Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108638 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #510 on: November 06, 2012, 05:19:05 pm »

until you get resources for ion engines, aluminium is great, because it is very light.

my advice is: upgrade drill as much as you can. head toward bigger asteroids to be able to get more advanced minerals from their core

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 06, 2012, 05:19:18 pm »

Aluminum is light and paper-thin, good for civilian ships and scaffolding.
Iron is cheap, mainly, it's the low-end of armor grade and it's plentiful.
Titanium is also plentiful, but a bit less than iron.  It will become "common" armor in multiplayer for sure.
Thulium-Iron is pretty good, the weight of Iron with more durability than Titanium, it's also fairly cheap since you can upgrade your existing Iron, and Thulium is pretty common.
Pomium makes good armor, but in my experience is too rare.  It's better used on components or personnel armor.
Redium-Titanium is the best, but it suffers the same drawback that it's rare and Redium could be used for components.  It's also ugly.

Natural blocks like dirt and ice are theoretically usable, but crumble easily and will spawn mobs, for better or for worse.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 06, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »

I wonder if one could use natural blocks to spawn monsters to throw at enemies.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 06, 2012, 05:22:16 pm »

Edit: Ninjaed

Hmm... Natural block minefield attack!

We need a way to launch a shotgun of natural rock at the enemy, hopefully spawning dudes to attack them.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 06, 2012, 05:25:59 pm »

Edit: Ninjaed

Hmm... Natural block minefield attack!

We need a way to launch a shotgun of natural rock at the enemy, hopefully spawning dudes to attack them.

Wouldn't spawn dudes fast enough, though that could become another missile type, just rocks with a thruster attached. You shoot it at there ship, it becomes a part, and then the mobs harass repair crews.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 06, 2012, 05:27:07 pm »

My main issue so far is finding Titanium and anything else. I have an abundance of all the basic stuff. Perhaps I will make a simple ship and just go real far out to see what I can find.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 06, 2012, 05:28:56 pm »

My main issue so far is finding Titanium and anything else. I have an abundance of all the basic stuff. Perhaps I will make a simple ship and just go real far out to see what I can find.

Most 'roids over 10K will have titanium, thats where you will find it. 15K will have polonium, and 20K will have redium

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 06, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »

Go for the big asteroids, they're far more likely to contain useful items.

Also, anyone else thinking about tackle ships?  As it stands, you can ram a ship into another and park, and neither would move due to physics.  Drone swarms may be most useful as road blocks to throw in front of the enemy to lock their ship in place for cannon fire.

When collision impacts become a real thing, then needle ships with powerful engines may be used to ram into the enemy hull and set thrusters to full, veering the enemy ship off course and making the enemy far less maneuverable.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 06, 2012, 05:33:38 pm »

look at the sky, pick the biggest rock you can see, fly there. if you think you will have to travel much, you can build a very simple space surfboard or similar.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 06, 2012, 05:36:25 pm »

but space surfboards are fun too :P. and cheap.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 06, 2012, 05:37:44 pm »

Yeah, girlinhat, limpets are really something I want to see work.

Hopefully we get a way to make objects "sticky", because I can only see it being awesome.

However, we could at least launch missiles with a guy inside that manually connects the last block, right? :P

We also need to consider the value of capturing enemy ships intact, and thus come up with a multitude of ways to defeat them without destroying them. Extra ships that are already built is quickest construction method by far. A "sticky mine" field would be awesome.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 06, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »

Korbac Shipyards presents... The definitive one - man fighter... The wasp!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A. Smaller, yet less - enclosed chassis increases speed and pilot protection! Global titanium armour deflects any 'lucky shots'.

B. Four Powerful Hydrogen Thrusters on each corner, connected individually to power supplies. Reach 20 units in less than 10 seconds!

C. Four corner cannons, all pilot - operated. Lay down a crossfire of beams that no enemy can withstand!

D. The Heavy - Assault cannon completes the deadly armament of the Wasp.

Tired of the Gnat? Sick of your lack of firepower? Upgrade to the Wasp class today. The only people who will regret it are your enemies!

Bob's Notes : Whoah, whoah. Look at this little thing. The body's smaller than the Gnat, and yet it packs like 3 times as much firepower? Hold the phone here. This ship is a good bit pricier, but it delivers an incredible amount of firepower for a one - man deal. It's no slouch either. The light titanium still isn't going to protect you against direct hits from capital ships, but in fighter - to - fighter combat it's a godsend. If you're a bounty hunter with some cash in the bank, grab this ASAP. If you're a trader, look out for these, because these will piss you off.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 06, 2012, 05:43:36 pm »

The issue is that ships don't connect at all.  If you have two objects very close to each other and try to place a block, it'll be on one or the other.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 06, 2012, 05:47:34 pm »

Are you using mods?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:49 pm »

The issue is that ships don't connect at all.  If you have two objects very close to each other and try to place a block, it'll be on one or the other.

Yeah, blugh. I just hope it's something that changes, even if we have to make the connections manually.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62