Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why aren't my dwarves melting coins?  (Read 1273 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why aren't my dwarves melting coins?
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »

I was recently attempting to perform that exploit by which one is able to get a net gain in metal by minting and subsequently melting coins. However, despite the fact that the !500! adamantine coins I have are designated for melting, my dwarves refuse to melt them, even when given the order. They are not forbidden nor marked for dumping, and they are in a stockpile which is accessible by the furance operators, since one of them put it there.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Why aren't my dwarves melting coins?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »

Is the smeltery linked to different stockpiles? Workshops won't take stuff from outside of it's linked stockpiles. If it's not that, burrows? If not, it's dwarves being annoying and I have no idea.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »

Not either of those, but apparently it eventually got done since they aren't there anymore.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:19:29 am »

coins give 10% gain while leggins and giant axe blades give 50%. You can use it instead.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:24:41 am »

leggins and giant axe blades give 50%. You can use it instead.
Not with adamantine you can't - leggings and giant axe blades require 5 wafers to forge, not 1...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:33 am »

Not with adamantine you can't - leggings and giant axe blades require 5 wafers to forge, not 1...

damn them!!
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:40:31 am »

damn them!!
Coins' also easier to organize, you can set them aside somewhere in specific stockpile, without accidentally melting that masterwork that haven't been picked up yet :D

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:37:21 am »

You can't make platinum and aluminum axes either.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.