Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The ideal entrance  (Read 1408 times)

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: The ideal entrance
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 08:28:14 am »

If you happen to stumble into a nice Z-1 volcano, you can have any people trying to get in the fort walk around the perimeter of the volcano. Set traps so that invaders dodge into the lava below.
No goblinite ever, though.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 11:35:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep. That's a mine cart grinder, leading directly into my fort. Its not complete yet, as the rest of the drawbridges are awaiting an iron mine cart to be dumped on them.

At the pull of a lever, the bridge retracts, sending the mine cart flying. The ramp tracks alternate between NS and EW, and create a perpetual motion machine.

I figure if any invaders make it through those mine carts (which, seeing how fast they move, is VERY unlikely) they deserve the chance to be inside the fort.

Thread where I shamelessly stole the idea from: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114394.0http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114394.0

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 03:29:10 pm »

Honestly, I've found that having an armor or weapons rack outside, with a couple of two man squads set to use it for training works pretty well.  A three wide line of cage traps and two three wide lines of weapon traps back them in case some goblins try to sneak in while all three squads are off slaughtering their buddies.  So far, no invader has proved awesome enough to break into my main fort.  (Granted, the biggest guy to give it a try so far has been a Cyclops, but I've also seen off a couple of sieges).

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 06:27:03 pm »

Honestly, I've found that having an armor or weapons rack outside, with a couple of two man squads set to use it for training works pretty well.  A three wide line of cage traps and two three wide lines of weapon traps back them in case some goblins try to sneak in while all three squads are off slaughtering their buddies.  So far, no invader has proved awesome enough to break into my main fort.  (Granted, the biggest guy to give it a try so far has been a Cyclops, but I've also seen off a couple of sieges).

i used the same till 80 gobbos with mounts crowded my dwarves. Not a great deal you can do against shear mass, solutions are either: 1. fodder 2. better defense
The other problem is the gobbos using fodder + crossbows, yes my dwarf with legendary armour/block/weapon/dodge will avoid 99.9% but he'll get hit eventually (already has and healed up cos crazy heal rate) but no fortress stands forever, you simply give up first ;)
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: 1 [2]