Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven tools  (Read 3052 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven tools
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 07:46:11 pm »

12 is when dwarves can work. Thus, giving dwarves tools at age 12 solves two puzzles.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 11:29:51 pm »

Maybe that's the mechanic we are looking for. Dwarves arrive with a set of tools that wear and tear, and the children need a set before they can start work. Dwarf cast is determined by the quality of their tools, and nobles want blinged out chisels but refuse to use them. Any dwarf with worn tools suffers bad thoughts and speed reduction. Better tools last longer and give better thoughts when they are received. Culture prevents sharing.

KharBevNor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 12:12:21 am »

Although it's realistic, it might effect the dwarven economy quite a bit if tools wore out, particularly as picks and weapons don't. You'd end up burning a lot of resources just keeping on top of things; perhaps it could be an option in the init file?

One thing that definitely would be interesting, which this brings up (and which I'm sure has been mentioned before) is the idea of having civilians be able to carry knives. In most medieval/dark ages cultures that I'm familiar with, anyone who could afford it (and was not barred by social status, i.e. being a slave or villein) would carry a small dagger for eating with and personal protection. You could perhaps have some control over which dwarves or groups (once fortress sub-groups are in) were allowed to carry weapons, with the sherriff being in charge of policing this.

It would certainly make tantrum spirals more interesting anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 06:43:21 am »

Although it's realistic, it might effect the dwarven economy quite a bit if tools wore out, particularly as picks and weapons don't. You'd end up burning a lot of resources just keeping on top of things; perhaps it could be an option in the init file?
Picks and weapons (especially obsidian swords) are going to wear out eventually. Other than that...an init option would be good.

One thing that definitely would be interesting, which this brings up (and which I'm sure has been mentioned before) is the idea of having civilians be able to carry knives. In most medieval/dark ages cultures that I'm familiar with, anyone who could afford it (and was not barred by social status, i.e. being a slave or villein) would carry a small dagger for eating with and personal protection. You could perhaps have some control over which dwarves or groups (once fortress sub-groups are in) were allowed to carry weapons, with the sherriff being in charge of policing this.

It would certainly make tantrum spirals more interesting anyway.
And it would  make dwarves non-defenseless against stuff.

12 is when dwarves can work. Thus, giving dwarves tools at age 12 solves two puzzles.
Ah, then I agree.
Thanks.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 04:02:41 pm »

Although, is it going to be that the creature gets their tools when they turn 12, or whenver their CHILD point is reached?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 08:43:26 pm »

CHILD point.
Sig

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 02:19:37 am »

I think it would be cool if "getting their tools" was a dwarven rite of passage, with other races attaching far fewer tools to workshops instead, and being unable to figure out dwarven ones that have no tools.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:28 pm »

If this gets implemented, I would go even further :

There are some toys which are clearly derived from adults tools, so why not use those for babies and children. They could get positive thoughts from having mini tools as well as they could learn from them.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:16 am »

If this gets implemented, I would go even further :

There are some toys which are clearly derived from adults tools, so why not use those for babies and children. They could get positive thoughts from having mini tools as well as they could learn from them.

Planned :>

"Bloat3, PLAY, (Future): Kids should want toys and play with them, adults can use puzzle boxes."

DarbyMcB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:29 pm »

I think before repair and things of that nature get looked at, we need to look at the fact that a 1x1x1 statue is going to take more gold than a pair of earings. because If I need to repair a small knife that has only minor wear, I don't think it should take an entire bar, while repairing a sword that snapped in half over someones head may just do that. Otherwise, I'mm all for it, I think this is a great suggestion, and I think an entire set should take about 1 of whatever unit you were going to make it out of, so rather than crafting 1 knife, 1 chisel, 1 loupe, etc. and have each one cost 1 unit to make, I think each dwarf should get a standard set, and make the set cost 1 unit, because these tools simply aren't very large, they won't take that many resources. IMHO.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:22 pm »

Great Idea.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57428.msg3925428#msg3925428

I have recently created a marvelous map fit for epic sagas. I have embarked towards the south along that large Aral like sea, I believe it is mostly frozen through the year. I brought 30 bars of steel to produce picks, armor, and weapons. I forgot to bring a single piece of coal to start my industry, so I took my seven miners to chop trees using wooden wedges made from the cart. Simply, genious for them, Elves'll be pissed.

I have tons of hard wood which I can use to fortify my Dwarves from the outside, though I also brought along seven marble blocks. Three have been laid ceremoniously for a future bridge to gap the fractionally smaller frozen lake south of the forested isthmus. I have used the other marble blocks to form the foundations of a carpentry, a masonry, a forge, and a furnace. Now, my poor Dwarves are stuck on the outside until I can force those damn traders to give me coal.

I really am in no room for discomfort as I have brought many animals to delight me, and would you actually believe my Dwarves chose a breeding pair of horses to pull the wagon?

Considering foremost the nature of Do-It-Yursef collapsible buildings complete with tools to start working, things like furnaces should have necessary tools to utilize fuel from wood and create charcoal.

The Fortress shouldn't rely on Tedium to function. Telling a Dwarf simply to make a house should be enough for that Dwarf to procure what it needs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:01:57 am by Bot Hack »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 12:38:06 am »

Agreed.
More or less.
Principle agreed on.
Sig

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 03:44:47 am »

I think starting dwarves should all come by default with a full set of tools they won't share, and new adults should come with whatever tools they think the will be using, in low quality with possible wear.
Pages: 1 [2]