Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarven drills and elavators.  (Read 4810 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven drills and elavators.
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:09:22 pm »

I think the dwarves would be smart enough to build a drill that would dig down for them powerd by mills.
Sending suicude dorfs down a channel tunnel works but... eh.

I should also think that if dorfs can rig a bridge to a lever miles away with two pairs of "mechanisims"
then they should be able to build a dumbwaiter.

The dumbwaiter could have the same mechanics as minecart "stops" and/or have the performance of bridges.
Being "manual" needing a lever pulled.

(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven drills and elavators.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »

Moving fortress parts are planned, so I won't dwell on the dumbwaiter (or the underimplemented feature you justify it with), but the drills sound quite neat. Maybe not practical, and probably a bit past the 1400s, but neat.

Any other thoughts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:47:40 pm »

Perhaps an elven verical-oriented launcher, capable of launching the offenders to previously unheard of heights?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:22 pm »

"Urist! Your drill is the drill that will STRIKE THE EARTH!"
Honestly the first thing that came into my head when I saw the drills part.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:39:12 am »

Although it does seem a tad overpowered, being able to dig down scot-free. Aquifiers would be FUN, too.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 11:09:31 am »

Although it does seem a tad overpowered Fun, being able to dig down scot-free. Aquifiers would be extra FUN, too.
Fixed it for you. No control... probably, your machine would unleash the caverns and smash on the floor. They wouldn't be cheap, or easy (barring some neat thingy with a dwarf pumping water into a watermill on top, of course).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 01:23:35 pm »

So... Is it a hydraulic superweapon, or a magic Dwarven ingenuity powered machine? Assuming, of course that there's a difference.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 01:26:42 pm »

It's a way to make a big chute that costs resources, nit dwarves.

-----

How would you supply power to a drill that keeps drilling down?
Sig

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 06:02:46 pm »

Well, obviously the same way you power up pumps and mills etc. My personal opinion is that the drill should take a lot of power and have a certain limit on how deep it can dig. Perhaps depending on how many "drill" parts you build it with. 1 drill=1 z -level would be quite balanced, don't you think?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »

Right answer, wrong question. How would you power a moving drill, or how would an immobile drill be more useful than a dwarf with a pickaxe?
Sig

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 02:25:30 am »

I don't particularly care for the idea of a drill but I do have an idea on how you can power it. Instead of building your shafts between your power source and your power requiring object like you would with most other objects you would stack your axels on top of the drill in a tower like manner.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 07:13:01 am »

Right answer, wrong question. How would you power a moving drill, or how would an immobile drill be more useful than a dwarf with a pickaxe?
Sig

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 11:23:01 am »

Been gone a bit.

The drill would be like modern well drillers, as in it would have extra pipe sections placed in from the top.

You would power it the same way you would a screw pump.

Real drillers have to replace the tip every (quite often).

I forgot about the aquifer but it would drain down flooding the new pit you just drilled.

Maby you could add pipe sections to the screw pump and make it pump from deeper.

About all I have for now. Oreo that was a good anime series, I saw most of it but missed 2 episodes near the end.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sig

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 11:36:16 am »

Drop coal down the new pit to the suicide driver.
Drill Im suggesting.
   Drillmachine
           s
           h
           a
           f
           t

Drill your suggesting
   land  land
        l  l
        a a
        n n
        dPd
P=The drill machine

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5