Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Roll to Defend Reality-Turn 14: Eh, he says  (Read 14503 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Defend Reality-Turn 5: Battle: Fight
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2012, 09:28:05 am »

"MY WORD! DANGER APPROACHES!"

Explode the leg of one of the front palanquin carriers. Lay down on the roof for cover from potential retribution.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:44:22 am by Harry Baldman »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2012, 09:29:49 am »

((I don't know my standing health and Willpower! :D))

As Hikari's eyes adjusted to the appearance of her new sword - a pretty fine and brilliant make, which she would ask the Knight later on, on how to use it better - the anomaly's appearance surprised her.

"Alright, Karn, Waldemaar, I will start the connection with both of you. The anomaly seems to have appeared and I'm not an expert on head-on attacks. As a Servant of the Guardian, I'd try to flank it.

"As it is in an urban area, I fear innocents will be harmed if we can't draw it...farther from that building."

Sneak and try to flank the Anomaly, but do not attack. Expend Willpower in Charging up {Vindication} while doing so.

Spoiler: Hikari Tora ; Tiruin (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:53 am »

((Oh god. This button can't be good.))
"I dont think it would be very wise to press this. Atleast without backup. I'll probably come back later. This place seems a bit dangerous to explore alone."
Make a map of these strange walkways, with these spots:
  • Drunken Lantern/Tiki
  • Nightmare Factory
  • Walkways starting at drunken lantern and their direction.
Then return to the Drunken Tiki and climb down to see how the others are doing.
((I'm going to stop my item-creating streak after this turn.))
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:45:30 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2012, 10:36:26 am »

((@GM: I'm unable to understand one thing - as a warrior, I get two traits. Hikari has Psion in her subclass, which acts as a half-trait, half-drawback. Then two Spells, Vindication and Faith, then two Traits, Solar-powered and Part Anomaly. Doesn't that add up to five special traits/abilities, when warriors are limited to two traits(passives)/abilities(actives)?

Edit: Oh, apparently Tiruin told me Hikari is somewhat weaker than the original ones, although I'm not sure how that plays out in the game.))

And finally...The anomaly was moving towards them. It was their duty to protect, and so they would. The only obvious problem was the absence of a good amount of his teammates, who had wandered away and never came back.

"The anomaly approaches!" Karn said with a booming voice, trying to call the attention of all his allies nearby as he notched an arrow.

His eyes narrowed as he tried to aim for the anomaly itself and spare the mindcontrolled humans.
"Avoid killing the mindcontrolled humans, destroy the anomaly."

Shoot the Runed Obsidian Arrow at the anomaly.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:48:55 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2012, 03:11:46 pm »

This must be the battle where the villain pwns the hero before he figures out a way to defeat the villain for good!

Run towards farm. Knock on door, head inside if allowed or if no response.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2012, 05:28:50 pm »

((Awww, I really wanted on that platform, now I don't know what to do.... *sigh* guess I'll go stop the anomaly)

"Assault from above!"

Use Pool of Poison underneath the anomaly thing while floating down.  Wish I had some kind of covering for my tits.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2012, 05:30:08 pm »

Use Pool of Poison underneath the anomaly thing while floating down.  Wish I had some kind of covering for my tits.
((This is first class sig material.

On another note, if you had hidden those and asked Karn, he'd spend a turn helping you get clothes. I also considered Hikari's clothing retconned, to explain how Karn actually talked to her.))
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:32:00 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »

((I try))

Edit:  ((I fully expect to get a 1 and shrink my tits btw.  I can just see it happening.  Also, Karn should totally just carry around spare clothing and slap it on anyone not clothed enough in his opinion.))
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:35:43 pm by V-Norrec »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2012, 05:37:25 pm »

Edit:  ((I fully expect to get a 1 and shrink my tits btw.  I can just see it happening.  Also, Karn should totally just carry around spare clothing and slap it on anyone not clothed enough in his opinion.))
((Suits the character, but unfortunately, we have an anomaly to deal with. Extra clothing to slap on people comes later.))
>Yes?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »

((For the record, I request a bikini top and luau skirt for no reason.))

