Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108538 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2012, 09:02:05 pm »

Just get the developer to read this thread.

The main reason Tank Destroyers had the shield in the front was for their size, and for their intended ability to absorb shots.  A fighter is meant to evade shots, and doesn't have the same drive system.  A large shield would go to slow the whole thing down, and being a fighter in space it's not always going to face the enemy, but sometimes have its side and rear facing the enemy.  This forces you to provide light armor all around to keep up speed and durability - Tank Destroyers were prone to getting flanked and blasted, after all.

However, it would be workable to make a Tank Destroyer Fighter Ship - you armor up the front and provide good maneuvering engines and poor drive engines, so you're left with a ship that can face the enemy and keep its forward shield in use.  In fact, this is how I'd build my own ship.  Everyone says that space ships must be omni-directional.  Really they need to be one-direction.  They need to face Down.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2012, 09:25:08 pm »

Or you could leave the ship open, and place a shield and gun to one side - most decent fighters will always have that side facing the enemy, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2012, 09:35:19 pm »

Not if they're swooping in for attack runs.  A two-man ship or a carefully piloted single-man craft could fly circles while keeping a turret trained on the enemy, but for the most part fighters are made to use their entire frame to line up shots.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2012, 09:57:05 pm »

I've started work on what I hope is going to be a massive station.  Finished the first docking arm, but I am probably going to make it longer. 
The arms will have two blast doors and allow people to board.  The main halls and areas will be 4 high (some much more than that), the back corridors and maint tunnels will be 2 high and the station will have a circular shape.

The whole thing will have a light aluminum structure with a double layer heavy iron armor skin.  Planned sections are docking, cargo, manufactoring, hydroponics, residential, engineering, command, security central and at least two secondary security centers.
The externals will have at least two heavy titanium blisters that will house the cannons, at least 4 controls (probably 5) per blister, each grouped with 3 cannons.  Each cannon group will have it's own power source.  Secondary lighter cannons will be placed along the hull and controlled from the security centers.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2012, 10:44:56 pm »

Who says that light fighters need to be enclosed?

Make something with 1 big engine for forward thrust, and 2 small hydrogen engines for reverse thrust/turning. No need to enclose the pilot if the idea is to avoid, not absorb.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2012, 11:30:05 pm »

Can anyone tell me if thee are any downloads apart from the DarthNox thing?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2012, 11:39:38 pm »

I was avoiding this thread because I figured development was dead, but after seeing so many pages I checked it out and the dev recently came to life. Wooo

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2012, 12:15:27 am »

As I understand it, development wasn't dead, it just wasn't public.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »

Ohman, keita showed me this game, it is soooo muuuuch fuuuun~~~~
I cannot wait for the multiplayerness~~

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2012, 06:19:44 pm »

I'm hoping detection gets a rework, so that you use certain equipment to see the body markers better, and larger objects show up at a further range. With cloaking and other modifiers in there too.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2012, 03:10:42 am »

If bay12 makes a clan when this goes multiplayer, I volunteer my services as weapons operator and redoubt builder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2012, 09:29:36 am »

I'm hoping we get some amount of automated construction and ship-based mining.  When multiplayer gets in, ships are gonna get smashed a lot, so recovering resources is gonna have to be large-scale, and reconstruction take a long time as well.  Either way we're gonna have to have some amount of template ships, make the outline of the hull in aluminum so that a grunt worker can reproduce it in titanium.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2012, 06:13:21 pm »

Okay I've been playing a bit, but apparently I can't make the triple iron drill? I have 3 powerful iron drills and over 40 titanuim ingots in my backpack but I don't see the option to make the next drill...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 01, 2012, 06:15:36 pm »

Okay I've been playing a bit, but apparently I can't make the triple iron drill? I have 3 powerful iron drills and over 40 titanuim ingots in my backpack but I don't see the option to make the next drill...

Do you have the Darthnoxi tileset? Or whatever it's called. You need it for the better stuff in the game.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 01, 2012, 06:17:14 pm »

Wait, so I'll have to start a new game to advance? Damn
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 62