Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to remove caravan loot drop?  (Read 1420 times)

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to remove caravan loot drop?
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:18:23 pm »

Every time I play a fort where a caravan gets klomped by goblins and my dwarves go and fetch a Ridiculously Huge Pile of Random Shit from the dead wagon, I lose interest in the game, and wind up starting a new embark. Since caravans get killed pretty regularly (at least when I'm playing), is there any way to make it so the wagons/pack animals delete their inventory when they 'die?'

Searching around yielded some information about removing caravans altogether, but I would imagine this would be a trickier thing to do, as it's not something that's already enabled or disabled by a tag in the raws, AFAIK.

Thanks!

-I should note that I do know to use DFhack/autodump, but it would be much cooler not to have to clean up manually.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove caravan loot drop?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:20:12 pm »

Nope.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »

That's sad, and I'll take your word for it, but it'd be great if you could elaborate on why it's impossible, so I can understand.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 04:25:04 pm »

See, the "loot drop" isn't "Creature dies, items appear." It's "Creature dies, items it had on it appear, as does its corpse." You can't do anything with what happens to a creature's inventory. I suppose you could make wagons have an ITEMCORPSE that was hot enough that it burnt the items up, but that's got its own issues...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:29:46 pm »

Well, I'm aware that those items aren't being generated on death or anything; I guess I'm wondering if there are ANY possibilities to do things to them, at the moment when the wagon dies.

Like, is there an equivalent of some sort of OnDeath event for a creature? How are demons that explode into steam when they die handled- is that hardcoded? I've read some about people creating interactions and reactions, and don't fully understand either, but is there any sort of command or event that gives you control over moving or deleting items? ..can I give a corpse a temperature that varies over time, or is it just a fixed number? I could deal with wagons flash incinerating their contents....

Sorry if I am being dense, I'm just very curious about this topic. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:33:29 pm by kuki »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 04:32:36 pm »

Well, I'm aware that those items aren't being generated on death or anything; I guess I'm wondering if there are ANY possibilities to do things to them, at the moment when the wagon dies.
Not to my knowledge.

Like, is there an equivalent of some sort of OnDeath event for a creature? How are demons that explode into steam when they die handled- is that hardcoded? I've read some about people creating interactions and reactions, and don't fully understand either, but is there any sort of command or event that gives you control over moving or deleting items?
I think the demons "exploding into steam" are dramatizations and/or demons made of steam. Interactions are useful, but they can't be set to be used on death and can't affect items.
Sig

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:34:13 pm »

OK, thank you for the rapid help.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 04:34:40 pm »

You're welcome.
Sig

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »

Can't you just forbid them all till the goblins gone?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 05:06:21 pm »

Well, yeah, but it is still unbalanced. It would be awesome if the goblins just ran of with the stuff. Especially in my mod it causes great inbalances, and I thought about the burning wagon corpse as well, but it will start a surface fire every time, killing/injuring dwarves and goblins alike, breaking the ambush usually, still leaving all animals in cages and metal tradegoods intact.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 02:11:08 am »

if you don't mind using it, DFHack can simply use "autodump destroy" to kill it all. Just pause, select the entire wagon using ->d ->b ->d (you will need to reclaim it all first before you destroy, that's also in the d -> b menu)

alternatively, just move it all into your base using autodump.

It's certainly better than just getting bored.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 01:39:06 pm »

There are two problems with that. One is human error - sometimes (okay, usually) when the caravan dies, I don't know it's happened until I'm faced with trying to control the tide of dwarves suddenly rushing outside to [store item in stockpile], and I [f]ollow one of them out to a dead wagon.

The other is that a wagon will often die on the trade depot, mixing all that ill-gotten human crap in with my legitimate purchases that I've yet to unload completely.

I would settle for an alert that pauses and recenters the game when a wagon gets killed. Is that plausible? And is it the wagon itself that takes damage, or the pack animals? I'm using a mod right now that adds a pause/alert any time a dwarf dies... *goes to troll around in the raws*

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 01:43:49 pm »

I would settle for an alert that pauses and recenters the game when a wagon gets killed. Is that plausible? And is it the wagon itself that takes damage, or the pack animals? I'm using a mod right now that adds a pause/alert any time a dwarf dies... *goes to troll around in the raws*
I don't believe you can make an alert that triggers on wagon death, since wagons aren't considered important enough to get announcements other then the generic "blank has died/scuttled".

IIRC if either the wagon is killed or one of the pack animals is damaged to the point of no longer being able to pull the wagon then the wagon explodes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.