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2012, 07:50:21 pm »

So here is the jist on extra-reality enteties.
The first class of extra-reality beings are Anomalies.
Anomalies are probably infinite in number, nothing, not even The Guardian knows for sure however.
They exist in massive numbers beyond realities. Their goals are to eat and absorb realities, for one of two reasons: A) They find them abhorrent and abominations, B) They gain power by eating realities, the stronger the reality is the better. Eating a MetaReality core gives them massive powers.
They are pretty rare within realities however, for the dual reasons that if a single one gets in either it gets killed by the inhabitants quickly, or it consumes and destroys the reality it has infiltrated, the second reason is that The Guardian is able to protect nearly every reality from any kind infiltration, and kill the majority of beings that do infiltrate.
Most Anomalies are pretty strong, and have no problem traversing realities. The most powerful ones are near unkillable (even by The Guardian), and their mere presence distorts and destroys weaker realities. However, they can't enter realities without certain circumstances being met, but once they do get in, its almost certain that the reality will be destroyed. The best that you can reasonably do is banish them.

The second class are beings that got their powers from Anomalies.
These are far rarer then Anomolies, but still not unheard of.
They absorb their powers in some way, usually either by eating them or using local magic to steal their essence.
These are rather rare, since usually a being that does either of these will lose their sense of self, and become absorbed by the Anomaly they tried to consume. It also requires them to have some latent (but almost always super tiny) extra-reality senses, since thats the only way they will be truly able to eat their essence or effect their essence with magic (rather then just killing them).

The third class are those who are are made/born without any interference from outside reality.
These are vanishingly rare, only a few examples with active noticeable powers exist, in order to quality they must be able to travel from one reality to another, no matter how hard it is for them or how long it takes.

The Guardian is an example of this, and is perhaps the most powerful being in all of reality, probably more powerful then even the largest Anomaly. His origins are long lost in the mists of time, and his original reality was probably destroyed long ago.
The reason they are so rare is that grabbing onto powers from outside reality without any assistance or things from outside reality is near impossible, all the magic systems that you can use are from within, and all the scientific systems follow local laws of reality. It is unknown how any come into existence.

Everyone but Hikari is a cross between the second and third type. Although you have no anomaly in you, you were created by The Guardian, and are also part of him, but still  not him. This is the first time he has ever attempted this something like this, usually settling for massive spell bursts from a distance, or sending a conduit to his power to directly protect the reality (which is what is usually necessary if a higher class Anomaly gets through).
The cost was truly massive, since you had to have the required powers to stabilize and create realities very far from a core (something that basically only The Guardian can do), had to travel a very very long distance in a very short time (while also ignoring any meta-reality barriers that were set up to prevent Anomalies from traveling between realities), and had to be made in such a way that if one of you was consumed by a Anomaly, then you wouldn't give it massive powers.
At the outset the willpower expenditure wasn't worth it, but he hopes that given enough time you can grow to be strong enough to be worth the expenditure he made.

Hikari was a kitsune that ate a Anomaly, and gained its powers. The Guardian stabilized her existence (injecting some of his power to help with the stabilization), and extended her a offer to work for him, which she then accepted (or thought that she accepted, The Guardian isn't a big fan of any possible interference with his plans).

Changes to communication rules: You can communicate with any of your fellow defenders psychically, and it automatically (and instantly, so you don't need to wait till the turn) works as long as they don't actively reject it. Only works within realities, communication between realities is a tricky business.
The willpower cost covers all communication from the initiator for that turn. Responding (including noting that they received the message) costs willpower from the receiver.
1 willpower: Instant voice communication
2 willpower: Can send mental pictures as well.
5 willpower: Mind melding, can share all sensory information. If accepted causes a -1 malus to all not directly related roles.

You can't initiate communication with someone you don't know is in trouble or at a neat spot just to give validation for you moving over to them. They can initiate with you however to go "Hey, this place is awesome/OH GOD I AM BEING TORN TO PIECES". You can't ever share any information that you don't really know (for instance Ssrah could have said she was up near a walkway last turn, but couldn't really have said where she was in relationship to The Drunken Lantern).

Only those of you who have physically met Hikari can accept or initiate communications from her, since you would assume by the contact she is an Anomaly, and thus automatically cut off contact.

((@GM: I'm unable to understand one thing - as a warrior, I get two traits. Hikari has Psion in her subclass, which acts as a half-trait, half-drawback. Then two Spells, Vindication and Faith, then two Traits, Solar-powered and Part Anomaly. Doesn't that add up to five special traits/abilities, when warriors are limited to two traits(passives)/abilities(actives)?

