Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108421 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #855 on: January 03, 2013, 08:13:23 pm »

Is this like the new game that's coming out, 0x10c?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:13 pm »

No, it doesn't have programmable computers. And its actually pronouceable.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 03, 2013, 08:40:48 pm »

And I'm not quite certain, but I think this was here first.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 03, 2013, 08:53:18 pm »

0x10c has a primary focus on realistic emulation of an old 16-bit processor and isn't really voxel or mining based. A ship editor is in the works apparently? A monthly subscription MMO just for people to go nuts with homebrew programming and hacking. Technically, the spaceships aren't even required for this. I don't know why people keep comparing 0x10c to "Minecraft-esque" space games when Notch already explicitly stated there won't be Minecraft mining in this.

Corneroids is only voxels and completely focused on mining for said voxels, like in Minecraft. There's a heavy focus on hardcore ship physics, with force vectors about a center of mass. Placement of thrusters and designing a spaceship to work like... well an actual spaceship. 6-DOF isn't free, and designing a ship is actually pretty hard in regards to maneuvering in space. You bind keys to individual thrusters or clusters. Ships are clunky to manuever, very limited by their design, require multiple people just to control, and combat generally ends with one ship outmaneuvering and some lucky shots to destroy key systems. Yay resulting spacehulks. Think Infiniminer but with hardcore spaceships. Needless to say, /v/ and /vg/ love this game. In fact, they have pretty much the only truly active community group for it pretty much since it first surfaced.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 03, 2013, 11:11:00 pm »

This is about the closest to "hard science spaceship creation" as I've seen, ignoring the fact that ships stop when you kill the engines, but that's a game limitation, because the player would lose ships.  The thrust styles are all very hardcore.  Center of mass and 'the whole ship is a lever' heavily influence design decisions.  And although it features full maneuverability, in truth you're about as maneuverable as an asteroid cut in half, and battles will be waged over long-range engagements simply to avoid crashing into each other because no one can fly very well.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 04, 2013, 05:36:36 am »

I made a ship in 1.0.5 that I didn't get to fly and i think would work pretty well due to me doing my best to keep the center of mass in the middle (aka, a heavy nuclear engine and 2 of the biggest thrusters in the back and a front made entirely out of heavy titanium).
Took me quite a while to build and design, but I think it'll work.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 04, 2013, 07:00:43 am »

So now i'm playing this again.
Rolling the creative item pack, so that I don't have to work.
Woo.
Building a pretty big ship this time.
I've got about half of my forward thrusters done and armored, I have like, 10% of my final firepower set up. (4 Lance Cannons so far)
I also have the frame of what the entire hull of my ship should end up looking like built.
I might post screenies when I get back from school today.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 04, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »

I just downloaded Corneroids. When I launch it, it immediately says that it stopped working, and that Microsoft is "Finding out more about the problem." (I know this never has done anything, but still.) My new computer is very powerful, so it's douptful that doesn't meet the system requirements. If someone could tell me all the software I need to run this game, or if that doesn't matter, then how to fix it, that would be great. I have Windows 7 64 bit.

P.S Corneroids sounds like some sort of medical condition.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 04, 2013, 04:52:21 pm »

Read the entire site. There are prerequisites and the installer isn't available again yet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 04, 2013, 05:04:22 pm »

The site has been read. Do those frameworks need to be that exact version? I have newer versions of both.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 04, 2013, 05:14:32 pm »

Yes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 04, 2013, 09:39:47 pm »

OH MY DEAR ME. I downgraded the XNA framework and that did the trick. Oddly, I didn't need to do so with the .NET framework. Anyway, this game is amazing. How do I walk on stuff, though? Even when I'm I'm in my ship, all I can do is float around, even though there's an icon in the corner of a boot touching a floor. Sorry for all the dumb queations, by the way...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »

I've got at least three different version of .NET on here, that framework doesn't seem to care whats there as long as it works correctly.

Boot means you won't get flung off (usually) if the object starts moving. Theres not any gravity besides that yet; though if you turn the fixed camera option on you can stay facing the same direction while in an objects influence. (It might make your ship rather awkward to navigate it it ends up being 'upsidedown' afterwards though :P)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:55:06 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 04, 2013, 09:59:17 pm »

Yeah, I tried using that setting in my ship, but the camera kept flipping upside down. This game gives me motion sickness...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 04, 2013, 10:07:43 pm »

6DOF games can do that, sorry. When you don't have to worry about silly restrictions like ground and sufficient gravity to hold you on said ground, up can turn into down, left can turn into right, and if you lose track of where you're going its easy to turn forward into the wrong direction and backward into the right direction (or also the wrong way).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62