Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So this is new...  (Read 1317 times)

Duhwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So this is new...
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:49:32 pm »

Been playing for 5 years now. Just recently lost a fortress. So I start a new one on the grid next to the old one and the first migrant wave is the origonal seven dwarves from the fortress I lost. This was discovered and confirmed because I use Dwarf Therapist. I thought I was going crazy because every migrant that showed up was a duplicate of one of the current fort's origonal seven. even down to the jobs given when there is no skill there yet.

Also I've never had a wave of migrants start off hungry, dehydrated, and pissed due to loss of loved ones before.

I was unaware that in the newest DF that Dwarfs carried over like that.

Anyone else have this happen?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: So this is new...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 06:54:24 pm »

.34 added historical migrants - it drew from existing populations from legends. As a result, all of the Dwarves you abandoned will show up in the future to remind you of your failure.
I recommend abandoning during a siege if this is a problem, as that will leave no survivors.

On the other hand, they will carry whatever they were wearing in your previous fort along with all of their skills. It wouldn't be the first time someone carried cotton candy from one fort to the next via migrant mail.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:42 pm »

Yeah, I started a new fort resently,
first migrant wave had 9 dwarves pissed off and tantruming about dead loved ones/freinds.
The one with the least loved ones dead had 3..

That fort was relatively short..
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Duhwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:41:17 pm »

Yeah, I started a new fort resently,
first migrant wave had 9 dwarves pissed off and tantruming about dead loved ones/freinds.
The one with the least loved ones dead had 3..

That fort was relatively short..

Wonderful now the FUN spreads from fort to fort. Mass chains of forts falling from whining migrants immigrating to new ones. Mass hysteria and ultimate destruction of civilization.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »

At least they don't carry syndromes with them.

Oh wait, they probably do.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 02:28:14 am »

This is one of my favorite recent features. Adventurers will also emigrate if they retire in the area designated as the mountain homes. This means you can get friendly necromancers and werebeasts, skilled warriors and that one adventurer who killed every megabeast in the world to join your fort with patience. Also abandoning a fort is now less horrible: your dwarves will always come back.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:06 am »

Also abandoning a fort is now less horrible: your dwarves will always come back.

Not always, some die. Also it far more often produces bad results through dwarves tantruming and almost instantly going insane when joining the fort.

Additionally if you reclaim old forts insane dwarves might be waiting in ambush instantly attacking upon contact.

That said I dont mind a challenge and unless I try some hard variant of a fort I usually dont end up getting loads of tantrumers anyway.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...