Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Water clocks, computers, and automation  (Read 4459 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: Water clocks, computers, and automation
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

Fudge! And I used to think the wikipedia was good at explaining things in simple terms, not for loading jargon on top of jargon on top of jargon! Anywho, a transcription into DF terms might add a bit of useful context and some concrete examples.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

Sorry about that. Yes, in retrospect, Wikipedia's article is unnecessarily convoluted and I don't know why but most science articles up there eventually end up that way. Especially the math related. In that sense, wikipedia is becoming more and more useless with time.

Just by accident I stumbled with this very dorky but simple video that explains mechanical logic gates in detail. Skip to the 1:31 mark for the explanation on logic gates. Pretty neat.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 10:53:00 am »

Mwaha! It makes sense now, with the pushes and the pulls, etc.

Thanks for that one!

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »

Did I mention nerds?   :p
This is not a signature.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »

Skeeblix, you're just jealous that we have higher paying jobs, are satisfied and enjoy what we do, and are smarter than you to boot.

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Skeeblix, you're just jealous that we have higher paying jobs, are satisfied and enjoy what we do, and are smarter than you to boot.</STRONG>

I consider it as a compliment when people call me a nerd because to me, it's just their way of saying "You're smarter than me and it pisses me off".

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »

I think Skeeblix is just teasing us in good jest (and I'm pretty sure he's a nerd too).

By the way...

NEEEEEEEERRRRDDDDDSSSSSS!!!!

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

I agree with the nay-sayers: this is pointless. It will cost far more in materials and labor than any possible benefit to your fort.

I'm doing it because it's totally awesome that I can.

quote:
Originally posted by vallannion:
<STRONG>...

All of this would have to be at water pressure 1.

Can anyone think of an adaptor that will keep water at pressure 1, even when connnected to a river. If you could have a reservoir above that refilled when water was removed. Perhaps like this:

...</STRONG>

Something to consider is having an area two levels deep, with the top level containing some floor/plates that turn off the water flow when wet. Something like this:

code:

(x-z view)

Unregulated water source
|
|
V
~~~#############
~~~D          _# D opens when plate is dry, keeping water at depth 7 or so
~~~#~~~~~~~~~~## This is where the water is actually stored
##########G##### Have grates in the floor whenever you need a water source

You could have several D_ pairs throughout your reservoir. You could also change the reservoir depth. I'm considering combining my power supply and logic gates like this:

code:

(x-z view again)

~~~##########################
~~~D      _     _     _     #
~~~#~~~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~~#
~~~#~~~~~X X~~~#D#~~~D X~~~~#
##########G########G#########

(There's two cut-away logic gates and one side-view logic gate there.)

I'll also add some ramps, stairs, and doors for maintenance.

If your water source is waterwheels from below, you could also have the pressure plates control pumps directly connected to the power supply.

If I have a natural water source below the level of my computer, I'm thinking of not even regulating my ground, just drawing from the natural source and dumping back into it.

[ October 25, 2007: Message edited by: nagromo ]

Serialized

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »

I find it ironic that people who play an ASCII drawn obscure game based solely on its interesting mechanics also ask others "what's the point of doing that? What's it's real usefulness in the game?"

The creation and execution IS the point, it's fun to make logic gates and think "what if I did this?"

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vodalian:
<STRONG>

I consider it as a compliment when people call me a nerd because to me, it's just their way of saying "You're smarter than me and it pisses me off".</STRONG>

Agreed!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Andrew

• Bay Watcher
  • ░░░░░░
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

I'm passing on an obvious-after-you've-seen-it name for this insanity that a friend dropped:

<EtherWork> well it means you could come up with a simple FortrOS

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

My actual plan for the first thing to do is set up a retracting bridge over my farm.  And then put together a trough system that dumps 1 water all arcossed that bridge and causes it to retract at that point.  My version of creating rain for my farm.  I will likely work out the timing details as I get to play with the mechanics, but the goal would be to have it 'rain' right after the water in my farm evaporated.

Start simple and make sure I know every detail about how the mechanics are working, then have some fun making a self mutating labyrinth.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

Hooray for nerds!  We are the true masters of the next version!

I'm learning some of that logic design in an engineering class, definitely applicable to DF! (among other things).  The new version is going to be fun for sure.

But there's still some things I'm worried about.
a)  How does the water soak into the soil to make farms?  I haven't been keeping up with new stuff lately so I'm not sure.  I think you'll need some kind of dirt from around cave rivers or outside in addition to water, which wouldn't allow complete automation a la automation.
b)  Time!  The water might run really slow.  While it is worthwhile to have multiple levers pulled automatically and in the proper order, timing will be hard to fine-tune for traps or other sensitive things.  Will we ever get a faster-running liquid?  Can't we send it downwards to speed it up?
c)  Possible changes to mechanics would also be troublesome.  Can you still hook up two different things from across the fortress?  Or do you need some kind of literal connection now?

I love being a nerd.

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

Speaking of logic gates, anyone here ever mess around with wireworld? I think it's pretty fun to try to build things like logic gates, memory etc. Here's an example digital computer made with wireworld: http://www.quinapalus.com/wi-java.html

[ October 25, 2007: Message edited by: Vodalian ]

Novocain

• Bay Watcher
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

I'd like to see a fortress capable of playing Connect Four against adventurers, with its own AI.

In fact, I might do just that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3