Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What comes after J R Tolkien.  (Read 8891 times)

Lee72

• Bay Watcher
  • ranting at the world
    • View Profile
What comes after J R Tolkien.
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:26:29 pm »

I have just finished reading the complete LOTR books by Tolkien.
Anyone know of anything similar (not Game of Thrones thanks!) I can read?
Thanks

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: What comes after J R Tolkien.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »

When you say LotR do you mean only the trilogy or does that also include the Hobbit, the Silmarillion etc.?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:36:59 pm »

When you say LotR do you mean only the trilogy or does that also include the Hobbit, the Silmarillion etc.?

If not, do pick up those two and the Book of Unfinished Tales and other stuff I might be forgetting.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »

The Children of Hurin is another good book of his.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:43:36 pm »

Not all that similar Tolkien's works, but I highly reccommend The Belgariad by David Eddings.
Now that I think about it, it is a tiny bit simmilar to LoTR, in a way..

edit:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:42:00 pm by Ultimuh »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:53:46 pm »

I like Terry Brooks, he writes pretty good books.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:54:57 pm »

+1 for David Eddings. Also consider the pair of Sparhawk trilogies by him. I forget the name of the trilogies, though.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:55:46 pm »

I like Terry Brooks, he writes pretty good books.

The Sword of Shannara is very good. Also The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson is arguably even better than LotR.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 01:08:57 pm »

The Sword of Shannara is very good.
Watch out for the first few books. I ground my way through the Silmarillion with gusto and I thought they were dry and overdetailed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lee72

• Bay Watcher
  • ranting at the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:33 pm »

The Sword of Shannara is very good. Also The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson is arguably even better than LotR.
[/quote]
I read Gardens of the Moon & Deadhouse Gates both were excellent and gory! but I would have to re-read them as I can't remember shit about them!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:43:37 pm »

Cruelty may, perhaps, be in my nature. In all honesty, I've heard that there's been several Tolkien fanfics that came out very impressively. I just... haven't really read them. LotR didn't scratch very many of my literary itches, for whatever reason.

Now, the old starcraft LotR custom maps...

I'd probably recommend trawling through thrift shops and places like goodwill and hunting down ones that sell used books for a quarter and just pick up everything fantasy and see what comes out well. Sometimes you hit something pretty impressive, and considering you get like 20+ tries for the price of a normal commercial book nowadays...

Or scumming around ebooks that were released for free. Might find something, there's a good body of text out there, even avoiding the more dubious collections.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 02:34:04 pm »

Try reading Anthony Piers, if you have a fetish for older men banging teenage girls, it will be right up your alley! It also has other stuff in it besides that...
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:37:38 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »

Not all that similar Tolkien's works, but I highly reccommend The Belgariad by David Eddings.
Now that I think about it, it is a tiny bit simmilar to LoTR, in a way..

edit:

The Belgariad (and the other, what 4? series that follow it) will indeed keep a body reading for a year straight. They're a bit different than LOTR though in tone and style. Characters are written in a much more personable way than in LOTR (where everyone is a bit starchy), but it gets overdone. Everyone in every single book Eddings has written is a smarmy wise-ass, the women are all rather imperious and cranky figures (who are also quite snarky) and after a time character personalities tend to blend into one another. Plus it pulls Deus Ex Machina out of its ass as a primary mover of the plot.

I like David Eddings a lot but over the years I've kind of become jaded by how he wrote. The multiple series are all epic, but I think Tolkien still has a better world that is more classical. While Eddings is more...conversational. Still, there are some great parts to his books. I love the 3 Troll Gods. Eat, Kill and ****.

Two series I'd recommend in addition to Eddings is The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. Another epic series that inspired one of the most bad ass movies Disney ever made (The Black Cauldron.) It's another tale of star-crossed heroes and the journey from boy to man.

The other would be the The Riftwar Saga (and everything that follows after it) by Raymond E. Feist. It's closer to what I'd call modern fantasy, a more adult version of David Eddings. While it's closer to a world based on an epic D&D campaign than Tolkien's high-falutin fantasy, it has very rich characters and spans generations of the world, bringing back characters from previous books as their older, more bad ass selves until they finally pass and their children take over. I think it's up to 4 series and at least 12 books.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lee72

• Bay Watcher
  • ranting at the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 02:58:19 pm »

I have read the Hobbit, but not the Silmarillion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5