Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Great Expectations  (Read 3521 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Great Expectations
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 07:48:09 am »

Only if consumers make it clear they want a good sandbox game.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 10:38:35 am »

http://clockworkempires.com/ looks like it'll be quite good. Slightly different focus, but similar sorts of ideas. More steampunk, obviously, but what I've seen so far from the devs I have liked.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 10:43:35 am »

Fixed link: http://clockworkempires.com/

Looks sorta neat, looking into it. May it inspire a generation of neat games.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 12:45:49 am »

As the rare DF player who focuses on adventure and legends mode more than making forts, DF is not *quite* at the point were I can play it for long periods of time.  So other games still keep their appeal.  I think this next release might push it over though.  Living world = play the same world for RL weeks, then gen a new one and get a fresh experience.

My take other game series is, they're constantly trying to keep up with modern graphics.  This requires them to essentially rebuild everything from scratch each new game, and then go a little further on the game mechanics.  I guess that makes sense for games that really use their graphics, like Mirror's Edge (not that it even got a sequel) or Bioshock, but for the average "real is brown" game better graphics is mostly just advertising.  Game devs that constantly update the same game rather than putting out sequels can achieve a lot: other rougelikes are the best examples of this, but MP games like TF2 can get a lot of content with unusually good balance if they take their time.

That being said... Toady is really good at what he does.  He's built the most complicated game ever on his own, without using 3rd party products the way other series do (well, there was some help on the graphics code, but the vast majority of the coding is just Toady).  I know Toady has sometimes portrayed himself as a sloppy coder... but I'm not sure I believe him.  He's certainly succeeded where others have failed.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 08:13:56 pm »

Which XCom game were you referring to earlier? Been looking to pick something up and that's as good a review as it needs in my opinion. Then I google XCom and find 8 different games.

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »

I had DF expectations before I ever played DF.
I wanted a game that kept track of blood, body parts and individual organs.
I wanted a game where you could mine any rock and cut down any tree before I ever played minecraft
I wanted a game with a RPG stat/level up system, but your level would be decided by your stats (Like runescape)
I wanted a 2D game written in C++ that had graphics that looked like they were made in flash.
I wanted more than even DF could offer.
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.
Pages: 1 [2]