Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blazemetal- Our neighbor keeps sending zombies to destroy us. And it's working.  (Read 6967 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Blazemetal- Destroyed by a single snowflake.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 11:30:25 am »

The Weaponprodigysmith Likot Postincest has become GreatWyrmPlatinum
Chapter 2: ZOMBIESIEGE

Initially the dwarves had wanted to flood the necromancer's tower with magma, but soon realized that there were rare, valuable, and very much flammable books inside. GreatWyrmPlatinum proposed taking the tower by force, but everybody agreed that the dwarves of Blazemetal were not ready for the task. For now, they would carry on their regular fortress jobs like regular fortress dwarves working in a non-self destructive fashion. Hopefully.

One day in Summer, Urvad the Weaponsmith had decided she was finished with being useless. She had an idea. This would have to wait.

OOC: Wha? First year non-dwarven caravan?
The traders were treated with confusion, it was unheard of for another civilization's caravan to arrive before the dwarven one. Luckily, there were many spare siege engine parts to trade.

With some strange negotiation tactic, the broker managed to buy all the required supplies simply by not asking for the initially requested shankweed.

By some amazing acts of incredible retardation, it had taken the Woodsmith a month to build this three-urist wall. The Siegesmith that requested said wall refused to explain its purpose.

Meanwhile, back at Urvad's strange plan…

Honestly I have no idea what she's trying to do. I'm not sure if she knows either. I saw a puff of red smoke later on, and she emerged holding this:

Who knew the random weaponsmith could successfully turn random boulders into a bar of bismuth? She picked up boulders of bismuthinite while I wasn't looking. That has to be the explanation. But the look in her eyes… Something very strange was going on.

Oh hey, migrants!

Litast Wiltcrystal, Cutgemsmith, f
Zefon Passionwheel, Leathersmith, m
îbmat Slappedlens, Deathsmith trainee, m
Edën Dimplesanctums, Deathsmith trainee, f

Iron weapons were forged for deathsmiths new and old, but they had to make do with wooden shields for now. The ragtag military now had 4 dwarves, but only Argoms was particularly confident in his ability. At least they had a catapult covering them. 

Some time later
We finally killed that annoying bird!

Meanwhile, Urvad was digging something in a remote section of the fortress…

I wonder what sh- OHEY TRADERS.

AND THE LIASION

WHY AM I YELLING

WHAT THE HELL

I THINK THEY'RE ANGRY
Greetings, I am the outpost Liaision.
Oh, hello. The zombies are safely contained behind those doors, there is no need to worry.
About that. You see, the king has noticed what you're doing and considers it quite unsportsmanlike. You are to unlock those doors immediately.
But-
Now.
Fine.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:34:23 am by katana »
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blazemetal- Our neighbor keeps sending zombies to destroy us.
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 05:07:00 pm »

Chapter 3: OKAYWEMIGHTBEDEADSOON

D:

D: D:

But we did what you asked! D: D: D:

Well now we know what elementalists do.

ERRYONE. INSIDE NAO.

Thank the yaks! Their voracious appetites have created a barrier for the fire!

DUCK FAMNIT

:c

The dwarves had lost two brave citizens today. They will be missed. In case you haven't realized, the Siegesmith was kinda caught outside when the hordes of the undead besieged us. Oh, and the surfaced is being ravaged by all-consuming fire. Just a typical elementalist fight.

This would not happen again. Melbil the Ashsmith was enlisted to replace îmbat in the military.  Additonally, fire-stoppers were built to prevent future fires from entering the fortress.

Yes they're wood. Shut up.

Although deeply affected by the death of the Siegesmith, the dwarves decided to use this opportunity to cheer themselves up with individual bedrooms. As life began to return to normal, something interesting was noticed.

But they had plenty of seeds! The bookkeeper is never wrong!

Urvad had locked herself into a remote section of the fortress. She just had to take all the seeds when starting her demented plan…

Although they all knew what had happened, the dwarves referred to their beloved siegesmith as missing, not dead. The deathsmith trainee did not have this honor. But for now, they were saf-

Wat.

What remained of the dwarves waited in the dining room.

Except for one. What is she doing?

The Cutgemsmith was too eager to avenge her friends. Instead, she widowed her husband…

OOC: Well, this is falling apart quite quickly.

Not wanting to die without a legacy, GreatWyrmPlatinum decided to descend to the forges and create some things to be remembered by.

The survivors knew their time left was short. Each grabbed one of the great weapons of GreatWyrmPlatinum, and waited for when the merchant guards would finally fall. The surface was a grisly scene. Fallen warriors were turning against their friends, yet the necromancer responsible was nowhere in sight.

OOC: I wonder if this guy'll end up a dwarf corpse corpse corpse soon?
Another over-excited dwarf, another corpse to fight…

But before the final stand was made, the corpses stopped rising.

The dwarves, still paranoid, stayed below. For now. GreatWyrmPlatinum still frantically churned out weapons.

Urvad had been quiet, but quite busy too.

On the 23rd of Opal, 258, the dwarves decided that they would risk it. They would travel to the surface.

Or they would've. Dwarves will be dwarves…

On the 25th of Opal, 258, the dwarves decided that they would risk it. There were some friends to bury.

OOC: I am going to regret bringing corpses into the fortress, aren't I.

