Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Nate's Terrafirmacraft Server: Put the Survival in Survival mode!  (Read 51298 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Nate's Terrafirmacraft Server: Put the Survival in Survival mode!
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2012, 06:12:16 pm »

Hmm.. that new land seem intriguing.. When I got the chance, I will help settle an outpost there.
(Yes, I am kinda tired of our minimalist mountainhome.)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2012, 06:32:36 pm »

Ultimuh, if you want to see something less minimalist, you should see tomorrow's update. I promise you some rather interesting geological features.

Day 4

Despite my fear, grass is growing again beyond the dirt plains and I begin to see familiar animals, such as pigs and sheep. The heat can't have been the sole cause of the remarkable decrease of vegetation, since the termometer is steadily rising as I continue my journey.
the sea can once again be seen, this time on the east. I wonder if it is the same ocean that I crossed, or a whole new one. I hope it won't cut my way.

Trees! I finally found trees! but they are different from anything I have seen at the mountainhome.
some of them are as tall as sequoias, while other are as big as a normal oak or hickory; some more instead are mere shrubs covering the ground in their leaves. Everything is covered in vines and branches, and the air is incredibly moist; I sometimes feel like I could swim in the air like in water.
The wood is hard and suitable as building material for houses or boats.
I'll call this tree "Kapok"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

despite my best efforts, walking across this new environment, this jungle, is very difficult and dangerous; several times a cliff , hidden by bushes, endangered my life.
I cut a smaller tree and carve it into a canoe, not unlike my first one, and follow the coastline. I will land again only when the terrain is more accessible, or when the coastline bends and forces me to abandon my canoe.

I finally landed , after sunset, and built a small shelter on the coast, out of cobble and wood.
While I am still in the jungle, the worst is behind me and the road south is now free. I am getting close, if I continue at this speed, it will only take a few more days. But eve without finding the equator, just the discovery of this new kind of tree would be worth this expedition.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »

This is really interesting.
You'll probably complete it when I'm asleep though. Shame for me I guess. Ah well, that's what the logs are for.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2012, 07:22:19 pm »

Hey, TFC got itself all fixed up for V 1.4.2. Those bugs I ran into last night are already fixed. This developer works fast.

When will we be updating? I'd love to join you guys, but I'm having trouble rolling my MC back and getting the necessary older files.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2012, 07:23:14 pm »

Well, buttoning down for sandy atm. Not along the coast but we are getting a blizzard advisory. That and the fact that last windstorm we had punched our power out for almost 5 days...

If you don't hear from me I'll probably be making snowmen in the streets with the neighbors.

Going to stay with the current working version for the immediate future. I don't want to go hopping back and forth, especially when I might not be able to be there to fix it right now.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2012, 08:12:56 pm »

Hurricanes and power outages are no excuse to shirk your duties providing us with a server for our enjoyment. >:I

...but seriously, I hope you're alright. I'm considerably farther inland, but we still share a power grid. If anyone could provide me with some help rolling back to the old version of TFC, or perhaps with a patched JAR, could you drop me a PM?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2012, 01:37:11 am »

Competition Idea ::

\\::TWO FORT:://

Two Fort is basically what it sounds like, two forts are constructed and compete against one another not in combat but in Wealth. Two groups of 5 Dwarves, (hermits are unadvised to take this travel as of yet due to the harshness of the land) head over the Sea to the New Land and strike the Earth separately and construct two new Forts in the name of Armok. Each Game Year they will send back their prospective wealth from two areas, Material Wealth and Architectural Wealth...

Material Wealth ::- Materiel Wealth is accumulated much like one would expect, the expanse of the Storage is tallied up and reported, each item presenting a different value towards this total. Gems are included as they are considerably valuable. These Values are not as such set yet for many of these items and requires a Scribe to create them...

Architectural Wealth ::- Architectural Wealth is that of how the Fort is designed and built, like All Dwarves underground or into a Mountain is one of the main things that is considered first and foremost, after that the design of each room and its use is important. A Meeting Hall/Dinning Hall, A storage Room, A Kitchen, Bedrooms for each Dwarf of the Fort, Dedicated Forges and An Armory are all Important to any Fort. Having these meets the min AW but their design is boosted by presenting them too that of the community to judge and evaluate...

