Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What comes after J R Tolkien.  (Read 8893 times)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
Re: What comes after J R Tolkien.
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 10:58:54 pm »

I would suggest the Tales of The Black Company by Glen Cook. It is rather dark take on most modern fantasty cliches written by (I think...)a Vietnam vet. It follows the story of a hard-as-nails mercanry company as the drift under the control of the standard (though female) fantasty overlord. They learn that she might not be as evil as the rebel. Also her husband was Satan and the Taken are douchebags. Then it goes to fantasty Indo-China and gets even cooler.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 11:31:16 pm »

Yeah, Glen Cook was in the navy during the Vietnam War. I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the front line, but he was in the theatre of war. He helped pioneer grunt-level fantasy in the genre. Though it loses a bit of its grunt-level style in the later books. Not that that is a bad thing, but it definitely changes over time.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 11:51:28 pm »

Croaker didn't really start out as a grunt. He was the top medic.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 12:14:20 am »

Yeah, but he had more of that perspective before he shifted up into a higher position.

It's somewhat hard to quantify just what level he operates at. He goes through some massive personal changes over his time with the company. We see him go through a whole bunch of shit. He grows over time. I think characterization and growth are definite strengths of the series as a whole. I wasn't always a fan of the plot in the later series, but the characters pulled me through until the end. I had to see what was going to happen to them.

I remember a few things better than I should considering I read the entire series of the span of a month in 2010.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2012, 12:21:46 am »

I heard he is writing a new one? I hope if it exists it comes out soon the entire
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
has some good possbilites for ideas and fan fiction.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 03:02:15 am »

I actually came into this thread to bitch about GoT, but then I realised you guys have a civil and productive conversation here.

You also suggested just about every enjoyable epic fantasy novel I know.

And Doom 1 and 2 are hella fun, just saying.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 03:23:11 am »

I would suggest the Tales of The Black Company by Glen Cook. It is rather dark take on most modern fantasty cliches written by (I think...)a Vietnam vet. It follows the story of a hard-as-nails mercanry company as the drift under the control of the standard (though female) fantasty overlord. They learn that she might not be as evil as the rebel. Also her husband was Satan and the Taken are douchebags. Then it goes to fantasty Indo-China and gets even cooler.

It's well written, but I quickly got tired of almost every character just being a badass merc.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 09:10:47 am »

Bumping this to say I picked up The Worm Ouroboros on a whim for 99 cent on Kindle.  I'm a little surprised.  Maybe because I'm still used to trying to slog through the classics and I'm in a college Shakespeare course so I've read a bunch of that too, but the writing's pretty easy so far.  It is a lot like the Illiad or a Norse saga in feel and the author does talk way too much about what people are wearing, but it's surprisingly readable.
Shoes...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2012, 09:18:11 am »

Well it isn't what I would call similar. Worlds away in fact, but god dammit it is good for you. Pratchett.
I'm really loving his latest industrial revolution.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2012, 09:28:43 am »

Bumping this to say I picked up The Worm Ouroboros on a whim for 99 cent on Kindle.  I'm a little surprised.  Maybe because I'm still used to trying to slog through the classics and I'm in a college Shakespeare course so I've read a bunch of that too, but the writing's pretty easy so far.  It is a lot like the Illiad or a Norse saga in feel and the author does talk way too much about what people are wearing, but it's surprisingly readable.
You know it's public domain, right? You could have gotten it for free without even bothering with warez sources

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0602051h.html
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2012, 10:56:14 am »

Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2012, 11:04:58 am »

Yes. Yes they did.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2012, 11:14:18 am »

@Cfoofoo: Lemme know what you think of Lord Gro when you're done. I'm always kind of on the fence about him. On the one hand, he's potentially this very deep character torn between his morals and his honor, between love and duty. On the other hand, he's potentially the biggest literary waffling loser this side of Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]