Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SSDs  (Read 660 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SSDs
« on: October 27, 2012, 06:17:54 pm »

I'm looking at getting an SSD for a boot drive in my system, but I saw somewhere that there can be issues with bios. Is this something that happens more in older systems, or is it something I should look into? Also, how would I transfer the files? Would I need to do a fresh install of Windows, or is there a way to just copy files over? I have an external drive if needed. Any other advice would be appreciated as well.

MOBO: MSI P67A-GD65
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SSDs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:53:48 am »

Maybe BIOS is an issue if you're BIOS/motherboard is really old...I had never problems with it.

There are tools available to copy a hard disk 1:1, so no need to reinstall your OS. Just google for it...
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:25:58 am »

SSDs needs to run on ACHI or RAID mode for drive support but it can still run in IDE mode. You could do a image copy on the ssd but i wouldn't recommend it due to the nature of the drive vs. a hard drive and rather you just go ahead and reinstall windows (i hope you have 7 too)

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:42:17 pm »

A fresh install is recommended, read up alignment on SSDs. Also, they run slower when in IDE mode, but any newer motherboard model should support AHCI.