Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Keeping your dwarves busy  (Read 2404 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping your dwarves busy
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 02:31:50 pm »

If you don't want them to idle because you don't want them making friends, why don't you just do away with your meeting area completely, and give each dwarf a room of their own to hang around in?  It's not like making 100-200 individual bedrooms is hard or time-consuming if you've got that much dwarfpower going spare.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »

With no meeting area set at all, won't they default back to the spot where you embarked? If you want to prevent friends, you can better make a few very large meeting areas. Dwarves only socialize when standing right next to each other.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »

The embark spot's meeting capabilities disappear when the embark wagon is dismantled for scrap logs.

Could that chain/unchain pet loop, could that be made to power a mechanism, via civilian triggered pressure plates, like from a dozen sequentially, from in a high traffic hall?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 09:10:55 pm »

The embark spot's meeting capabilities disappear when the embark wagon is dismantled for scrap logs.

Could that chain/unchain pet loop, could that be made to power a mechanism, via civilian triggered pressure plates, like from a dozen sequentially, from in a high traffic hall?
I'd say it could as long as you make sure that the plates are in the path the dwarves will take. You could just put them in the shortest passage between them or make sure of it by putting it in the only path between.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 11:48:01 pm »

Idle dwarf managing is the very reason I always play with POPCAP at 60-70 at most. Out of that number, a dozen or so are highly specialized dwarves with no hauling enabled, a dozen are laborers with all hauling labors, architecture, carpentry, masonry, mechanics (workshops profiles limited to the specialized dwarf), around 20 are specialized military dwarves with no labors enabled at all, and the rest are semi-specialized workers, usually in little used jobs (milking, shearing, fish processing, medical skills, animal training, crossbow-making etc.) which have hauling enabled along their job.
Should the need for semi-specialized dwarves's skills become dire, I temporarily deactivate their hauling jobs.

This way I usually never have more than 13-15 idlers around with some micromanaging, and when that does happen it's because all highly specialized dwarves have done more than necessary, and are getting some well-deserved idling in their great rooms.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:49:43 pm by wagawaga »

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 02:37:10 am »

I usually play with a popcap of 100 and a limit of children at 10. There's no way to keep 100+ dwarves busy all the time, but with all the hauling labor enabled and burst labor activities like building a wall, I don't care. There's nothing bad about having that many drones.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 02:41:16 am »

I personally set the grand majority of them on some meaningless task. "Smooth the entirety of the new hall!", or "Go collect plants from the caverns". Is semi-useful, and keeps them busy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:59 pm »

There's nothing bad about having that many drones.
it is reassuring hearing other people say that, I guess. I suppose I'll get used to having some drones.
"Smooth the entirety of the new hall!"
right-SMOOTHING. I'd forgotten about mass smoothing. that is my favorite answer so far! thanks.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 07:03:09 pm »

Everyone who isn't specialized in one way or another is always building or mining. Always.

The picks never stop swinging. The mason's workshops never stop churning out blocks. The dwarves never stop building higher and higher, wider and wider ...

Also; I make many dining areas, meeting areas, statuary gardens ... but I make them small. That way; only a few dwarves can attend a party at a time. Dwarves spread out during lunch etc, etc ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:06 pm »

Idle dwarf managing is the very reason I always play with POPCAP at 60-70 at most. Out of that number, a dozen or so are highly specialized dwarves with no hauling enabled, a dozen are laborers with all hauling labors, architecture, carpentry, masonry, mechanics (workshops profiles limited to the specialized dwarf), around 20 are specialized military dwarves with no labors enabled at all, and the rest are semi-specialized workers, usually in little used jobs (milking, shearing, fish processing, medical skills, animal training, crossbow-making etc.) which have hauling enabled along their job.
Should the need for semi-specialized dwarves's skills become dire, I temporarily deactivate their hauling jobs.

This way I usually never have more than 13-15 idlers around with some micromanaging, and when that does happen it's because all highly specialized dwarves have done more than necessary, and are getting some well-deserved idling in their great rooms.
Do you ever get HFS with that? As far as I know it doesn't start showing up till you hit 80

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:55 pm »

Do you ever get HFS with that? As far as I know it doesn't start showing up till you hit 80
Nope, HFS is always there. You can get it from the get go.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 [2]