Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: climbing sieges  (Read 1176 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
climbing sieges
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:58:36 pm »

Am I the only one that thought this as soon as toady said npcs can climb constructed walls? This is awesome! It would certainly make defense slightly more interesting now.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Re: climbing sieges
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:34:57 pm »

Yeah, but they cant climb the walls smoothed from stone, they can climb built walls. Im also guessing the can climb fortification's. But, we dont have any more information. I too, cannot wait, but we have too.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:43:07 pm »

Weapon/cage traps on top of the walls. Problem solved.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:42 pm »

35 Z high walls. Bonzai?
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:48:31 pm »

or put them along the bottom of the walls. Even better, use a teir system. bottom z-level of the wall has upright spikes. the z above has a line of weapon traps. If they aren't chopped to ribbions, they dodge onto the spikes.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 01:48:34 am »

Dig down, smooth edges, problem solved. Still I imagine if slopes still trip me up after three years, climbers will too.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 03:41:49 am »

Build overhangs.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 03:56:57 am »

Now you see, there's a problem here. Your two solutions don't involve killing/maiming/scarring the enemy for life.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 03:59:32 am »

Yeah, but they cant climb the walls smoothed from stone, they can climb built walls. Im also guessing the can climb fortification's. But, we dont have any more information. I too, cannot wait, but we have too.

I think they cannot climb walls either, since they pretty much acts as smoothed walls except they are constructed. We really cant say until !science! has been done though. Can they climb fortifications? How quick is climbing? Are some creatures faster when it comes to climbing? Can you mount creatures that climb? There are indeed many questions. Ex: could be that goblins are naturally shit at climbing and that thier armor makes it even worse, but when riding a rutherer it can easily climb over a wall with the goblin on top.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 04:26:34 am »

Or drop boulders on them. Better Splint?
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 05:12:32 am »

Much. Not quite as effective, but stone-induced broken skulls do the job.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 06:01:55 am »

Much. Not quite as effective, but stone-induced broken skulls do the job.

They may not be as effective, but their darn cheap.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:36:34 am »

I find it amazing how nobody has suggested building a roof.

EDIT: Yeah the roof idea kinda sucks in comparison.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 08:33:10 am »

simple. i devised  little plan
IIII                   IIII                                   IIII                                              IIII
I~                    I0                                     IX                                                00
I~                    I0                                     IX                                                00
I~ layer one    I0   layer 3-whatever       IX       highest or the :finish"       00   up three layers from  the last " climb"
IIII                   IIII                                   IIII                                              IIII
I= wall ~=magma X= bridge 0= air they climb up wall and drop down to the bridges then you pull the lever and they fly right down the wall, and  fall in the magma brake their spinal cords and and in magma
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 09:03:22 am »

As long as they don't go breaking my gargoyles or tearing down my menacing spikes I plaster all over my walls, I'm happy to face a new threat. Not that much harder than fliers really.

Actually, fliers are worse.

Though I do find the prospect of goblins smashing through my windows to get bonked in the face with an axe.

I find the prospect of repairing less so.
Pages: [1] 2