Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workplace Accidents  (Read 792 times)

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
Workplace Accidents
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:08:25 pm »

So I'm constructing Girlinhat's Animal-Powered Watchtowers, and inorder to roof them i build a scaffold of contructed stairs next to the tower.

My workers, when removing these scaffolds seem to not be retreiving the building componets, but rather are getting struck by them.

Is there a simple solution, or are my tower contruction scaffolds going to use 2-3 times more resources now?
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workplace Accidents
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »

When deconstructing stairs, the dwarf will drop the material it is made from, or so I have heard. Build stairs that go up and around the wall. Also make sure no one is below when taking them down.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »

My problem is that it is a temporary 1x1 stairwell, consisting only of the stairwell. the dwarf deconstructing the stairs himself is below the stairs when they are deconstructed, and apparantly this causes him to get hit by the block used to make the stairs.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:37 pm »

Ya sure about that?  Never had this happen myself.  I've had chunks cause me issues when working up.  But aslong as I worked down, NP.  Especially if its a block.  Blocks are FAR lighter than Rock chunks. 

If this is a problem, try wood.  Falling wood won't injure anyone. 

A trick I like to do; is to use supports alongside scaffolding, and then I turn the scaffolding into a one shot, support trap.  When I reach the top, I build a reload, retractable bridge out to the top of support trap location.  To rebuild it after its sprung. 

Because of the new density of Rock chunks, support traps and stonefall traps, cause lots more AOE damage, especially if rare HEAVY rocks are used.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:38 am »

I'm quite certain, I noticed a hospital full of dwarves with various fractures, broken bones, and bruises. Reading the after-action reports, I saw my masons had been 'fighting' with rock blocks. Wood might be my only solution beyond building more complicated scaffolds.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:51:39 am »

This happens to me too. I get around it by using ramps as scaffoldings.

There are sometimes people beneath the scaffolding who get hit by falling materials but I am okay with that. That is an acceptable workplace accident; while dropping a rock on your own face is not.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:06:54 am »

Annoyingly dwarves will drop things right on their own face for constructed material, and not even wood saves them ( it does helps somewhat with injuries ). It's worse with long falls, you practically need hatches every level to protect them.

Ramps helps somewhat, but they sometimes drops stuff on themselves going down it for some reason? I'm playing 34.09, but I suspect it's probably not changed much, at least not until hauling are fixed up a bit. Ramps are at least a lot less worse than stair if you're doing scaffoldings.

Best way I've found is to assign the workers into an inactive squad and give them armors, it helps to take some of the edge off. Especially the helmets! Using as light building material as I can for temp structures to be pulled down and using ramps if I can ( impractical for tall walls ). If tall flights of stairs are needed, to install hatches on every level as soon as the stair to above is built to protect against falling debris.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:20:01 am »

I believe this stems from the dwarves rather than receiving the item after deconstructing the building, have actually managed to molecularly disassemble the stairs and reassemble them as a block, which hangs in the air until this process is complete. This takes so much concentration they are unable to move as the lock plummets toward their face.

So, new project: ARMOURED MASON CORPS

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:06:07 am »

So I'm constructing Girlinhat's Animal-Powered Watchtowers, and inorder to roof them i build a scaffold of contructed stairs next to the tower.

My workers, when removing these scaffolds seem to not be retreiving the building componets, but rather are getting struck by them.

Is there a simple solution, or are my tower contruction scaffolds going to use 2-3 times more resources now?

This may not be related, but the main Workplace Accident I have is when I order stone to be dumped into a quantum stockpile at the same time that I have dwarves using stone. If stones in the quantum stockpile have been un-forbidden, a dwarf may go get a stone from there while another dwarf is dropping a stone from above. In the logs it shows up as the dwarf  getting attacked by the stone.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:12:41 am »

This may not be related, but the main Workplace Accident I have is when I order stone to be dumped into a quantum stockpile at the same time that I have dwarves using stone. If stones in the quantum stockpile have been un-forbidden, a dwarf may go get a stone from there while another dwarf is dropping a stone from above. In the logs it shows up as the dwarf  getting attacked by the stone.

This could probably most easily be solved by simply not having dwarves retrieve from quantum stockpiles which are receiving active input. I have not yet used or mastered the techniques of quantum piling, so I have no experience therein.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »

This could probably most easily be solved by simply not having dwarves retrieve from quantum stockpiles which are receiving active input. I have not yet used or mastered the techniques of quantum piling, so I have no experience therein.

Yes, it is easily solved. I try to check if any tasks are assigned that use stone before designating dumping. I could call my dwarves stupid, or just admit it is my own stupid fault.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.