Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to mass target all hostiles in the caves via military?  (Read 824 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Any way to mass target all hostiles in the caves via military?
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:41:23 pm »

say I don't want to have to deal with every pause of someone dyeing (not sure on spellure)

but... say I see a message that someone's been found dead, and I see in a prior message someone's been attacked by something (in the caverns)

is there anyway to set my military to attack all hostile creatures in the caverns?

do I just set a zone for them (to do so)?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to mass target all hostiles in the caves via military?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »

Unfortunately, the only way to do something like this is order your squads to move to spots in the cavern and hope they decide to attack anything hostile.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:36:20 am »

I tried something similar to patrol points around the fringe.  I set 4 in each corner; and the squad constantly cruise the regions perimeter.  Very little did they kill, they always seemed to be out of position.  So I don't do this anymore. 

If your in a deep cavern, funnel the visitors into a room, near the center of the region, and handle them there, with the trap of choice.  Seal up, when ya find one, or just monitor the u list.

Lastly, I've been using the u list far far too much.  I tab over to enemies then I zoom to them.  I hit s, pick squad, k, kill targets, use r, rectangle paint the enemies.  This is easy as I see them on the screen, thanks to u list. 

The squad will go there and kill them all, until the last one, then reset to targeting nothing, as well as going into an inactive icon.  Even tho, they are not inactive.  Not sure why 34.11 does this, but it does. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:27:54 am »

Well, not mass target. But you could mass-exterminate all cave wildlife with your military.

1) connect pressurized magma to ceiling level of cave, blocked only by a single floodgate
2) contruct a lever linked to that floodgate
3) have one of your military dwarves pull the lever

Voila, now your military exterminated all cave wildlife in one go.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:37:23 am »

Well, not mass target. But you could mass-exterminate all cave wildlife with your military.

1) connect pressurized magma to ceiling level of cave, blocked only by a single floodgate
2) contruct a lever linked to that floodgate
3) have one of your military dwarves pull the lever

Voila, now your military exterminated all cave wildlife in one go.
Wouldn't you have to deactivate their service? It'd be technically non-military at the lever pulling :D
I'd be more worried about being able to get water for obsidian farming and forest farm flooding!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:44:06 am »

You don't need to remove them from military. Off-duty should be enough to have them pull a lever, and if that fails due to excessive use of individual training sessions, a forced off-duty (undesignate all barracks, then all your military dwarves will do their civilian jobs while still being in the military).

Or you could build a pressure plate instead of a lever and order your squad to stand on it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:51:09 am »

s-a-k-m-select all critters in the caverns. Probablem solved.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »

I wish painting targets in rectangles worked over z-levels, like digging designations.  Its a little hard to get used to that the interface, until ya become used to it.  I always want to target them with paint rectangle, and then hit esc.  I always forget to hit return, to input the multiple targets.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 06:39:35 pm »

You can also select the creatures you want to kill from a list of everything targetable on the map. s-[squad]-k-l, and then you have your list of killables.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »

Painting squad kill orders with rectangles works. Many a bugbat can attest to that. You can see the target unit list increase as you add z-levels that have viable targets in them.

Unless this somehow has not been actually working, I've never really checked corpses against kill orders or watched the yakkity sax caverns routine, just assumed the end of the work cancellations indicated success.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 12:16:27 am »

I couldn't get my rectangle to span more than one z-level.  I'll try, again.  Prolly my own stupidity.

The end of these battles is a bit iffy.  Some of the soldiers drop active Mil icons, by their own damn choice.  It's one thing to clear the target, its another to imply uniform changes, Mil icon to Civ icon.  Something after the skirmishes isn't quite kosher in this version.  I'm not sure I enjoy automated target clearing, with this added icon befuddlement.  But I'm still adapting... HEH!

Its fun working over the migrating monsters.