Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108513 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2012, 04:09:57 pm »

Any B12 clan will always have miners, rest assured.  That's not a job, that's just part of your expected duty.  Good gunners and boarding crew will always be nice, however.

Speaking of, I've been debating making a ship attached to another ship, which can unlock and fly away.  This may provide for some potentially very neat deployable fighters or marine pods.  The only problem is that it couldn't attach to an enemy ship, so it'd need to be bailed out of, unless the enemy has a gaping hole to lodge yourself in.

Graknorke makes an excellent point though.  In-battle repairs may prove the difference.  You may also end up popping out of airlocks and firing hand lasers at the enemy.  Just sayin'.  But builders, gun-operators, and general fighters will be important for sure.  More than likely, the game is going to split into individual ships as their own "guild" and then ship alliances being made as political warfare.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »

Any B12 clan will always have miners, rest assured.  That's not a job, that's just part of your expected duty.  Good gunners and boarding crew will always be nice, however.

Speaking of, I've been debating making a ship attached to another ship, which can unlock and fly away.  This may provide for some potentially very neat deployable fighters or marine pods.  The only problem is that it couldn't attach to an enemy ship, so it'd need to be bailed out of, unless the enemy has a gaping hole to lodge yourself in.

Graknorke makes an excellent point though.  In-battle repairs may prove the difference.  You may also end up popping out of airlocks and firing hand lasers at the enemy.  Just sayin'.  But builders, gun-operators, and general fighters will be important for sure.  More than likely, the game is going to split into individual ships as their own "guild" and then ship alliances being made as political warfare.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:41 pm »

Epic double post.

I know what we can call the clan:

Repair Bay 12,  :P
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2012, 04:28:39 pm »

I'm definitely going to pick this up as soon as I get windows access again (after Christmas).

Girlinhat, as far as the boarding craft goes... punching a hole through the hull to board seems like an effective strategy to me. How do collisions work? Could you basically just try to spear the ship, like slugs...

Forget where that analogy was going, it's not important. The point I'm trying to make is, are "pilotable penetrator craft" a possibility?

And if so can we fill them with something explosive and a single pilot?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2012, 04:34:03 pm »

I'm definitely going to pick this up as soon as I get windows access again (after Christmas).

Girlinhat, as far as the boarding craft goes... punching a hole through the hull to board seems like an effective strategy to me. How do collisions work? Could you basically just try to spear the ship, like slugs...

Forget where that analogy was going, it's not important. The point I'm trying to make is, are "pilotable penetrator craft" a possibility?

And if so can we fill them with something explosive and a single pilot?

Physics damage isn't implemented in this game yet, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't added in at a later date. A 2x2 heavy iron slug travelling at max speed should do quite a bit of damage.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »

As of now, things just bounce off when they collide.
That being said, if that ever changes, we could put ponium plows on our ships.

We could mount some cannons in a like, 2x2 square on the front of a ship and blow a hole in the side of a ship.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2012, 04:41:33 pm »

And I suppose you wouldn't need the entire ship to penetrate - just enough space for people to move through.

So

,------  >
|       \__>____
|        ________D >
|       /  >
`------  >

Might work? Doors at the end of a long hallway behind the front cannon, and a 3d square surrounding it widening the hole, perhaps angled to converge on a single point a ways in front of the ship?

Meanwhile anything else needed goes in the larger area in back.

It's the Mosquito!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2012, 04:51:27 pm »

Yeah, currently physics don't collide in any destructive way.  When they start to though, then expect to see ramming craft.  Not pomium though.  That's expensive weapons-grade materials, heavy rock material.  On the other hand, Thulium-coated iron is cheaper medium rock material and comparable strength to Pomium, with very low weight.  Weapon-blasting a hole will become an art form though, it'll take some skill to find a weak spot and get in to a point where you can blast it, and then fly into it.  Much more likely, boarding small ships will be done via bailout, where the dropship moves closer and the player gets foot on the enemy vessel.  For larger ships you could expect to see anti-personnel lasers mounted on the outside of the hull, forcing the boarding crew to use their boarding craft as protection against the lasers as they cut the hull.

Also once ramming becomes functional, expect to see some crazy ship designs.  I personally love the idea and I'm just the sort of pilot who could pull it off.  I also look forward to the possibility of grapple ships, which would literally grab their opponent.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »

And I suppose you wouldn't need the entire ship to penetrate - just enough space for people to move through.

So
-phallic imagery-
It's the Mosquito!
I'd prefer we likened it to a virus. A virus is way cooler than an irritating buzzy nuisance, mosquitos just land, quickly take their fill and leave. Viruses inject their contents and then blow the host up from the inside.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2012, 04:57:57 pm »

So
-phallic imagery-
It's the Mosquito!
I'd prefer we likened it to a virus. A virus is way cooler than an irritating buzzy nuisance, mosquitos just land, quickly take their fill and leave. Viruses inject their contents and then blow the host up from the inside.

Okay, the S.S. HIV

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2012, 05:03:38 pm »

Automated defenses are a must, and I'm sure they will become possible in the future.

I think that turning an asteroid into a turret platform/processing station would be better than constructing a station from scratch. Position a factory in the center of the asteroid and surround the vital parts with armor, then attach defensive weaponry to the outside of the asteroid while you're mining it. Expand the constructed area as needed until you've converted the asteroid into an iron beast of a defensive platform.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »

So
-phallic imagery-
It's the Mosquito!

Okay, the S.S. HIV
The S.S. HIV has to be the one we send during trading meetings with other ships. They're trading and then suddenly BAM! Boarded by HIV. Also I suggest HMS HIV for alliteration.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »

The S.U.P Rise shall be our fast-action ship.

Also, here's hoping you can paint words over the side of your ship.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2012, 06:03:27 pm »

The S.U.P Rise shall be our fast-action ship.

Also, here's hoping you can paint words over the side of your ship.
You kind of could at the moment with a big enough ship and a mixture of iron and aluminium.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2012, 06:09:40 pm »

Well yes, but that's lame typing.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62