Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108562 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #270 on: November 03, 2012, 01:57:56 am »

I imagine that eventually mass control will exist, once the UI for it makes sense.  Being able to split and join items is going to be an important part of gameplay, and when it does manage to get added then you'll start to see things like deploying fighters and severing the engines from the rest of the ship and then stealing the engines because those things are expensive.

Engine play is going to be very vital for ship function.  That's going to be the main shot of any engagement, I believe.  If you don't have the firepower to just smite the enemy, then you'll have to deal with their engines.  Destroying the engines or severing power is going to prove critical to large ship engagements, particularly things like roll thrusters.  If the enemy can't roll, then you suddenly have a lot of power over them.

Power is also going to be an issue, as I think explosive reactors will happen relatively quickly.  There will be killshots on taking out enemy reactors, and the capacity of suicide attacks by strapping a reactor under some armor and driving down into someone.  This make also allow some ramming, if you create an "explosive spear" by putting a reactor on the end of a rod, then you can ram the enemy, blow the reactor, lose your spear and lose their hull.  Even still, cable redundancy and backup power is going to be something of importance for any warship that wants to slut it out over any length of time.

If you haven't seen it already:
http://archive.foolz.us/vg/thread/17279105/

Scroll through, find the pictures and some of the picture posts, big posts, and the ones nearby them.  A lot of interesting info there.  However, it appears tat if /vg/ is our rival, then we have a leg up.  We've been planning hardened ships while they're just throwing guns onto a hull.

Also note: The one mod maker has a version with megaguns.  With the quote, paraphrased, "Damage caps at 255, so instead I increased ROF."  Chances are the users of that mod won't know how to handle a vanilla game with such "underpowered" lasers.  If Bay12-/vg/ war ever breaks out, I think we'll have a bit of an upper hand.  We'll see when multiplayer arrives though.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2012, 02:00:24 am »

/vg/ can bring it on.  :D Give me three players and I can run a guerilla war on their mining asteroids. They won't stand a chance.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 03, 2012, 09:25:38 am »

If the generators become explosive, this allows for even more op missiles. It probably costs 2 - 10% of what your ship does, and with only a few of them can ruin your day.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 03, 2012, 09:28:34 am »

Yeah, load a missle shaped ship up with a bunch of nuclear reactors.
Can someone test this:
Can you control a ship with a console on a different ship?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 03, 2012, 09:33:47 am »

Yeah, load a missle shaped ship up with a bunch of nuclear reactors.
Can someone test this:
Can you control a ship with a console on a different ship?

I'll try to test this now. :)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 03, 2012, 09:45:30 am »

Nope, doesn't seem like it. :(

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 03, 2012, 09:50:39 am »

Aww man.
Thanks for testing, at least.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 03, 2012, 10:02:30 am »

If it doesn't wrok, grab the installer (Or Chef Anon's most recent Repack)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 03, 2012, 10:12:25 am »

Good advice from Aklyon. :)

Has anyone found an easier way to mine stuff? I'm still using my power drill. Do things speed up significantly when you've got the better drills?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:08 am »

Yes, better drills do mine faster, and mine tougher materials as well.  Your gun is also a good way of clearing out dirt.

So!  It would appear that unmanned drones cannot be.  Probably.  Is it possible to get close enough to use a console without getting a foot-lock?  That's the only real way I can imagine it working.  Maybe if you're pressed against the mothership the closer foot-lock will take priority so you won't foot on the drone.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 03, 2012, 10:31:33 am »

You mine with a drill man :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 03, 2012, 10:33:11 am »

How do mine?
1. Check inventory.
2. Drill> Hotbar
3. Drill in Hotbar>Hand
4. Drill in Hand> Attack Rock

How to upgrade drill:
Drill> Inventory
Required materials> Inventory
One of the crafting blocks> Clicked on.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 03, 2012, 11:03:06 am »

I guess until he finds a better way to do it every one has an unlimited source of basic drills, crafting blocks and furnaces somewhere in their pack.

Hmm, now I want to make a ship out of crafting tables.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:13:32 am by Shooer »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 03, 2012, 11:23:57 am »

Yes, better drills do mine faster, and mine tougher materials as well.  Your gun is also a good way of clearing out dirt.

So!  It would appear that unmanned drones cannot be.  Probably.  Is it possible to get close enough to use a console without getting a foot-lock?  That's the only real way I can imagine it working.  Maybe if you're pressed against the mothership the closer foot-lock will take priority so you won't foot on the drone.

COBALT SMG A GO GO

I imagine there will be a "drone" control panel in the future, which is slightly more expensive than the standard issue but can attach to anything within a certain range (10km, for example.) Also, there should be detachable parts, if only for realistic damage simulation. This should mean missile and fighter launching ships are possible. :)

Wondering : If you possess a lot of resources, is it simply more worthwhile to stick a ton of engines and guns onto a small asteroid and pilot that?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 03, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

The benefit of an asteroid ship is that its cheap instant hull.  It's not durable, but there's just so much asteroid that it'll soak damage.  If you bury an actual warship under it, then you've effectively made cheap armor.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62