Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Help  (Read 599 times)

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFFORTRESS_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Animal Help
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:24:47 am »

I need a bit of help with someone animal troubles.

I've got a bunch of them. I would gladly kill most of them off, as I don't have any need for anything but dogs and cats right now. How can I do this? Traps, is one possibility, but I need some help when it comes to making them. I'm not sure if I can just butcher them on the spot.

Secondly, the crap the cats drag in (bug and small animal remains), how do I just get rid of them quickly, rather than having to find them and dump them manually? Is d > b > d the only option?

Maestro Ugo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:27:57 am »

For nr. 2 specify a refuse stockpile and your dwarves will bring the remains out as they find them.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:28:40 am »

Press (z) and take a look at the animal screen. You can butcher them with (b) instead of designating them individually.

For the remains, refuse stockpile. Place it outside so you don't get miasma.

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFFORTRESS_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:37:28 am »

Ah wonderful! I've never been so so happy to see puppies and kittens get slaughtered. Thank you.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:45:15 pm »

Press (z) and take a look at the animal screen. You can butcher them with (b) instead of designating them individually.

You learn something new every day :D Thanks for this, this is going to speed up my horse-raising and -butchering industry by a nice amount.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:21:36 am »

Pets though, require extra work. I usually make a 25z drop zone, with a bridge over the pit and a 1x1 pasture. Stick the pets in the pasture, pull a lever... And be sure to never open the bottom of the pit.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:37:21 am »

For nr. 2 specify a refuse stockpile and your dwarves will bring the remains out as they find them.

fairly sure i've even seen the cats haul their own refuse to the pile before... though it's also possible i'm delusional. i certainly won't rule that out.

Pets though, require extra work. I usually make a 25z drop zone, with a bridge over the pit and a 1x1 pasture. Stick the pets in the pasture, pull a lever... And be sure to never open the bottom of the pit.

put an atom smasher at the bottom. pull it every once in a while. no chance of remains ever being found, not even if a dwarf is dumb enough to get themselves launched down there and spots them just before they die.