Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Wild Mass Guessing: The year 2060 AD  (Read 8963 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Mass Guessing: The year 2060 AD
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »

By 2060, MSH will be Prime Executor of the People's Republic of the Carolinas, while I will be the elderly Shadow Emperor pulling the strings in the background. Our borders will be ringed with the skulls of people who don't use turn signals, as a warning to outsiders.

You better call yourself Kellanved.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 12:59:55 pm »

IIRC is Sol goes supernova it will expand to encompass earth during it's gas giant phase.
Once you factor in solar wind and removal of mass from the sun there's actually a chance that the Earth will have moved far enough away from the sun in its orbit that if it weren't for tidal interactions it would manage to just orbit extremely close to the surface.

Of course long before that (assuming current trends continue) the gradual increase of temperature by the sun will heat earth to the point where liquid water can no longer exist. The end result is that Earth becomes inhabitable in about a billion years or so, which is about 5.3 billion years before the sun goes red giant.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2012, 01:03:02 pm »

How big would a supernova explosion of sol be? Just our system? I'm assuming damn near the whole of it.
Not a supernova at all actually. I'm pretty sure the sun is not large enough for that.

Just an ordinary nova, I'm afraid.
The nova will be still sufficient to scour the system, though.
By 2060, MSH will be Prime Executor of the People's Republic of the Carolinas, while I will be the elderly Shadow Emperor pulling the strings in the background. Our borders will be ringed with the skulls of people who don't use turn signals, as a warning to outsiders.
You had best hope for improved medical technology, since I'll be 70 in 2064.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2012, 01:06:05 pm »

Meh. I can probably make it to 85. Although I imagine one of the perks of being Shadow Emperor of the Carolinas is all the free barbecue I can eat, which could negative impact my longevity. Plus, I might wind up looking more like Baron Harkonnen than Emperor Palpatine.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2012, 01:08:13 pm »

That's where the MZSH loop comes into play. We have it all planned out, trust me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2012, 01:11:51 pm »

So long as you can still kill people with the force of your hate. We're going to need that.

Or maybe bullets. Yeah....we should probably keep some bullets around in case the whole Force Lightning thing doesn't work out. We all remember what happened the last time an empire failed to make that preparation.
That's where the MZSH loop comes into play. We have it all planned out, trust me.
About that. I may or may not have/will destroy all of Michigan with an antimatter experiment around 2040 or so. Could have been a dream, could have been a time paradox memory, I don't know.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2012, 05:53:24 am »

How big would a supernova explosion of sol be? Just our system? I'm assuming damn near the whole of it.
Not a supernova at all actually. I'm pretty sure the sun is not large enough for that.

Just an ordinary nova, I'm afraid.
The nova will be still sufficient to scour the system, though.
As far as I've read, the sun turning red giant hasn't got anything to do with novas. And any way you look at it, Earth will be screwed before the sun becomes a white dwarf. And the articles on white dwarf novae say that the fuel must be provided by a companion star, which Sol lacks. So it's debatable whether a nova in this solar system is even possible.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]