Edit: Oh, apparently Tiruin told me Hikari is somewhat weaker than the original ones, although I'm not sure how that plays out in the game.
She won't be functionally weaker at first, although it is possible that she will grow slower (haven't really decided if this will be the case).

On the note of current balance: Her subclass doesn't really count as a bonus trait, because it isn't really a bonus. Her Part Anomaly isn't exactly a great trait. Having a +2 longsword she creates randomly spray out bees to attack everything nearby, or having a wall she created turn to cheese next turn won't be very helpful at all.
That gives three traits, compared to your two traits+Enchanted Item (which counts as a trait). She might be a bit more powerful then you, but I am not quite sure.

Norrec, your Naga is on the ground now, I realize that I wasn't perfectly clear in this, but dats da way it is. You will need a new action for this turn (you will still be in time to cast a poison cloud this turn if you hurry over there though).

I don't think I missed anything I needed to cover, but if I did just point it out again and I will cover it.
Onto writing up this turn!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the mists on the ground cleared up last turn, you can see for quite a ways now (although its different up in the treetops).
EDIT2: Numerous grammer fixes. Garg.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:02:15 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2012, 09:59:32 pm »

((That cover post. I am amazed. :D))

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2012, 01:49:42 am »

((That cover post. I am amazed. :D))
???
Are you talking about my thread OP (slightly ironically I would imagine since there is so much I should have put there that I didn't)?
Or some other cover post?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2012, 02:39:40 am »

Turn 6
Elemental meat puppets

Non battle actions:
((Oh god. This button can't be good.))
"I dont think it would be very wise to press this. Atleast without backup. I'll probably come back later. This place seems a bit dangerous to explore alone."
Make a map of these strange walkways, with these spots:
  • Drunken Lantern/Tiki
  • Nightmare Factory
  • Walkways starting at drunken lantern and their direction.
Then return to the Drunken Tiki and climb down to see how the others are doing.
((I'm going to stop my item-creating streak after this turn.))
There are 4 walkways from the nightmare factory, one back to The Drunken Tiki, and three others, one going up to the north, the second going up to the south and a third going up to the east (by going up I mean increasing in height the farther they get away). On each of them a sign reads "Press the button before going on these if you know whats good for you". Mist covers their entire length after about five feet has passed. One appears to be made of bones, one appears to be made of amber, and a third appears to be made of shadows.

You create a map! [4] And its a pretty good one at that.
You now have a partial map of the walkways.

((If you want I will draw you a actual map once you get some more locations and walkways, but for just two stations and a few walkways it isn't really nessassary)).

You walk back to the drunken tiki, then start to [4+1] climb down to the roof of the drunken tiki, you are down in seconds. You see a battle going on between the Anomaly and some of your fellow defenders.

This must be the battle where the villain pwns the hero before he figures out a way to defeat the villain for good!

Run towards farm. Knock on door, head inside if allowed or if no response.
You stand up, only to discover that most of your ribs and the bones in your chest are broken.
You gain Ruined Body until your chest heals. You figure that that strange starfish could fix you. But not knowing exactly where he is, you continue to head to the Vario farm, figuring that you could find something there to fix you as well.
((You can probably heal yourself with willpower too, but that would be slower then using a potion or getting the starfish to heal you)).
The weirdo is nowhere in sight probably opting to fix his broken leg and take the old villain you hurt to the hospital.
You manage to walk over to the farm, and walk along a dirt path till you get to what appears to be a shop. The inside is immaculate, and potions of every thinkable kind line the walls, some of them are even locked up, you assume that these are the really expensive or dangerous ones. The shopkeeper warns you that some of the more exotic ones may have dangerous side effects, and are just there since people will pay for them. As he talks he twirls the ends of his mustache around his fingers.
After you look around a bit he asks "So, what do you want to buy?"
((I will be nice and warn you once, it wouldn't be smart to try to steal from this shop or rip him off))

Battle Round 1: Allies
"MY WORD! DANGER APPROACHES!"

