Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness for PS3  (Read 3528 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness for PS3
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:35:43 pm »

There was no topic for this so I decide to make my own.
Big update with more info do to being out in japan
New Classes
Male Healer (That what I've been told)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Female Heavy Knight
Sea Angel
Mounts

The game will also feature a new weapon type, Book, which seems to act as a second magic based weapon and allows users to summon spirits to damage their targets. A Brighter Darkness will also feature slightly more in-depth character customization, such as making Personality Types alter a unit's special abilities. The Weapon Mastery system from the first two installments is set to return rather than the Weapon Forte system as seen in Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4.
Pre-ordering the game will give the player a code allowing them to download "Legacy Costumes" for Laharl, Etna and Flonne allowing the player to use their sprites from Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten. Fuka and Desco were also revealed to be the game's first DLC characters.

Further information on the game revealed that Krichevskoy's castle will again act as the hub area for the game and that players can do as Laharl, Etna and Flonne (with the castle residents having different dialogue with each one of them).

Here the english trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPIxffkktJg
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:37:24 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Disgaea Dimension 2 for PS3
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:32:56 am »

Well color me interested. I always felt that the original cast of Disgaea was the best so I would like to see how this turns out.
A part of me hopes that they go back to the first game's style of story and humor though. It just felt like a tighter experience that the later games I've played seem to lack a bit of, even though the gameplay has been refined.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:01 am »

Hmm I hope it does as well, It does say it takes the best from 1 and 4 with all new stuff as well.

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:19:50 am »

One thing I am absolutely not looking forward to is the reset button they have been very fond of lately.

Basically anytime a character in these games learns a lesson in not being a total evil dude... Expect this character development to be erased COMPLETELY by the time another game comes along.

Laharl has acted like he was at the start of the first game in every cameo he has been in... Even in games set canonically after the whole event.

So yeah, this may actually represent a dissolving of the storylines. Where the storyline doesn't matter anymore and it becomes "Laharl's adventures!"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:25:43 am by Neonivek »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »

One thing I am absolutely not looking forward to is the reset button they have been very fond of lately.

Basically anytime a character in these games learns a lesson in not being a total evil dude... Expect this character development to be erased COMPLETELY by the time another game comes along.

Laharl has acted like he was at the start of the first game in every cameo he has been in... Even in games set canonically after the whole event.

So yeah, this may actually represent a dissolving of the storylines. Where the storyline doesn't matter anymore and it becomes "Laharl's adventures!"

A good point actually.
I think they do that so the character has some reason to invade the other worlds at all and thus make their cameo.
Not sure how they are going to work why Laharl wants to mess stuff up again into the new game, considering how the first one ends.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »

That was a major contributor to me not enjoying any of the Disgaea games after the first, despite loving tactical RPGs. It constantly felt like they were looking for ways to recapture the exact vibe of first game in any way possible, continuity or character development be damned. That and the fact that the brand of humor got really obnoxious after 20 hours of the first game, much less having the same jokes and situations repeated game after game.

NIS is a bit of a sacred cow, but their games are hitting Dynasty Warriors levels of stale for me. This announcement does nothing to rectify that feeling for me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:34:42 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:40 pm »

think they do that so the character has some reason to invade the other worlds at all and thus make their cameo

I think it has more to do with the fact that they balance humor with storytelling badly.

The reason Laharl is always like "Start of Disgaea Laharl" is because that is the most funny Laharl. A Laharl with compassion, even if he can be a jerk, would be no where close to as funny as evil Laharl *Sarcasm*.

It constantly felt like they were looking for ways to recapture the exact vibe of first game in any way possible, continuity or character development be damned.

Can you blame them? How unpopular was Disgaea 2, which genuinly went with a different story and almost a different tone, was?

I think the second is criminally underrated and in many ways it fell short of its full potential rather then having no potential like most Disgaea fans would say.

Though this was the first time they did hit the reset switch.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:48:42 pm by Neonivek »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:33:15 pm »

I find Disgaea 2 to be fine in my honest opinion, about the same level as Disgaea 3. Though maybe that comes from liking Adell and Rozalin more than Mao. Raspberyl was cool, and should have been the protagonist instead.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:57 pm »

I find Disgaea 2 to be fine in my honest opinion, about the same level as Disgaea 3. Though maybe that comes from liking Adell and Rozalin more than Mao. Raspberyl was cool, and should have been the protagonist instead.
The third definitely felt like the weakest in story and character design to me, but the gameplay felt like an overall improvement to me. Each iteration's gameplay brought some interesting elements and depth, I don't think I've ever been disappointed on that front. I wasn't a big fan of Disgaea 2 personally, but the plot development kept me interested at least.

Regardless of all that, I'm definitely looking forward to this. The "Dimension" part of the title is confusing to me though, it makes me feel like I missed "Disgaea Dimension 1". I'm not sure if "Disgaea: Hour of Darkness 2" sounds any better, but it's slightly less confusing to me.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 11:06:25 pm »

Some new info and two pic
Also a trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDdX0VgyRA release date in japan is 3/20/2013
Also A screenshot of the game also showed Laharl riding a Dragon, revealing that Monster Mounting will be a feature in the game (though what monster mounting does has yet to be revealed).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:09:38 pm by Alkhemia »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disgaea Dimension 2 for PS3 Release Date in Japan is 3/20/2013
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 11:10:35 pm »

HOLY Continuity!

Is that Hanako?

Also that means that Disgaea 2 has the unique possition of being just about the only Disgaea to officially use the "good ending".

The Disgaea series tends to make the canon ending be a slightly altered bad ending (Disgaea 1, Makai Kingdom, and La Pucile all canonically had the bad ending)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:14:07 pm by Neonivek »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 11:13:32 pm »

not sure we will found out when the show us more about the story characters also the female Laharl

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 11:14:52 pm »

not sure we will found out when the show us more about the story characters also the female Laharl

I really hope it is Hanako because her absense is somewhat annoying given that by all means she is supposed to be with Etna.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 11:22:20 pm »

I really hope it is Hanako because her absense is somewhat annoying given that by all means she is supposed to be with Etna.
wait where do you mean the angel or am I just not seeing her

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 11:24:26 pm »

wait where do you mean the angel or am I just not seeing her

Yeah the Angel. Who I assume is given an alternate getup for some reason.

Ignoring that she actually looks like Laharl and Flonne's Daughter. Given that she has her father's eyes and her mother's appearance.
Pages: [1] 2