Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108490 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #750 on: November 19, 2012, 05:26:12 pm »

I kind of hope there's a way to semi - automate this sort of thing in the real game, else I think we'll just be spamming aluminium - framed fighters with occasional 2 - man titanium frigates. Pound - for - pound, I think these are most effective.

The way things look currently, it's quite difficult to build a massive huge battle ship, which is maybe realistic if a shame. :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 19, 2012, 05:33:15 pm »

And that will be when it's interesting, to watch how designs develop.  And of course on private servers we can make house rules about "ships must be X tonnage before they're allowed to fly."

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 19, 2012, 05:37:19 pm »

Will there be any cargo ships, d'you think? :)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:33 pm »

Will there be any cargo ships, d'you think? :)

I thin we will be mostly sticking cargo wherever if fits, but maybe, for our eventual A.R.M.O.K(M)

(Asteroid Reformation to Militarize Overpowered Killing (Machines)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 19, 2012, 06:22:21 pm »

That old STARBOUND ship I designed was intended to carry cargo, but then I realised that unless you had ridiculously huge amounts of minerals it was too big.  :-[

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 19, 2012, 06:34:57 pm »

That old STARBOUND ship I designed was intended to carry cargo, but then I realised that unless you had ridiculously huge amounts of minerals it was too big.  :-[

So, get ridiculously huge amounts of minerals! Also, we have a acronym... THIS IS GOING TO TURN INTO B12 SPACE PROGRAM 2.0!!!

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 19, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »

I've been thinking about game balance and gameplay for awhile myself. I consider the current "balance" completely a placeholder and the game largely incomplete. I've got ideas for a mod and some stats on paper I've been holding off on until we get actual multiplayer.

Wars will be fought on two fronts: StarShips and infini-'roidminer. Need actual division between these, like smallarms being much more ineffective against metal blocks, and players being weaker against ship cannons even with armor. NO mining from a ship. Players must be exposed to collect resources, otherwise you'd end up with an invulnerable deathcube of a ship sucking up all the 'roids. More connections between the ship and the 'roids are needed: supplies. Fuel and mass driver ammo, lest deathcubes be indefinitely self-sufficient. This would force more competition between teams for 'roid control and encourage expansion beyond building a single deathcube or overkill-fortifications on a single 'roid and staying there indefinitely. Ships would effectively exist to ferry resources/players/supplies from an old mining operation to a new one, and serve as a platform to raid/seige enemy controlled 'roids.

As for infiniroidminer: Raiding and defending should be fun.
Small autoturrets, IFF, detection systems with player and team alerts, Team-only beacons, traps, smaller player inventories with less-portable processing/crafting combined with armored bunkers/bases to stash supplies with automated machines to process raw minerals, environmental hazards... etc. This should lead to centralized "vaults" to be defended and raided, with enough action elsewhere in a 'roid.  Different asteroids types with different mineral distributions too, to encourage expansion and the transport of resources.

As for starships:
Docking/locking blocks to "snap" and "separate" bodies. IE two ships maneuver side by side, rotate close enough (need a good pilot and design) with slight auto-twisting of the body to fudge it once you're close enough. They could also be used to separate bodies, like a ship from a dockyard or a fighter from a mothership, or maybe a really complex multi-stage ship. Need automated shipyards for automated building and repairs, such that players can focus on the parts of the game with potential for action. Give it a saved ship template (would have to be player-built at least once, first) then dump in resources and watch it go or dock a ship with holes and watch it patch up. The actual block(s) that do this should be MASSIVE, both mass and volume, such that the only portable auto-repairs are on stations and genuine motherships. Need moving hydraulics that can be toggled with controls, that actually moves attached blocks. Probably similar internal logic to the docking/locking blocks, where it keeps track of sub-bodies within the parent body. This way you could have anything from complex doors, to firing ports, to... really cool transformers? Lots of things you could do. Heh, retracting engines and anti-cap cannons. Sweet. Like engines with force rating, the more mass it's moving then the slower it is given it's limited strength... ability to combine/stack them like with engines as well?

