Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blazemetal- Our neighbor keeps sending zombies to destroy us. And it's working.  (Read 6964 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile

Blazemetal
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently our new group is called the Puzzling Summit. It's confusing how they obtained this title.

A silly fortress based on throwing ice at enemy invaders while avoiding the evils of kitchens, crossbows, and traps. This is my second time playing legends of forlorn realms. Feel free to ask to be dwarfed and/or suggest things to do.
Dwarves:

Part 1: Chefs, marksdwarves, mechanics need not apply.

Part 2: Destroyed by a single snowflake

Part 3: ZOMBIESIEGE
Tun Seapaths, Stonesmith, f available Incinerated
Sazir Notchedtour, Woodsmith, f available Incinerated
Urvad Hammerwalk, Weaponsmith, f available
ók Slapflickers, Plantsmith, f available Mauled by corpses
Zuglar Squareblueness, Siegesmith, f available Missing. As in, either incinerated or mauled by zombies while I wasn't looking.
Dastot flukeheats, Lifesmith machinist (DUAL JOBBING), f available Ran into zombie swarm without training.
'Argoms' Moistenedmolten, Deathsmith (spear), m Overwhelmed by zombies
Udil Heatfill, Meatsmith, m available (actually currently a soldier)
Kol Wiltmirrored, Deathsmith Trainee, m available Overwhelmed by zombies
Melbil Squeezearrows, Ashsmith, m available Fireballs, zombies does it matter anymore?
'GreatWyrmPlatinum' Postincest, Weaponprodigysmith, f Tried to storm necro tower with silver warhammer.
Momuz Glowedstopped, Gemsmith, f available Zombies.
Litast Wiltcrystal, Cutgemsmith, f available The undead are quite unforgiving.
Zefon Passionwheel, Leathersmith, m available
ībmat Slappedlens, Deathsmith trainee, m available Zombies
Edėn Dimplesanctums, Deathsmith trainee, f available See above
ézum Chuckedpicks, Stonesmith, f
Sigun Flickermint, Hero, m
Bim Torchfloor, Furnacesmith, m
Kosoth Patternedstone, Metalcraftsmith, f
Kol Bootclimates, Bonesmith, m
Idith Battleinks, Garbsmith, m
Bėmbul Ragrinses, Candysmith, m
Nulral Daubedpeaks, Woundsmith, m
Asmel Fordfire, Woundsmith, f
Astesh Tomesreigned, Machinesmith, f
Alud Budsizzles, Siegeoperationsmith, f
Solon Pointykin, Lifesmith, f
Edėm Tomesword, Deathsmith, m
Kadol Wetcontrols, Deathsmith, f
Uzol Parchedpleats, Deathsmith, f
Mistźm Brandedboulders, Deathsmith, f
Egul Wheelssoul, Deathsmith, m
Tarem Spatterurns, Deathsmith, m
Duthnur Shipchanted, Deathsmith, m
Nļng Ghostgolds, Deathsmith, f

Table of contents:
Part 1: Chefs, marksdwarves, mechanics need not apply.
Chapter 1: So much for the deathsmith
Chapter 2: In search of dirt
Part 2: Destroyed by a single snowflake.
Chapter 1: That was fast.
Part 3: Our neighbor keeps sending zombies to destroy us.
Chapter 1: Weaponprodigysmith
Chapter 2: ZOMBIESIEGE
Chapter 3: OKAYWEMIGHTBEDEADSOON
Chapter 4: A hero amongst animal caretakers.
___

Rules
-After year 1, there must always be depot access.
-No conventional traps (cage, weapon), upright spears cannot be linked.
-No cooking allowed. Kitchens are evil.
-No handheld projectile weapons allowed.

The first embark: Unlike the second, it had a fair chance of survival. Tragic how it ended though.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:58:52 am by katana »
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait what, why is this in modding.

(how do I request a move?)
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 1: So much for deathsmith.
Diary of sluggy, machinesmith
Early spring, 256

Ice. It's all ice, right down to the stone. If we want any hope of surviving, we've got to breach the caverns. We've found some hematite while digging.