Urvad was mining suspiciously close to the main fortress. The others were too busy burying old friends to notice.

Soon, a caravan arrived.

Maybe they can gua-

Well, there goes everybody except for the meatsmith and leathersmith. As for Urvad, I doubt she's very happy right now, but she's still much better off than all the corpses up there.

OOC: This will turn into a solo fortress very soon at this rate.
The remaining dwarves knew what was above. So they trained.

They would survive this. One day, they would return to the surface.

OOC:
This was kinda funny:

Unhappy because haunted by dead friend. Builds slab. Dead friend memoralized. ADMIRED FINE SLAB. FINE NOW.

Also, yeah, I may have slightly underestimated the power of a necromancer. And elementalist. The two survivors have enough food to train for a while. Hopefully they emerge elite dwarves and kill the shit out of those corpses.
GreatWyrmPlatinum made quite a few masterworks, her name will live on. If you're wondering about Urvad- she's going to fight fire with fire. Or water. I haven't decided which would be funnier.

To be continued.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:10:27 pm by katana »
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Looks good! I can't wait for a migrant to claim.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile

Hollow out the ground underneath the tower and collapse it with a cave-in.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But then you lose necromancers!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The tower is supported by the sky. If I severed the link to the ground, it would only become a floating necromancer tower. Do you want sky necromancers? DO YOU?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The tower is supported by the sky. If I severed the link to the ground, it would only become a floating necromancer tower. Do you want sky necromancers? DO YOU?
Yes.
Sig

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile

After the tower is cleansed of the undead and necromancers, sever its ties to the earth, then build off of it and create a flying dwarven fortress.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After the tower is cleansed of the undead and necromancers, sever its ties to the earth, then build off of it and create a flying dwarven fortress.
Agreed.
Sig

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 4: A hero amongst animal caretakers.
Migrants:
Asmel FordFire, f
Fath Leadbridge, f
Sigun Flickermint, m
Kosoth Patternedstone, f
Ziril Bentlantern, m
Mistêm Brandedboulders, f
Ingish Strokestakes, m
Nulral Daubedpeaks, m
ézum Chuckedpicks, f
Edëm Tomesword, m
Solon Pointykin, f
Egul Wheelsoul, m
Astesh Tomesreigned, f
Uzol Parchedpleats, f
Kol Bootclimates, m
Tarem Spatterurns, m
Alud Budsizzles, f
Idith Battleinks, m
Duthnur Shichanted, m
Kadôl Wetcontrols, m
Bim Torchfloor, m
Nïng Ghostgolds, f
Bëmbul Ragrinses, m

Damn that's a lot of migrants. Many of them were great craftsdwarves, and any that weren't were enlisted into the military as deathsmiths. 10 of the migrants were assigned to the military, while the others would work on keeping the fortress alive. One dwarf was dragged in after being seriously injured.  Despite the laws, the dwarves could not bring themselves to destroy his weapon.

If he ever lived, it had been decided that this dwarf would be a marksdwarf. He had distracted and killed three zombies at the entrances, saving all the other migrants from a painful death, severely wounding himself in the process. This hero would not be bound by the demands of a petty liaison.

OOC: One non-enlisted marksdwarf vs 5 zombies. Yeah, I'm going to let this one slide just because he brought a freaking' masterwork crossbow with him. That will be the fortress' only crossbow. Ever. Unless of course, a migrant somehow one-ups him by saving the entire fortress before even reaching the dining room for the first time.

Some time later

Win.

GO LLAMA GO!

That's right, necromancers, FEAR THE NIGHT. I have no idea how this works, but I like it. Good llama!

The dwarves had survived a year. To signify this accomplishment, the elves arrived.

The dwarves were not in a good mood. They took what they wanted, and gave nothing back. Elves are too cowardly to attack back anyway.

They took food, cloth, clothes, drinks, and even some giant animals to guard the entrance. The lack of wood for beds was frustrating, and the surface was obviously off-limits, so the caverns were to be explored.  The dwarves were confident, for their hero was back on his feet.

OOC: By some miracle, he had torn arteries, and basically mauled hands and feet, yet survived without infections.

New dwarves (I think everyone survived thanks to Flickermint):
ézum Chuckedpicks, Stonesmith, f
Sigun Flickermint, Hero, m
Bim Torchfloor, Furnacesmith, m
Kosoth Patternedstone, Metalcraftsmith, f
Kol Bootclimates, Bonesmith, m
Idith Battleinks, Garbsmith, m
Bëmbul Ragrinses, Candysmith, m
Nulral Daubedpeaks, Woundsmith, m
Asmel Fordfire, Woundsmith, f
Astesh Tomesreigned, Machinesmith, f
Alud Budsizzles, Siegeoperationsmith, f
Solon Pointykin, Lifesmith, f
Edëm Tomesword, Deathsmith, m
Kadol Wetcontrols, Deathsmith, f
Uzol Parchedpleats, Deathsmith, f
Mistêm Brandedboulders, Deathsmith, f
Egul Wheelssoul, Deathsmith, m
Tarem Spatterurns, Deathsmith, m
Duthnur Shipchanted, Deathsmith, m
Nïng Ghostgolds, Deathsmith, f
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:56:30 am by katana »
Pages: 1 [2]