After a few undisclosed years the competition will be finished and a foothold within this New Land shall be claimed for Armok and All Dwarves...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »

The fort where less players become eventually inactive would win...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2012, 01:43:53 pm »

That's true. That is a true thing you just said.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2012, 04:11:16 pm »

The fort where less players become eventually inactive would win...
a game year is around 2-3 RL days last checked so unless you log on once I doubt that it would be much of a problem nor would you join the comp fort if you know you can't last even a game year...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »

This is really interesting.
You'll probably complete it when I'm asleep though. Shame for me I guess. Ah well, that's what the logs are for.
If it makes you feel better, I wrote and posted posted the first logs after I arrived at the equator. I am writing from memory and screenshots. and nobody was online :/

Andrea, I think you'd make a very good LPer.

written LP, at least/ not sure what you're like for a video.
Thanks!

Considering I have no microphone, I guess a video would be quite boring :P last time I livestreamed minecraft, I had to use signs to speak with audience.
besides, I get bored quite easily. I still have an abandoned and unfinished RTD game on this forum :(

Day 5
As I guessed, the jungle is soon over and once again I find endless plains in front of me to cross.
Yesterday's Kapok trees are still the only ones I found, besides fruit trees. even grass species, at a closer examination seem closely related to those that can be found near Mountainhome.
I believe that there might be a point in which the 2 continents are much closer, somewhere. Animals must have crossed it, carrying seeds of fruits and grass in their intestines, but the inedible and immobile treescouldn't spread reach the other side of the sea.

I begin to see the shapes of some mountains on the horizon. I hope that they won't force me to deviate from the shortest path; today I should arrive roughly within 2000 Urists from the equator, and I have no intention to delay the end of the journey.

I entered the mountainous region and I am overjoyed. Not only the path isn't blocked, but some of the mountains are of such magnificence that they leave me stunned. The very bones of mother Earth poke out of its thin skin , a majestic jaw swallowing the ground. A tower of rock so mighty that it could be Armok's seat in this world.  I'll call this monument of granite "Armok's throne".
On my way back, I'll camp here and do a geological surey. Now, however, I can't afford to stop, not even for such a spectacular display of nature's beauty.
This region keeps showing wonders beyond imagination. not much farther southward than Armok's throne, I find myself under the watchful and stone cold gaze of a giant guardian.
this mountain's remarkable resemblance to a dog is most likely a truly wonderous coincidence but were it in a more populated area, tools and masons would be my first thought.
I shall call this region "Valley of Giants", and the aforementioned mountain "Silent Shepherd"

further down, on the southern edge of the valley of giants, I find 3 peaks merged into a single chain. Its name shall be "Wraith", as a ghost is what its shape reminds me of.
despite the dreadful name, this is where I'll spend the night. A scientific mind doesn't fall prey to superstition and night is falling once again. an accurate reading of the sextant tells me that I am now just slightly less than 1000 Urists from equator; tomorrow is the great day.

note: now that screenshots are posted... am I crazy or is that mountain a very good imagine of a german shepherd? It is nearly perfect. at least from that angle.

also, I totally want to settle Armok's throne :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »

In true dwarvern fashion, eventually this server will reach a point where a company starts up, politically independent from any mountainhomes, and starts gently caressing the landscape with huge quarries to dig up materials and ores to fuel the hungry consumers at the outposts and mountainhome in return for high quality food and all of that.
Armok's throne will be ruled by worldwide treaty to be left untouched. The Silent Shepherd too because DOGGIES.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »

also, I totally want to settle Armok's throne :P
Same...
What kind of construction would you have in mind? A hanging City above its seat? :P

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2012, 06:27:19 pm »

well, I was thinking about some kind of city hanging from/ dug into the sides of the throne.
but I am not quite good at building, so if somebody good is willing to accept the task, I'd love to hear some good plans.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »

well, I was thinking about some kind of city hanging from/ dug into the sides of the throne.
but I am not quite good at building, so if somebody good is willing to accept the task, I'd love to hear some good plans.

I can build, but I need lots of materials I don't want to mine myself.
And I am not sure if your defenition of a good builder is the same as mine.
But I can try.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:14:27 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21