Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven tools  (Read 3053 times)

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven tools
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:19 am »

I had a marksdwarf with No Job hanging around a Smooth Wall designation that no one was attending to. I enabled Stone Detailing on him so he would stop loitering around and do something useful. Then he just walked over that wall and started smoothing it. I tried to imagine how he would do it, for all he had was his clothes, a *cat bone crossbow* and his quiver+waterskin. How can he smooth a wall without a chisel and such? Scraping his beard all over the wall until it get perfectly smooth?

We could have some tools to give the game more depth. Some jobs could be done with stone tools produced at the Craftdwarf workshop (so you wont be held back at embark) and some more specific jobs could only be processed with metal tools made in the smithing workshops. The dwarves could carry them around in Toolbelts that would appear in the inventory screen wrapped around their hips, and you could see what is inside it so you can know if a specific dwarf can attend to a job or if he will need extra tools to do it.
How about that idea?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven tools
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:01:41 am »

Scraping his beard all over the wall until it get perfectly smooth?

Yes.

Also, planned, to a certain extent IIRC. Do please use the search function, check out the suggestions boad in some detail, and read the DevLogs.
This is a blank sig.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:30:36 pm »

There's been some very heated discussion on this topic in the past, and sadly a lot of people fail to see how this could be an awesome addition and get hung up on how it in their eyes would only add extra micromanagement. Definitely check one of the older topics ^^

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:10:43 pm »

I always imagined every dwarf got a set of tools, from knives to chisels, on their 12th birthday.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 01:25:43 pm »

I thought their batdwarven utility belt was powered by elven hatred, personally.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:23:36 pm »

Since they're literally indestructible, beards could probably be formed into any tool needed.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:38:44 pm »

I always imagined every dwarf got a set of tools, from knives to chisels, on their 12th birthday.

Me too.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:23:59 pm »

I wish civilian dwarves functioned more like the milatry in general, so I guess I'd be forced to support this.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:03:11 pm »

Saying that, what happens when the Kobolds invade the dining room at lunchtime?

Death by perforation?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 06:17:27 pm »

Yup.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:16:04 am »

I would support this, so long as I have an option to set aside a dwarf, a pile of bones, and a stack of stone and never have to worry about basic tools again. A standing (O)rder to have all required tools auto queued to a professional who makes them (tinkerdwarf?). I'd be willing to micromanage metal tools, because metal is so much more valuable. Maybe a manager esq. screen of all tools and replacement tools needed by working dwarves, waiting on an approval and a priority, 1-5. This is a thing nobles should love to mandate. "We can't risk another crop failing. I want 35 shovels by the end of the quarter! Made of crystal glass!"

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:16 pm »

...with menacing steel spikes, preferably.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 05:13:37 pm »

I always thought they had one, except it was not written about 'cause they had it since birth.
That would be their beard.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 07:13:04 am »

No, when they turn 12.
Sig

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »

Anyone settling on 8?

I'm not... So 12

Pages: [1] 2