Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming  (Read 616 times)

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFFORTRESS_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Farming
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:02:15 am »

Originally, not too much of a problem, but three years in and 79 dwarves to take care of have left me a bit worried. Farming is because a useless endeavor for the sheer about of people I need to feed. I have food, plenty of it. Turtle and prepared animal organs out the ass. But I could use more dwarven wine. To do this, you need to farm plump helmets (or buy). Easy, and something I set up within the first season. But, my farmers only seem to make use of 7 tiles, all in one row. That's it. My farm plot has mud (dusting and small piles), but they just don't use any more tiles. I even fertilized it!

Why is this happening, and how can I have them make use of all my farming plots?

Oh, and now they don't seem to planting seeds for some reason. It's a job listed as "inactive". And there are growers available for the job.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Farming
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:04:40 am »

Idiot-check: Do you have enough seeds?

Less so: Are your seeds all in one barrel which is getting hauled around to pick up every little seed?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:51 am »

I got a lot of Plump Helmet seeds (+200?). But they're all in one barrel.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:07:33 am by Alhash »

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:10:57 am »

It could be that the seed barrel is being carted around to the stills to collect seeds left over there.  Since the barrel is in use, the planters can't get at the seeds.  Try making a dedicated seed stockpile and remove seeds from your other piles.  Then set the barrel limit for the seeds stockpile to zero.

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:17:27 am »

I did just that, but nothing seems to have changed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:35:40 am »

Are the seed bags still in the barrel?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 11:42:56 am »

Eh, nevermind. My save file seems to have corrupted without backup. If I run into this problem again, I'll post it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »

If it happens again, check that the season's plantable, it could've changed to one you didn't have set to planting. Check for tiles with light in it, even one tile with light on it will stop underground planting.

Also, never enable barrels for seed stockpile, it leads to dwarves hauling barrel away for every seed, though you'd see cancelled job and it saying something about seed.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 06:42:59 pm »

Also: farm tiles on a mountain biome never grow anything. If the entire farm is on a mountain biome, it'll let you build it but tell you "no seeds available for this location" when you try to set it up. If part of the farm is on a non-mountain biome, you can designate seeds for planting, but your dwarves will only plant them in the non-mountain portion of the farm. So if your farm straddles the line between Mountain and something else (plains, swamp, whatever) then the dwarves will only use one side of it.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »

That's if it's aboveground, of course.
Sig