Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Bait.  (Read 622 times)

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Bait.
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:22:32 pm »

I need animal bait to draw the goblins into a hallway, then smash them. I don't really understand how to do this without putting the animals in danger. Any way to do it safely?

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Bait.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 02:40:42 pm »

I don't know if they'll go after something that's behind windows. If they don't, having the animal behind an open gate that you shut after they come in may do it in a pinch.

I'm also not sure if they'll chase after something they can see but not get, but having the animal on a grate above the hallway might work.

Hasse

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining Dwarf, always mines, nothing else!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »

If you don't want to make your animals die as baits you can always use useless Dorfs ooooor a, something :|

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:19:38 pm »

No way to do it that I know of, they gotta be able to path to the critter to be lured. Maybe have so many traps that they explodes long before whatever you dropped in get a speck of blood.

Just drop a bird in, they comes in explosive waves anyway.

maltapotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »

keep the bait out of LOS and they will still path to it. keep it chained so it wont run away. either sacrifice it, or set up a pressure plate to close a bridge or something to keep the gobs from killing it. or make sure they die before they can reach the tasty bait.

there is something on the wiki about a trap like that. but im pretty sure it kills the bait too.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »

Build your trap hall with a door at each end. Link both doors to a lever (near where your dwarves idle) and also link both doors to a pressure plate, triggered by creatures, inside the hall. Make sure that in order to reach your bait animal, the invaders must pass over the plate, with about ten tiles of space between the plate and the door to the bait. (I'd suggest a two-bridge hall, with the pressure plate in a one-tile opening between the two smashing compartments.) Open the doors with the lever when you're ready to go, and when the invaders rush in to slay your might war chicken, they will inadvertently lock themselves in. You can also link the bridges to the pressure plate, so they automatically smash themselves and all you have to do is reset the system with the lever.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:37:57 pm »

Build your trap hall with a door at each end. Link both doors to a lever (near where your dwarves idle) and also link both doors to a pressure plate, triggered by creatures, inside the hall. Make sure that in order to reach your bait animal, the invaders must pass over the plate, with about ten tiles of space between the plate and the door to the bait. (I'd suggest a two-bridge hall, with the pressure plate in a one-tile opening between the two smashing compartments.) Open the doors with the lever when you're ready to go, and when the invaders rush in to slay your might war chicken, they will inadvertently lock themselves in. You can also link the bridges to the pressure plate, so they automatically smash themselves and all you have to do is reset the system with the lever.

I use something like this, except it is a flooding chamber, so I can keep whatever I want.