Ship weapons I figure should be based around the nature of the ships: bulky, slow, and awkward to maneuver. I figure:
-Fast moving, short ranged, weak CIWS pulse lasers good for shooting down torpedoes, sappers, and sandpapering a hull.
-Big, expensive, slower, medium ranged ship-killing mass drivers.
-Long ranged ship-killing Torpedoes-with-a-capital-T that prompt evasive maneuvers, combined with weaker spam-missiles to pacify CIWS.
-Ramming damage. Oh hell yes. Denser materials crumple stuff like aluminum and titanium, and an aluminum cruiser is vulnerable to a small iron ship with a crazy pilot. Good way to deposit a boarding party.
-MINES. Small, fast ship just outside of CIWS range dumps mines in the path of a moving cruiser. Or surround the entrance to your base with IFF capable mines.
-Ion weapons? Some kind of electronic warfare?

For both:
IFF for blocks. Team A places blocks, then Team A can drill them up easy. Team B takes longer to drill the same blocks.

I've got a lot of ideas for a game like this. Again, I would pay the dev 50$ to just open source it or ignore spin-offs and let people take off with this game platform.

edit:
Almost forgot, regarding existing game content: Centralized vs Decentralized power. As it is, wires being weak to damage and actually draining energy combined with larger power sources not being significantly more efficient than smaller ones makes me conclude there is no point to centralized power. A cruiser isn't as fun to shoot at when you can't disable it with a shot clean through the reactor. Wires need to be a little tougher than they are with no power drain, with optional power armor in critical spots at the cost of power drain, and the increased efficiency/output of larger/bulky power sources need to be enough such that it's important when thinking about how to power a bank of CIWS pulse lasers.

edit again: derp, almost forgot. REALLY need visible block damage.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:11:37 pm by Zyxl »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 19, 2012, 07:00:13 pm »

Up to the open source thing, where my opinion is undecided, I agree about 100% with everything you just posted. :D

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 19, 2012, 07:26:26 pm »

Up to the open source thing, where my opinion is undecided, I agree about 100% with everything you just posted. :D
Here's my reasoning on open source:
I don't want another Notch to ruin my Infiniminer successor with lazy updates and unfinished content while the modders make all the real content and finish the game within the limitations of not having access to source (or a real modding API) because he's monetized the damned thing. I'm not going to watch that happen twice. If something needs to be in the game, or needs to be fixed, I'd rather someone is actually able to do it.

I've already said this, but Indie devs are a crapshoot. Unless I know we'll get another Tarn Adams, I'm going to assume worst case scenario because I REALLY REALLY want this game.

Case in point: Cataclysm. Whales is a bit burnt out on it and hasn't been doing much anymore, so for now numerous fans including from this community have been updating the game in wondrous ways with full source access. Some crazy awesome stuff was made that couldn't have been made without access to source.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 20, 2012, 01:17:00 pm »

Starting work on a titanium... uhh... frigate? The thing bigger than a corvette? It's got a double bridge and already it's bigger than one of my fighters. I plan for it to be roughly twice the size of a STARBOUND.

I imagine it will be awesome but impractical.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 22, 2012, 01:02:55 pm »

Website update!

Looks like he's really going for MP first... this is... an interesting choice. Personally I'd rather him balance things a bit, but...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 22, 2012, 01:08:46 pm »

Sounds like he knows what'll keep attention.  And that's bashing either other with giant titanium phallus ships.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 22, 2012, 01:34:58 pm »

*fighter blows up yet another ponium space station*

"HOUSE RULES DUDE! NO AP CANNONS!!!"

"TROLOLOLOL"

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 22, 2012, 02:12:35 pm »

*fighter blows up yet another ponium space station*

"HOUSE RULES DUDE! NO AP CANNONS!!!"

"TROLOLOLOL"

XD

And is it just me but whenever I see ponium i think

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 22, 2012, 04:27:18 pm »

Someone needs to make a Ponium Pony now...
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62