Just a little fur-

OH GOD WHAT IS THAT THING, EKAST, KILL IT! KILL IT!
Ekast managed to kill the monster, but not before it managed to tear his arm open. Poor guy, we can't exactly set up a hospital right now though. We were also attacked by ice wolves, but Ekast made short work of them, even with his wounded arm(s). We should be fi-

Oh no. Everyone, GET THAT THING.

Well that could've gone better.

We did our best…

One by one, we were torn apart. In the end, there was only one dwarf left.

Just… Keep… Digging…

OOC: End of chapter comments
It's funny how an engineer fought better than an axedwarf with, you know, skill levels. The girl killed 8 creatures before being brought down. Meanwhile, Sluggy spent the entire time lying on the ground and slowly losing blood. The miner has a scratched body, although it's just a flesh wound (skin wound?). We should survive as long as the migrants don't instagib and we don't run into certain... Things... in the cavern.
Fun fact- I dug 72 layers down to semi-molten rock without hitting a cavern. That's got to be a record.

Also, the "idler" is sluggy bleeding out on the surface. Lokum's only sustained very minor injuries.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:37:48 pm by katana »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile

Click the thing at the bottom of the screen that says "move topic". Also I'll take the shedorf as "MrsWillsauce"

E: also if Sluggy is still alive when I find the caverns, please equip me with an axe so that I can cut down a couple of trees, make a bed and a bucket, and drag the poor dwarf down to the bed and try to nurse her back to health.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:38:47 pm by MrWillsauce »

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, as you can see in the final picture, sluggy bled to death while the miner searched for the caverns. Another update coming up! I was playing adventurer but quickly realized I forgot to put points in swimming and instantly drowned upon entering a river.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 2: In search of dirt
Mid-spring, 256
MrsWillsauce sighed. She had reached bedrock, yet not struck a single cavern. Soon she would get hungry and be forced to return to the cursed glacier above. Anything was better than that wasteland. Even sleeping on these stone stairs.

When she woke, she knew she had to find the caverns, and fast. There were many layers of stone to search, and soon she got thirsty.

Luckily, the monsters above seemed to be occupied. Soon she had found the magma sea, yet no caverns. Adamantine was found.

Under any other circumstanaces, MrsWillsauce would have been overjoyed. But right now, she needed food. To the surface she went. It was snowing.

Your settlement has crumbled to an end

OOC: Snow syndrome. Typical.

RECLAIM TIME!
Same dwarf setup as last time, except that the swordsmith will be replaced with another axedwarf. Post requests now!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blazemetal- Destroyed by a single snowflake.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »

MrWillsauce as a male military dorf, eager to avenge his wife (from the snow apparently)

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:53:38 pm »

Part two: Destroyed by a single snowflake.

Chapter 1: That was fast.

A reclamation party had been formed. They had read the records of the previous occupants of Blazemetal, and were not impressed. Those idiots brought almost no food or drink, and no helmet for their military dwarf either. Plus, they only had one military dwarf in their party, travelling to a clearly haunted area! And finally, they brought a lustrum boulder.
The dwarves of the warm torch would be better than this. Among them was MrsWillsauce's husband, apparently eager to destroy the monsters in any way possible to "avenge" his wife. It was pointed out that his wife had apparently died of snowflakes, but he denied this and attributed her death to the cursed creatures. Nobody blamed him.

Dwarves:
MrWillsauce Shellautumns, Deathsmith, m
īmbat Sparkconjures, Plantsmith, f
Cilob Fissuregold, Machinesmith, m
Unib Shakenvessels, Lifesmith, f
Shem Toolglazes, Siegesmith, f
Sigun Peakclinch, Stonesmith, m
Thestkig Burnedsnarled, f

They had prepared for months! Trained, planned, studied… They could not fail. They were The Burning Torch!

Fuck.

Round three, anyone?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:23:01 pm by katana »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »

I take it that syndrome is caused by a mod you have (I highly doubt Toady would allow something that stupidly unforgiving... well, maybe he would). Also what is lustrum?

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 04:59:27 pm »

Lustrum is from legends of forlorn realms. It's basically super lignite, nothing more.

That syndrome is a typical evil biome weather effect. Maybe I should try a regular glacier instead? Looks like that place is insta death.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 05:05:25 pm »

I opt not to go for a regular glacier; that'd just be boring. Either try a different haunted glacier site, or some other interesting, similarly difficult site such as a haunted volcano or desert withing range of a tower.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 05:22:13 pm »

I think I'll use embark anywhere to live on a necromancer tower. Update probably coming some time later.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 07:22:23 pm »

Chapter 1: Weaponprodigysmith
Blazemetal was to begin again.

