Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need a guide!  (Read 929 times)

Seanifer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I need a guide!
« on: October 27, 2012, 12:51:58 pm »

Can someone post a link to a guide I can use for patch 0.34.11? It'd really help.. I'd prefer a written guide but I guess a youtube guide would help too. Im kinda noobish at Dwarf Fortress and trying to understand things and learn stronger.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: I need a guide!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:55:13 pm »

1. Patch?

2. The game's pretty much the same as always. Anything written after minecarts will still apply perfectly, and most older guides will with a little modification.

3. Do what I did: Jump right into it!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Seanifer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:57:24 pm »

I've been playing for a while. I played a whoile ago for like a month. then ive been playing for a week. I guess it works, but I dont know. After about 50 dwarves I just.. everything falls apart. 0.34.11 is the patch. I simply need a real good guide that'll give me advice, direction and teach me the steps to normally take.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »

After 50 dwarves? You might want to look for a utility to manage your dwarves. I think one's called Dwarf Therapist. I don't know where to find it, but it's popular. I've not used any utilities out of habit, but I do manually manage them all upward to 200 or so.

Otherwise, you'll get a lot more help asking about specific issues/concepts, there're no real good guide for DF that I'm aware of. It's a complicated game with environment differing every embark :D

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »

This should be enough to get you through any problems you might encounter
...warning: might contain serious spoilers that might lessen the !!FUN!! to be had with DF.
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 01:02:13 pm »

0.34.11 is the version. There's a big difference.

Advice?
Don't embark anywhere that sounds dangerous. Avoid aquifers, try to find a volcano. Dig a farm in soil, plant plump helmets. Brew some alcohol once you've got enough of a surplus. Draft worthless migrants and send them at random animals unarmed to train them. Buy as much metal as you can from the dwarven caravan, using rock mugs and the clothes of dead dwarves. Head back over here if you have more questions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Seanifer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 01:04:05 pm »

I use dwarf therapist. I just don't know a good setup.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »

The Wiki has a good beginner's guide. I don't have the link handy, so just search dwarf fortress wiki. Then scroll down on the main page. It gives you a step by step guide to set up a working, though very basic, fort. From there, I'd suggestion YouTube. Capnduck is a lot of fun to watch. Just remember that no matter how well you play, or how awesome the fort you build is, it will fail. Don't get discouraged, just start over. As for population management, you can try dwarf therapist. It's a great tool for beginners, as it let's you see all the skills of all your dwarves at once. But once ypu become accustomed to managing a larger number of dwarves, I suggest just doing it in game by assigning labors(and nicknames if you want) as migrants enter the map. And don't forget to specialize. Remove all labors other than mining from miners, turn off hauling for your blacksmith, so on and so forth.