Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to explore caverns?  (Read 4374 times)

maltapotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to explore caverns?
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:07:59 pm »

I was just thinking about the best way to explore the caverns. i know of using kittens and such, but i am talking about using my military.

i don't know how well station orders would be since they could then run off and get food/booze/sleep when ever they damn well please, potentially screwing the rest of them. (though im sure i could lock them in...)

my next thought was using a burrow. set a small one that is to be defended, then while they are all in the burrow, add another section to it farther into the caverns, then delete the first one. this should force them to walk to the new site correct?

is this to much micro management?

any other good ways to do it? thanks for the ideas!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to explore caverns?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:20:58 pm »

I like to build looms and then set useless dorfs to weaving. If there is silk they will explore the entire cavern. I suppose you could set weaving as the task for off duty military dwarves and let them explore. Make sure they wear their uniform off duty.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:51:27 pm »

I don't know how well station orders would be since they could then run off and get food/booze/sleep when ever they damn well please, potentially screwing the rest of them.
Nope. Military Dwarves will never abandon their orders even under threat of starvation, sleep deprivation or dehydration. They are a perfectly acceptable way of cavern exploration.

Just be sure to bring Marksdwarves.

<alternatively>

Release a breeding pair of small animals into the caverns. Things like bunnies that flee from everything - these do not die.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:02:37 pm »

Nope. Military Dwarves will never abandon their orders even under threat of starvation, sleep deprivation or dehydration. They are a perfectly acceptable way of cavern exploration.
They will wander off eventually. I find that their tolerance for drowsiness is much less than their tolerance for hunger. Thirst isn't really an issue since I issue waterskins early. The best time for exploration is when you can see pond grabbers on the unit list, as they stay in the water and prevent anything else from spawning while they're there. Giant olms and elk birds can be nasty if cornered, but they prefer to run away from dwarves.

You could also dig alongside the cavern wall until you start approaching the unrevealed areas, and then carve a fortification to expose the next expanse of wall.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

maltapotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:57 pm »

They will wander off eventually. I find that their tolerance for drowsiness is much less than their tolerance for hunger. Thirst isn't really an issue since I issue waterskins early. The best time for exploration is when you can see pond grabbers on the unit list, as they stay in the water and prevent anything else from spawning while they're there. Giant olms and elk birds can be nasty if cornered, but they prefer to run away from dwarves.

You could also dig alongside the cavern wall until you start approaching the unrevealed areas, and then carve a fortification to expose the next expanse of wall.

yes in my experience (i give no backpacks or waterskins, may change that now) any time i station my mili some where, at least half of them run off for food and booze and a few to sleep. so it usually takes them a while to get where i want in any large number.

i don't have any pond grabbers.... just at least 3 or 4 FBs :) thats one reason i wanna get in there so i can have some fun! hopefully make some nice FB skull totems to try and display!

guess ill just give them waterskins and send them down there :)

Eldestish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:16:21 pm »

IMO just throwing down cage traps and a door then letting weavers do the rest seems to work.
If you are desperate for metal/wood then a miner would work too.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

I use the fortification carving method almost exclusively. Carve one and explore a wide section all at once. Then move on and repeat near some more unexplored area. These little leftover spyholes I made usually later get expanded into marksdwarf nests for policing the caverns.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:40:59 pm »

I use the fortification carving method almost exclusively. Carve one and explore a wide section all at once. Then move on and repeat near some more unexplored area. These little leftover spyholes I made usually later get expanded into marksdwarf nests for policing the caverns.

Do you have a one-tile passage behind the fortifications, or more tiles? A reasonable corridor should be two or three tiles, but I've heard people have issues with fortifications, resulting them in using one-tile passages.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 09:47:35 pm »

Well the actual nest is a little 1x5 room. Really not much to them, quick and easy to build. But pics might help, so here we go.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 10:11:44 pm »

Patchy, I think that's really neat. I usually pick a single random dwarf, put come copper armor on it, and let it explore everything.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 01:53:14 am »

Cage traps are key. Make a barracks behind the cage traps, and over them, put a crundle factory (tame crundles in a pasture, nest box). The crundles will draw in and trouble all the really good cavern stuff: jabberers, rutherers, giant cave spiders and cave dragons. The bad shit (e.g. steel quadraped, beware it's deadly dust!) will engage and butcher the crundles while you either close up the fort or send the military patrols in.

I find having a permanent cavern barracks with a squad is best, since if the whole squad goes down to necrosis dust, you should still have a surface squad to handle goblins.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 04:16:46 am »

If you dont want to risk anything you can build bridges and raise them in such a way that it blocks the entrance from the caves to the fort. Ive found that raised bridges are impossible to destroy. Its really cheap though.

Another way to use bridges in a less cheap and more amusing way is to dig a pitfall under it and raise the bridge when something is on it, causing it to fall 10+z levels and instantly killing it. Obviously wont work on too heavy or flying creatures though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:56 am »

i find it amusing just getting legendary dwarves in full steel metal masterwork gear to just mash up everything.
All you need is a 2 man team to remain in a squad for ~1 year if starting at proficient or above. Less for some (hammer takes 3 seasons), then that's the legendary sorted out. (would need to be 2-3 years if teaching from unskilled). The other positives from this, is that they get RIDICULOUS attributes, such as extremely agile (about 3 times as fast as other dwarves) so making them run down 80 z levels isn't a problem.

I would suggest a minimum of full iron armor (2x low/high boots, 2x gauntlet, greaves, breastplate, helm (not cap!) and iron or better weapons (i.e silver warhammers)), the better the armor, the higher the chance of survival if you come across something difficult. Although one legend in full steel is more than enough to kill 10 crundles taking no damage (i teach dodging at embark too though).

As long as i find a nice patch of hematite, i'm ready for caverns within my first year of embark. GCS's are probably the biggest threat.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.