Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about falling objects  (Read 415 times)

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about falling objects
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:20:43 am »

Can a creature be struck by another falling creature? What if i drop a kitty ontop of my UristMcGetthekitty from 5 z-lvls for ex.?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:37:40 am by goblolo »
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: question about falling objects
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:35:00 am »

Not sure actually. Hold on...

Ok. I started a miniature fort. Had a miner dig 7 z-levels straight down. Then I designated it as a pit and chucked animals in it.

The horse pushed the miner out of the way and the miner slammed into the wall. When this happened his right hand was broken. The horse died on impact.
Then I threw a yak bull in there. The miner had passed out from pain by now. The yak hit him and broke both his legs, crushed his torso and smashed his skull. The yak was only bruised by the impact.
I threw a dog down there. No effect. It missed the yak and smashed into the ground, breaking a leg and a lung.
I threw another dog down there. It struck the first dog, pushed him into the wall, and caused him to break his tail. The falling dog was uninjured.
I chucked in two cats too ... one did nothing. The other hit a dog without effect.

... and then I threw a steel anvil down there.
 The anvil bruised the Yak's heart, crushed a cats head and upper spine, crushed the other cat's teeth and sent them flying, it crushed one dog's leg and then sent him into the wall where he sustained additional bruising, it also hit the other dog, causing mild injury, and sending him into the wall where he was bruised.

In conclusion I think that creatures now work as other items. What happens depends on weight... I am sure there has been a lot of research done into this but it's always fun to do more research! If you throw a cat on UristMcGetthekitty then he might not even notice it. If you throw an elephant on him, he might be crushed to death.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:14 am »

What happens depends on weight...
weight and height

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:21:39 am »

In conclusion I think that creatures now work as other items. What happens depends on weight... I am sure there has been a lot of research done into this but it's always fun to do more research! If you throw a cat on UristMcGetthekitty then he might not even notice it. If you throw an elephant on him, he might be crushed to death.

Just testing it in the Arena, it seems a creature can dodge falling creatures, but not items, if they have the space to do so.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:24:05 am »

Just testing it in the Arena, it seems a creature can dodge falling creatures, but not items, if they have the space to do so.

They can dodge falling items in fortress mode. I found this out when I built a roundabout anti-troll device. The trolls would try to break down the front door, then I would pull a lever which opened a hatch 3 z-levels above the space in front of the door. The hatch was packed with heavy rock ore - and the troll dodged. He jumped 1 square away from the door.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:22:50 am »

Can one pit items? or is this done by a garbage dump over the shaft?
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:28:29 am »

Can one pit items? or is this done by a garbage dump over the shaft?
Garbage dump's the closest you can with selective dump commands.