Explode the leg of one of the front palanquin carriers. Lay down on the roof for cover from potential retribution.
Waldemaar flexes his tentacles, and a wave of force tries to [4v3] pop off the leg of the front right palanquin carrier, the leg falls off and shatters, but it didn't have the force you expected, and although the man you hit falls to the floor, he manages to keep the palanquin upright, since it turns out that what you thought was just a meat puppet, but was completely made of stone instead. The Anomaly must have twisted what was once a regular human into something that no longer was.
You then lay down on the roof so they can no longer see you.
His eyes narrowed as he tried to aim for the anomaly itself and spare the mindcontrolled humans.
"Avoid killing the mindcontrolled humans, destroy the anomaly."

Shoot the Runed Obsidian Arrow at the anomaly.
[1+1] You flub the shot completely, and the arrow hits the wall of a nearby building.
"Alright, Karn, Waldemaar, I will start the connection with both of you. The anomaly seems to have appeared and I'm not an expert on head-on attacks. As a Servant of the Guardian, I'd try to flank it.
"As it is in an urban area, I fear innocents will be harmed if we can't draw it...farther from that building."

Sneak and try to flank the Anomaly, but do not attack. Expend Willpower in Charging up {Vindication} while doing so.
While all this is going on, Hikari tries to sneak past [4] the anomaly and his minions, it doesn't even look in her direction, probably because they assume that since she is almost like it, then it will be on its side.
((You don't expend willpower in charging. I assume you are talking about Empowering the action, but that is done on the turn the action is rolled)).
((Also, as a mage, you won't ever really manage to use physical weapons very well at all, they are fine as last ditch defenses, but other then that you will always be far overshadowed by the warriors if you want to stab stuff)).
((Willpower added and health added to your sheet))

I don't want to wait till Norrec posts a action (since that means the turn will have to wait at least 8 hours for me to get up), and am about 50% sure that Norrec would just have Ssrah run in and zap a poison cloud at the palanquin (since there isn't really much else she can do if she wants to fight in this battle this turn). So that's what is going to happen.

You run straight to where the Anomaly is, and cast Poison Cloud at the palanquin [6v4], but before the spell can reach it one of the bearers rushes off, and runs into it. It explodes into the pool when it hits him, and as the mists his right arm falls off. He isn't quite dead yet though. And it hits some strange lady sneaking off to the side of the fight [6v3], she starts to cough up blood (-4 health, -2 health from poison next turn), and manages to run out of the cloud.
((There goes your stealth and the bonus on your multiturn action Tiruin))

Round 1: Axis
The men carrying the Anomaly suddenly put down the palanquin and shake.
The one whos leg fell off has skin begins to slough off too, and reveals stone beneath his skin.
The one who intercepted the Poison Pool bursts into flames.
A thirds skin turns blue, electricity bursts from the skin of a forth, the fifth disappears in a flash of blinding light, and the sixth turns to shadows.

The Anomaly opens a connection to Hikari's mind and says "Welcome comrade, it feels good not to be alone again. Help me destroy these pitiful shards of our enemy, and we shall travel up together, to gorge on the MetaReality core, nothing can stop us, not when The Guardian is so far away, and all he left in our way are these few toys that he thinks can stop us.
The Light Man teleports in front of Hikari, and [4] purges the poison from her system before it can do too much damage.

The Stone Man [6v6] picks his leg up, and throws it straight at the chest of Ssrah, who dodges it like a boss. Then the Fire Man sucks in his breath, and [2] tries to blow out a gout of fire, but just poisons himself.
The Dark Man warps up to the roof, and [3v5] tries to hit that stupid mage that blew the leg off the Stone Man, but he can't even find him, the Anomaly thinks that he must have teleported away or be a bloody ninja or something
The Ice Man [3v1] sucks his cheeks in, and spits out an icicle a inch thick and Karn. It hits him square in the chest, although most of the blast is negated by the runes on his armor (-2 health)
The electricity man surges forward at Karn, [2] but falls on his face halfway there.

Spoiler: Current Reality (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Karsten, Elven Ranger (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jovian the Brave (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ssrah of the Dunes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Karn, Knight of Sigils (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hikari Tora ; Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Was having a little trouble whether to have a 2 turn cooldown mean: Can't use for two actions after casting, or can't use one action after casting (since 1 turn cooldown could mean that you can only use once a turn). I decided on the second, and changed everyone but Waldemaars cooldowns to reflect it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:49:29 am by lemon10 »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2012, 03:12:44 am »

((Awww, I really wanted on that platform, now I don't know what to do.... *sigh* guess I'll go stop the anomaly)

"Assault from above!"

((Is an action))
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19