Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Greedmonger  (Read 3414 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greedmonger
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:38:53 pm »

Found something new and promising looking.

http://www.greedmonger.com/

It's barely into development, but it seems as if it's going to be a crafting-centric game a lot like Wurm Online, but perhaps more rationally developed.  Looks like it might handle land ownership in an instanced manner, but I'm not really clear on that.  They are going for a cross between old school game mechanics and modern graphics, which if nothing else will be interesting.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greedmonger
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:43:20 pm »

Found something new and promising looking.

http://www.greedmonger.com/

It's barely into development, but it seems as if it's going to be a crafting-centric game a lot like Wurm Online, but perhaps more rationally developed.  Looks like it might handle land ownership in an instanced manner, but I'm not really clear on that.  They are going for a cross between old school game mechanics and modern graphics, which if nothing else will be interesting.

I am not sure this game is a satire

Or a game that just cuts to the chase and goes "You know what... you know why you are playing"

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:44:49 pm »

There is some discussion happening in the forums and on mmorpg regarding a possible name change.

It would probably be a good idea.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:47:01 pm »

I don't really get the concept of this game, looks more of like that one joke kickstarter mmo project that over-emphasized 'guild banks.'
Not sure how this will go, but doesn't really look too great to me, from what I understand, it's basically open pvp mmo with customizable houses... which is saying a lot.
perhaps the devs are going for niche market, but then again... not much 'niche' stuff per se
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:04:36 pm »

I don't really get the concept of this game, looks more of like that one joke kickstarter mmo project that over-emphasized 'guild banks.'
Not sure how this will go, but doesn't really look too great to me, from what I understand, it's basically open pvp mmo with customizable houses... which is saying a lot.
perhaps the devs are going for niche market, but then again... not much 'niche' stuff per se

Eh, where did you get open world pvp from?  I didn't see that at all.  Seems more like Wurm Online with some instancing, better graphics, and perhaps a clearer design theory concentrating on more grit and less magic.  Maybe I'm seeing it with blinders on.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:04:50 pm »

Man this game seem to be Irth Online even better ( for those who dont know what Irth Online is, think UO 3D would be describe it ). I soo frigging hope they make it!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 09:05:34 pm »

Eh, where did you get open world pvp from?  I didn't see that at all.  Seems more like Wurm Online with some instancing, better graphics, and perhaps a clearer design theory concentrating on more grit and less magic.  Maybe I'm seeing it with blinders on.

After reading i didnt see anything relate to instance.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:05:53 pm »

snip
oh derp, limited pvp with open world gameplay. I must be on something today. Sorry.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:12:14 pm »

After reading i didnt see anything relate to instance.

Hrm, you are right, housing is not instanced.  I misread something.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:27:44 pm »

I highly doubt that this will get past Kickstarter, even though they haven't put it up yet. Because if they ask for a million or so, then they will not be able to finish it. If they ask for about the normal MMO development cost, they will never reach their goal.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »

First thing that 'pops' out at me...
Are you a Prince or a Popper?

Popper? What the hell is a popper?

I guess they meant to say pauper. Is that an intentional mistake, or is their writer a 'popper' in terms of knowledge of the English language?  :P

Other than that, seems like a really generic and bland open world game design. Free to play crafting/building/pve game, with the land in the game for sale at $20 each parcel. I guess their plan is to make their money on virtual real estate. Not much different than Wurm in that regard, with Wurm charging to claim and maintain a hold on virtual land.

Not something I'd put my money in, but I wish them luck.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:35:16 pm »

I highly doubt that this will get past Kickstarter, even though they haven't put it up yet. Because if they ask for a million or so, then they will not be able to finish it. If they ask for about the normal MMO development cost, they will never reach their goal.

Depends on how Sandboxy it really is.  The more sandboxy a game is, the less it will cost to develop, because you don't need all the premade content.

Financing is always a big issue, but my bigger concern is that the guy in charge isn't an experienced game developer.  He is an entrepreneur and a successful manager, but that lack of experience in the gaming industry is a bigger challenge for the game than funding, IMHO.  ((Financing and game design experience do go hand-in-hand)).  If you look at the media they have already, they definitely seem to have a good starting point already for world building.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

They are at 22,000 out of 30,000 for their lowest tier goal, with 20 of 30 days left to go.

I'm cautiously hopeful about the game.  I'm encouraged that they actually seem to have the world design and a lot of the simple content active before they even started the kickstarter.

Several different major gamesites have taken a look at it and I haven't seen any WTF red flags yet.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 09:18:23 am »

I liked this until I scrolled down to "Dev-Controlled Monsters" and realized how this could make or break the game based on whether the GM's were fair or leaning more towards that "Helping friends" model I so tirelessly see in games like this.

Now, i'm not bashing the game, and I do think it looks decent but....i'm scared about donating to something that has this feature and yet I know nothing about who is going to be behind the wheel when it's out.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »

Kickstarter was met and exceeded by a significant margin.  Now we wait and see what happens next.  Alpha testing is expected to start April-ish I believe.
Pages: [1] 2