Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Puppy vs Goblin (War Dogs Suck)  (Read 4026 times)

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy vs Goblin (War Dogs Suck)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 08:37:36 pm »

Dogs saved my dwarves lives and time more than once.

Also, they rushed a Roc once before it could get to my dwarves and began to bite and latch onto it. The Roc tried to break free each of the bites(dozens) but just couldn't.

Finaly a Dwarf came with a steel spear and killed it before it could kill the rest of the dogs(about 8 died trying to hold it) and we feasted that night!
that's only because rocs are almost as pitiful as war dogs

the last roc I fought took 1 bolt and gave in to the pain

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »

A lot of people believe bolts are overpowered, but they're not. The issue is that Dwarf bolts are currently the rl equivalent of a long range handheld harpoon launcher. They pack quite the punch.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 08:47:59 pm »

A lot of people believe bolts are overpowered, but they're not. The issue is that Dwarf bolts are currently the rl equivalent of a long range handheld harpoon launcher. They pack quite the punch.
Not precisely true, but close enough if you're launching the right bolts. *cough* silver *cough*

Also, rocs are melee beasts. And everyone gives into pain reeeally fast if they chip a bone.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »

Not precisely true, but close enough if you're launching the right bolts. *cough* silver *cough*
Oh yeah they are definitely OP, just not velocity wise :P

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:58:12 pm »

I prefer exotic animals most of the time, though dogs are always useful I guess for slowing invaders down, not much else.

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 10:45:45 pm »

Hey, you guys are missing the point. It's not about whether war dogs suck or not, it's that a untrained puppy could do so much damage to a goblin that trained dogs could not. a puppy!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 10:47:06 pm »

That's Bay12 for you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 10:54:47 pm »

My fort is 25 years old. My grizzly bear poplation still hasn't reached it's full size, since I bought the first couple in year 4, but I've got about 50 war grizzlies penned in strategic locations already. They do indeed take longer to grow up, but they also have a longer lifespan than dogs.

Is this in the current version? I've checked upwards of 80 Dwarven Civs in over 10 worlds and they never NEVER have any non basic animals any more. The amount and variety of animals in caravans has been worse too...
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 11:10:21 pm »

My fort is 25 years old. My grizzly bear poplation still hasn't reached it's full size, since I bought the first couple in year 4, but I've got about 50 war grizzlies penned in strategic locations already. They do indeed take longer to grow up, but they also have a longer lifespan than dogs.
Is this in the current version? I've checked upwards of 80 Dwarven Civs in over 10 worlds and they never NEVER have any non basic animals any more. The amount and variety of animals in caravans has been worse too...
You can catch your own bears...
Sig

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 11:28:44 pm »

Yeah, but more importantly, where the balls do you guys get your war animals? I can't find any for the life of me. Dwarf traders only bring yaks and what not, same with elves, and I never get any human caravans. I'd trap my own if I could get any in my area. Plz halp guise.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 11:33:44 pm »

People, IRL, dogs are very bad at killing. They just don't have a finishing move to kill people. there were 25 killis last year in the US, TOTAl. Out of a nation of 300 million. I mena come on. They are good for distracting and taking hits, but you musn't rely on them. That's what the bears and dwarves are for.

Yeah, but more importantly, where the balls do you guys get your war animals? I can't find any for the life of me. Dwarf traders only bring yaks and what not, same with elves, and I never get any human caravans. I'd trap my own if I could get any in my area. Plz halp guise.
What is wrong with your elves? Mine always bring something weird. Dwarves usually bring cats and dogs, plus yiou can request them. Why no humans?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 11:45:24 pm »

What is wrong with your elves? Mine always bring something weird. Dwarves usually bring cats and dogs, plus yiou can request them. Why no humans?

I don't know. Maybe I've got elves that are worse than everyone else's elves. Not sure why humans aren't trading with me either. I suppose if I want humans it would be a good idea to embark near them if possible, yes?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 05:20:43 am »

Yes current version. I bought the bears from the Elves, not from dwarves.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 [2]