Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108637 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #375 on: November 04, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »

I guess 511 (mass as of time of posting) is just a little heavy then?

Weight is just a number. Slap enough engines on it and it'll move as fast as you want.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 04, 2012, 10:50:18 pm »

Weight is just a number. Slap enough engines on it and it'll move as fast as you want.

Kerbal Space Program said that! And I think he knows a little more about space travel than you do, buddies. Because he invented it! And he perfected it until no living man could best him in crashing into things!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 05, 2012, 12:20:44 am »

So I got into KSP way back in the way back when, like a few months before it went paid.  I remember when I announced a Bay12 challenge, and someone responded, paraphrased, "Oh great, Bay12 is here now.  What's the challenge, to make a digging machine?  Of course I think some of my failed rockets would count as digging..."

Something tells me that Corneroids multiplayer is gonna get real epic real fast.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 05, 2012, 12:25:34 am »

So I got into KSP way back in the way back when, like a few months before it went paid.  I remember when I announced a Bay12 challenge, and someone responded, paraphrased, "Oh great, Bay12 is here now.  What's the challenge, to make a digging machine?  Of course I think some of my failed rockets would count as digging..."

Something tells me that Corneroids multiplayer is gonna get real epic real fast.

What makes you think multiplayer is going to get really epic really fast? Will there be more people thinking "Oh great, Bay12 is here" or something?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 05, 2012, 12:28:53 am »

No, that was unrelated really.  Except that this game, particularly this spot, has all the needed ingredients.  We have people, we have servers, we have physics engines and really big guns, and we have the dwarven mindset to topple all other engines and guns with something bigger.  The "arms race" will be the "engineering race" as we try to make do with less resources and make more fierce ships using less.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 05, 2012, 12:32:07 am »

I have finished the first Iron Monger class asteroid miner (rock stripper)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Comes in at 1250 tons, main structure made from light aluminum and a skin of heavy iron.
I'll be changing the command center a little by adding a second cannon control for the array, the current one controls the rear anti personnel defenses.
The combined cargo and engineering section produces a whopping 63 spare power.
If someone wants to count the cannons I'm to tired to do that right now.
Last but not least, the main engine section/docking area.  The center of the docking area houses a quad anti-personnel cannon array with a camera.  Mainly used to keep tabs on the rear (this thing is a bitch to reverse).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 05, 2012, 12:34:52 am »

What're those box looking things?  Chests?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 05, 2012, 12:37:13 am »

Ah, I see.

Well then, BRING IT ON!

I will host a server and help organize defensive forces. This includes turrets and ships, as well as base placement. Girlinhat, I personally nominate you to be our main strategist and, in addition by not primarily, our figurehead to rally behind.

I think that a communist system would be best. What you mine is yours, what you build is yours. The construction facilities are free to use so long as you aren't wasting anyone's time, and everything will be highly decentralized. We will have an elected government that will act as an organizational force, primarily for the military.

NINJA EDIT: Weapons and armor on a mining ship I think are irrelevant. Just adds extra cost and weight. I think that our ships should be designed to be role-specific.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 05, 2012, 12:41:16 am »

Much like other B12 servers, I think all resources will be pooled.  It will quickly become an effort to amass as much ore as possible, craft singular drills as high as possible until we can produce multiple drills.  Start from one mothership design and branch out into personalized strike craft and support ships, like strip miners and patrol gunships, with all resource being funneled into and built from communal stocks.  This is truly the Dwarven Way, to dump everything in a pile and then distribute it according to who's got the most goblins chasing them.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 05, 2012, 12:41:54 am »

What're those box looking things?  Chests?
Large ones yes.  Store 9 things and each weigh in at 40 mass each.

@ Sting:  The weapons ARE the mining lasers, at least until we have actual mining equipment.  The armor is because it's space, if you aren't planning for some kind of failure you are planning to fail.
Failures include:  Micro meteoroids, space squid, pirates, space whales, space squid pirates, and not looking cool.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:29 am »

Huh... I don't have chests...  40 weight you say?  At 2x2 that's a density of 5 per tile, making them one of the heaviest blocks available.  Are they cheap?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 05, 2012, 12:49:03 am »

They take 4 small chests to make, and a small chest takes 6 light iron and 3 chassis to make and the small chest weighs in at 10 a pop (while holding 1 thing).

Or you can make a crate of holding at the small cost of 1 small chest and a standard anti-matter power block.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:24 am »

If the small chest is 1x1 then that's massively heavy!  Jeeze, that's...  That actually has a lot of potential use, actually.  See, the thing that worries me most about fighting ships is when you take damage, then it'll change your center of mass, which will change your thrust and send your engines into disarray.  But if these chests have a density of 10 then they outweigh pretty much everything.  If you core your ship with chests, then it makes the center very heavy and the armor is relatively lightweight.  This way when you take damage and you shed armor, you lose some weight but the heavy core would keep you stabilized and your center of mass wouldn't change as much, keeping your engines running at the same rate and lessening any steering drift.

A hollow ship would start swerving, but a cored ship would stay straight.  The disadvantage is that it's very heavy, giving you a massive sensor signature (pretend to be an asteroid, anyone?) and forcing you to use bigger engines to push the weight.  You would lose mobility, but you'd have consistently stable mobility, and to make things smoother you'd also have a lot of storage space!

Veld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 05, 2012, 02:19:20 am »

They take 4 small chests to make, and a small chest takes 6 light iron and 3 chassis to make and the small chest weighs in at 10 a pop (while holding 1 thing).

Or you can make a crate of holding at the small cost of 1 small chest and a standard anti-matter power block.

If the small chest is 1x1 then that's massively heavy!

It may be worth noting that without any mods, the 1x1x1 chests (Which are the only chests in the vanilla game) weigh only 1 unit, and store 20 items.

Which makes me wonder,  how will multiplayer mode handle mods? It would be a bit less exciting if multiplayer mode was vanilla only.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 05, 2012, 03:11:48 am »

I'm still wondering how we'll have "bases". Pretty much all command centers will have to be player built, I feel - when an asteroid runs out of mine-able  ore there's not much point to keeping it.

Also, 500 Tons is heavy? At the moment, yes. If we get auto - build and / or player collab ship building, I can easily see 1,000 ton+ ships. 500 Tons atm though with the given tools is pretty damn heavy. :P
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62