But this time, the evil threat was a single being. Some day the dwarves would conquer this monstrous foe and the land would be safe from the evils of necromancy again.

Alright, multiple single beings. Whatever. Let's just carry on with the story. Our brave dwarves:
Tun Seapaths, Stonesmith, f
Sazir Notchedtour, Woodsmith, f
Urvad Hammerwalk, Weaponsmith, f
ók Slapflickers, Plantsmith, f
Zuglar Squareblueness, Siegesmith, f
Dastot flukeheats, Lifesmith machinist (DUAL JOBBING), f
'Argoms' Moistenedmolten, Deathsmith (spear), m

The dwarves' first course of action was to forbid the necromancer tower's doors. How they had the power to do that I do not know.

After a look around, the dwarves concluded that the surface of the terrain was almost completely flat, barring a few pools and the giant tower of necromancers. Their knowledge of the underground also led them to believe that the magma sea was reasonably close.
And so they set off doing their respective jobs while Argoms stood guard. Within hours, the Stonesmith had discovered a cavern.

Diary of Argoms, Deathsmith
4th Granite, Early Spring
Good, the caverns have water. I was worried that I would be unable to treat the wounded. WIth necromancers so close, I fear that we will be under attack shortly. There is also an abundance of sand and ores of iron. I have a good feeling about this site.

27th Slate, Mid Spring
We were harassed by a strange creature today. It fled when it saw my spear though.

I have asked our Stonesmith to create aboveground fortifications to keep the creature away from our supplies.

Diary of Sazir, Woodsmith
Felsite, Late Spring
I have requested that a better dining room be made, we currently only have a single table and chair. However, the miner insists on digging downwards. She refuses to listen to us until she reaches magma…

Soon, the Stonesmith did find magma. Along with that, guess what else?

Another cavern! I'm just kidding.

Adamantine! I wasn't actually kidding about the second cavern though.
MAGMA? ADAMANTINE? GREAT!  We didn't bring an anvil, did we…

Some migrants have arrived.
Despite initial fears that blazemetal would instantly perish like its namesakes, it had survived long enough to attract migrants. One of these in particular was a great annoyance to the weaponsmith.

Dwarves:
Udil Heatfill, Meatsmith, m
Kol Wiltmirrored, Deathsmith Trainee, m
Melbil Squeezearrows, Ashsmith, m
Likot Postincest, Weaponprodigysmith, f
Momuz Glowedstopped, Gemsmith, f

To the horror of the fortress, the Gemsmith had brought a crossbow and quiver full of bolts with her. The illegal arms were quickly melted into harmless metal globs.

Pictures of the fort so far:

Part of the walls were wood, to the delight of the carpenter ordered to build them. Everyone else was annoyed to use such elven construction methods. Note the catapult.

The forge area. Currently only has a smelter, apparently somebody spent the anvil money on lustrum.

Meager dining room (the Stonesmith still hasn't carried out her promise of a nicer one) and farm plots.

Necros. Everywhere.

Item descriptions have learned the subtle art of sarcasm.

It appears necromancy isn't the only magic locked inside that tower.
OOC: yay, no instadeath! Dorfing is now open, and I'm accepting ideas for projects. If nobody thinks of anything, I'm going to try and build my first ever pumpstack. We invade the necromancers with magma.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:27:57 pm by katana »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 01:44:11 am »

on one hand, the magma will clear out the tower more effectively than even a battle hardened band of candy clad war dwarves, but on the other, you'll lose the books in the magma bath wont you?

as for projects, try a library. I like libraries. make a HUGE underground chamber, multileved, with mezzanines and stuff. cover every wall in engravings as if they were bookshelves. open up a great library under the tower. if the books survive the magma flood, you can stash them in places of prominence in the library.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:46:23 am by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 08:56:09 am »

I'll take Likot Postincest. Re/nickname her to GreatWyrm[metal], where [metal] is a metal she likes.
My dwarf is arrogant and brash, but occasionally actually knows the right thing to do. She suggests forging fine steel arms to take the tower, so as to preserve the valuable lore in the tower.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2