Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108666 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #450 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:00 am »

I have updated the Iron Monger with a refit to version 2.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did this mainly to remove the giant hole in the mining arrays fire.  Also to stop accidently cutting into the old command center and losing the wires.

Also I guess the game doesn't want to show that many AP guns, trust me they're there.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 06, 2012, 12:52:39 am »

On a scale of brick to planet, how does the Iron Monger handle?
Also wow, it weighs in at nearly 1500 tons. Makes my 300 ton bricks-in-space look inadequate.
Say, think you can figure out a way to make a battle version of the Iron Monger? With actual guns, not just rock strippers?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 06, 2012, 12:56:23 am »

The thing gets to 10 units/s in about 5 seconds, I don't wan't to take it faster than that because I've traveled over 3K in the time it took me to slow down.  Turning is fast, rolling is slow.  So brick with several rocket boosters on the end, and not much else.

Also the original plan was to use heavy assaults (same RoF as AP but more damage) but when I did a mock up of the first layer with the command center it took more power than a large nuclear gen makes.  The thing is weaponizable, but in it's AP armed form can cause some harsh damage very quickly (large cone of fire, and you ain't dodging that wall of blue).

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 06, 2012, 01:46:28 am »

That's not unusual.  The trick to learning ship design, is to realize that the only symmetry that matters is the one of mass.  Equally massive blocks on either side of the center of mass will offset each other.  The exact position doesn't matter, only that they're the same direction away from the center of mass.

Are you sure about that? Don't the lever principle apply?
It might work like that in the game, but surely not in the real world.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 06, 2012, 06:34:53 am »

after turning a 30kton asteroid into a mess of tunnels, I finally built a proper ship.
it is unimpressive so far, but it is designed with expansion and upgrading in mind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

from left to right:

Engine chamber, holding 3 standard ion engines ( can be easily modified to hold 6). unseen is the heavy thulium covered iron plating around the engines, which should help protecting them from damage.

Main corridor

Rotational arms. they are the ones who steer the ship. despite using only powerful hydrogen, they are surprising effective. I love levers! I need to add 2 more arms to allow up and down rotation, and I should also probably make the arms longer because this ship is getting massive.
also, I will have to finish plating them... exposed engines and power units is no fun.

Control room , holding all 3 crafting blocks, 4 small chests and 2 parallel consoles ( mostly so I can link them to 2 different cameras in case one gets shot). this will be upgraded to large consoles to control the extra arms.

Gun tunnel. this houses the guns in such a way that they are harder to shoot at. obviously they are fixed guns. it can house 12 small guns.
on the side, you can see the camera case. reduces field of view, but keeps camera semi-safe.

while it is made of medium alluminium, I will coat it entirely in titanium, of different strength depending on need. but that will wait until I land on the next asteroid.

weight so far is 360 ton, which will greatly icrease with next update :P

while it is not a combat ship, nor it is meant to be, the arm thrusters give it surprising agility. which will be even greater when I replace hydrogen thrusters with ion ones.

edit: world didn't save... lost almost everything... everything!

reedit: in fact, it continues to refuse saving. or, rather. it saves map and hotbar, but I lose inventory and position every time I load the map.
which means, this world is now useless...  :'(
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:05:09 am by andrea »

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 06, 2012, 08:27:56 am »

I love the idea of lever engines.
It's so crazy it just might work!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 06, 2012, 08:37:23 am »

reedit: in fact, it continues to refuse saving. or, rather. it saves map and hotbar, but I lose inventory and position every time I load the map.
which means, this world is now useless...  :'(
Did you update?
I didn't find the correct way to update so i removed corneroids from appdata which made it work with a new game.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 06, 2012, 08:53:58 am »

yes, I had updated. on a new world, everything works fine. maybe it is a problem only with old worlds.

@ank: and it works! at least I think it does.  doesn't look too bad however.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 06, 2012, 10:49:37 am »

Lever engines actually work very well.  The further away from your center of mass an engine is, the more powerful it will be.  For rotations, at least.  For drive and roll, it's all about power, but for rotation it can be levered for distance.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 06, 2012, 10:53:40 am »

the only problem is that engines also tend to be rather heavy, and having mass far away from the axis is not that good when it comes to rotation.

considering the blockiness of the game, doing proper math should be rather easy... I'll try it this weekend.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:49 am »

How does that matter on rotation?  Rotation would be greatly aided by the lever mechanism of having the engines further away.  Roll would even be more effective, now that I think about it.  Drive is the only thing that doesn't care about position, only raw thrust.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 06, 2012, 11:15:22 am »

So, a super quick turning ship would want 4 engines, right?

u           ^^^^^^           u
|===========[SHIP]===========|
n           nnnnnn           n

With the red engines linked to one control and the greens to another for turning on a dime at super rapid speeds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 06, 2012, 11:18:09 am »

You'd need a pair of engines for every type of rotation you want.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2012, 11:25:37 am »

There are only 2 axis and and two directions per axis. That's a max of eight engines, whether you do a roll-based or free turn based design.

(free turn would require an additional two arms but be significantly easier to handle, I imagine. Roll-based could strap the engines to the current arms.)

And you don't need pairs if you are happy with a wider turn radius, obviously.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:32:55 am by GlyphGryph »

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 06, 2012, 11:32:29 am »

Without pairs you dont only get a slower turn radius but i think the axis changes and its no longer on the middle.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62