Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108438 times)

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #825 on: December 24, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »

Hahaha!  Bump!
Oh hell yes multiplayer is finally-
>:|

---
Have some content.
I actually was waiting to make a modpack using "realistic" materials with alloys of Iron, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, rhenium, tungsten, titanium, aluminum... etc with things like platinum family metals for electronics and radioactive materials like polonium (actually used as a power source for space probes) for increasingly complex nuclear reactors (kiss my molten salt you ancient light water reactors! Uranium is for dense armor plating). I'd everything organized into 3 major density groups for how far into the asteroid it would be. Thing is, I couldn't really designate different "types" of asteroids and really didn't want a perfectly even minecraft-style distribution across everything.

Then I played with a spreadsheet to "balance" 3 "tiers" of technology (based on the 3 asteroid density levels) until I ran out of enthusiasm. Never got past screwing with armor values. I'll check this out, but if it doesn't have powerarmor I'm making my own mod :p

Cloaking
Texture is transparent when powered? Can we do that?
minelayers
In the 1.0.5 alpha engine? Did you just set projectile speed to 0 and lifetime to indefinite like with cloak?
balance
Ship weapons vs ship armor vs player weapons vs player armor is crucial... and the 255 value limit is a PITA... but this and new features like cloaking is more important than adding more unobtanium.

Damn, I need to play around with this some more.

I sent him an email with feature requests and feedback a while ago, sadly I haven't gotten a reply back.
Yep. I posted the gist of mine here some pages back too. He needs a forum, twitter isn't going to cut it.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 25, 2012, 01:22:54 am »

Powered armor isn't possible, sadly. My top-tier armor is called "alloy", and is a generic blueish-grey material.

transparent when powered
It's possible to do it that way, but it looks like shit, and all non-transparent components are clearly visible through your invisible hull.

minelayers
Basically, yeah. Square projectiles that deals maximum damage. When you 'fire' the module it places them about 20 blocks away from the end of the module.

balance
Nearly impossible with player health values, but I think I've got decent values for v3.

I'm also doing a similar thing with linear strength distribution (or rather, throwing it out the window). I'd rather see a focus on mass production (especially when we get mining lasers) and nonlinear trends than on finding the biggest asteroid you can and digging for redium because it's the only material that's relevant at endgame.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 25, 2012, 04:52:52 am »

Powered armor isn't possible, sadly.
All I need is variable block health for it being powered, but otherwise it IS possible if you are willing to play along and actually power the armor. I figure it should be a third option with the highest HP and cost to the otherwise simple light/heavy variants of armor for each tech level. Use it for tiny critical spots like exposed wire bits (ie cannon mounts) or wherever the maximum HP density per volume is required.

It's possible to do it that way, but it looks like shit, and all non-transparent components are clearly visible through your invisible hull.
There's a rendering bug where you will see through the block and any surfaces it's connected to, properly cloaking anything provided you look at it from the right direction. Otherwise, invisible armor! My general strategy will be to plate my ship in light titanium, just so they can't immediately judge the relative tech level of the ship. A layer of invisible armor might allow for a good ploy to have them underestimate your protection or to create the illusion of a weak point on the ship where there is none and/or nothing.

Nearly impossible with player health values, but I think I've got decent values for v3.
The real trick is the 255 value limit when a player already has 100 hp. Can't really be done in the current version beyond player vs tech level 1.

I'd rather see a focus on mass production (especially when we get mining lasers) and nonlinear trends than on finding the biggest asteroid you can and digging for redium because it's the only material that's relevant at endgame.
Mining lasers? Like automated mining from the ship? Mass production from mobile death factories? NOOOOOO. I have a completely different vision for this game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Forget unobtaniredium. My idea was to use 'actual' superalloys that use a small amount of T3 ore, but the bulk of production is still the more plentiful T1-T2 ores. If all higher tech products used mostly lower tech ores then drilling straight to the core will just be a small tick on the "to-do" list of T3. Distribution should be such that a good surplus of lower tech ores should remain even after using all the higher tech ores in alloys from a single asteroid, and you might get 1-2 T3 items out of a single asteroid if you're lucky. Given sufficient rarity and nerfing of T3, it won't really be linear or nonlinear so much as binary.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 25, 2012, 10:25:40 am »

The modders went to hell and back again with damage values.  The 255 damage-per-shot cap is perfect, so long as you treat it like it should be.  The modders in /vg/ just looked at it and said "I love how I can crash my Minecraft when I insta-spawn a tower of 100,000 TNT.  Oh hey I can mod a new laser into Corneroids!"  Similar to Minecraft, it's like the suits of powered armor.  "You take zero damage, and also it fills your hunger and air supply and also fall damage.  You can sit at the bottom of the ocean being attacked by hundreds of zombies for hours!"

So disregard the 255 damage cap.  Regular weapons are going up to what, 25?  Let's not blow EVERYTHING out of proportion...

Also, don't worry about player's health being 100.  I'm certain that player damage and block damage will get reworked.  As it stands, anti-personnel guns do 20 damage, which will destroy any block.  However, the player has 100 health.  When AP guns get updated, and do 0-1 damage to blocks but 20 damage to players, then it'll make sense.  The easiest way to tweak this, I think, would to just declare "All projectiles do 20x damage to players." and then tweak weapons to comply.  Of course, ideally all weapons would get two damage ratings.  "Damage to terrain" and "Damage to player" so AP guns could get 0 to terrain and 20 to player, while a mining drill could get 20 to terrain and 0 to player, and anti-frigate guns just do 25 to terrain and "instant death" to player.

I really think the top-tier items should be more about diluting than about power-housing.  Like, instead of having extremely rare Redium blocks, instead make it so that Redium is used to dilute Titanium, so that 1 Titanium + 1 Redium = 20 Titanium.  Or other alloying methods to "stretch out" your resources.  The higher tiers of metals would turn into armor that isn't any better, but is cheaper.  After all, warfare is never about who's got the biggest gun.  War is about who can replace their lost guns the fastest.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 25, 2012, 10:44:45 am »

It says Corneroids has stopped working as soon as I double click it, I'm running Windows 7 32-bit, help please?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 25, 2012, 10:47:07 am »

You lack one of two requirements listed on the main page.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 25, 2012, 10:52:12 am »

Yup, thanks, I got it working.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 31, 2012, 12:07:19 am »

Bump.

Multiplayer release is tomorrow.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 31, 2012, 12:34:45 am »

Bump.

Multiplayer release is tomorrow.

Following Mikko Pulkki's Twitter account, eh?
Well, maybe the massive blasting clashes between starships might not happen until future releases, but 8 players does the trick by now. Also, he kept his word and maybe we'll have some new modded features thrown with the Vanilla release. I think that's what happened with 1.0.5

It will be awesome.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 31, 2012, 12:39:20 am »

:D

But... I just started building an uber-ship!  :(

Over twelve thousand tons placed for nothing...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 31, 2012, 02:06:31 am »

If anyone tries to get me to do anything between 3-5pm today then I am going to flip.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:00 am »

Well, I'm ready for the multiplayers, and I can probably host unless someone has a better idea.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:51 am »

Hey guys.
Guess what I found on /vg/.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 31, 2012, 10:57:27 am »

Goddamnit, tomorrow is the one day I can't play. Let's hope forsaken has a day off.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 01, 2013, 04:47:01 pm »

Have you guys had any luck with multiplayer? I tried it with my brother last night but he kept de-syncing, so we ended up stopping before getting anything built.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 62