Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108552 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #615 on: November 09, 2012, 03:04:46 pm »

Go back a few pages and turret comes up on almost each of them at least once.  Go back to the OP and the images taken from the site are of a ship that has several weapons at various angles.  Plenty of information that guns aren't set to a fixed angle with out having to play the game.

His response wasn't to you but to someone bringing up asteroids as bases (again).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 09, 2012, 03:15:39 pm »

Yes, he was wrong. One can even argue he was stupidly wrong and probably hasn't read (most) of the thread, and hate on him for that if you want. But he apologized and said so.

He didn't say ANYTHING about what you attacked him for. He didn't say the game was bad. He didn't say issues needed to be fixed. All he said was "the guns are fixed so we need to find a way to rotate the asteroid". He was wrong about the guns being fixed, but the hostility was pretty uncalled for, all things considered.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 09, 2012, 03:18:34 pm »

Guys, lets not turn this thread into a flame war. He did not get something right, he apologized, and you guys are hating on him because he did not know about stuff. I couldn't figure out how to fire my cannons, and nobody hated on me. Why do you have to hate on him?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 09, 2012, 03:23:11 pm »

I think I finally finished the front of my ship.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it might seem quite a waste of thulium( at least 200 shards were sunk in that ring) and ponium for a decorative object.
but that decorative object is also conveniently placed on the command room, where the crew is likely to be ( when it isn't repairing engines), and coats it in a fair quantity of armor. so, I guess it is a fair use.
of course making it menacing with spikes of ponium WAS a waste. but I liked it :P
now to move on the rest of the ship! I love that decoration also acts as armor.

the sad part, however, is that this design is obsolete already. I have some new ideas about engines placement that I wat to try...
I guess I'll finish this, take a screen, then cannibalize it for thulium :P

also, what werty said. he made an honest mistake on a game mechanic and apologized.  that is no crime.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 09, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »

I think I know what's going on here, the whole no sarcasm tag existing.  The second part of my post wasn't an attack at him but a sarcastic call back to the first few pages that were about comparing this game to another.

Actually my entire post wasn't an attack at him.  I just linked the whole having no information to build an opinion on to that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »

Stop justifying shit.  Start building ships.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 09, 2012, 03:36:44 pm »

I demand MOAR pictures andrea!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 09, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »

Yup, engines are going to be a prime target in fights.  I see enclosed engines and/or high agility becoming valuable, to prevent the enemy from hitting your engines, and by contrast fighter craft will be good for circling around behind the enemy and slapping their engines.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 09, 2012, 03:49:34 pm »

Is it just me or in the possible future of MP combat, wouldn't all multi manned ships just stay far away from each other and fire away? Heaviest firepower wins(accuracy excluded).
Although it would probably be changed but as it is now you could just put your engines inside the ship.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 09, 2012, 04:01:20 pm »

if by inside you mean completely enclosed, that is ridiculous. however, some designs could allow engines in a more internal position.
in my current project, I have them at the end of a longish ponium tube, but it could be integrated in the hull...
I'll try working on a prototype later. might be a good use of some of my huge stockpile of titanium.

@ank
working on it, working on it... I think I just got an idea.
also, a picture of the ( yet unworked) middle. I worked a bit on the back of the "head". still no work on rear engine block nor on rotational thrusters.
( disregard that thing going from engine to arm. it is going to be replaced)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 09, 2012, 04:02:48 pm »

Indeed you would think so, but then you get into trickier issues.  You think at first "We'll just put our ship further away, and rely on range" so you move your ship back.  If you're in a fair fight with the enemy, then it's fine, but if you want an edge in battle you'd need to put most of your guns on one side, so that you can bring your full firepower to bear.  After all, your enemy can only be facing you from one direction.  So you have the advantage by putting your weapons to one side.  Then again if the enemy can flank you with multiple ships, then they can hit your exposed backside, or if the enemy is faster than you they can push in through your fire and slip behind you.  Or just push in and eject, hopping onto your ship and going close combat.

In a capital ship fight it'll be simple, two ships at long range slugging it out.  Beyond that, it comes down to agility more than anything else.  Anti-Frigate Cannons are the best, but because of their very slow bullet speed anything smaller than a frigate will evade them.  So you'd want to mount smaller guns that can hit people at range.  But then if the enemy has a very small ship with frigate-level armor on one side, they've got speed and armor.  At this point you'd want speed, so you can circle them and hit their unprotected backside.

This is going to get into some complex fights, especially once it's 3 ships fighting, then it gets crazy.  I don't think anyone fully understands how it will play out until multiplayer becomes an option.  Only then will the arms race show itself.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 09, 2012, 04:10:35 pm »

I present my newest ship: The Telitext class high speed transport
Built to be fast and quite nimble, controls are the most complicated I've done to date.  Say for example: to turn right you use the A and Z keys, to turn left you use the S and X keys.  To strafe left you use the Z and X keys while A and S will take you to the right.
Built purely out of aluminum and has only the one exterior layer so it is cheap and light.

And also a few size comparison shots

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 09, 2012, 04:24:19 pm »

seems fast, but could you give us some numbers? if I am not mistaken, that is light aluminium. which means that speed is crucial to the design.
also, are those small ion engines? which pack are you using? in the one I am using, they require redium shards. which would make this design quite expensive.

that said, quite an interesting thing! if the 2 rear engines are as powerful as they look, will be useful for speed deliveries.

edit: personally, I would add some decoration to make it look nicer. but I see how that would impair its funtion.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:27:01 pm by andrea »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 09, 2012, 04:39:16 pm »

Forward acceleration/deceleration is 2 Units/s/s, so 10 seconds to get to top speed.

After using the iron monger to clean out 4 roids I had plenty of redmium, ponium, and thul to make almost anything I want.  Though I need to move on to another if I want to make another ship with more ion engines.

The design could be made cheaper if we could hook it to some kind of rail.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 09, 2012, 04:53:52 pm »

hm. well, I suppose chests are just that heavy, and we have to deal either with high cost, lower volume moved or lower speed.

in other news, I almost finished my ship. I just need to encase the rotational thrusters, and maybe finish the gun array. but that will have to wait until I find more thulium. this ship ate an asteroid's worth of thulium. and now weights as much as an asteroid, 1200 tons. still missing half of its engines :P

since I plan to add several chests, weight will increase a lot. which meansI'll have to deploy all 9 engines, and switch the arm engines from hydrogen to ion.
I guess that if such a thing is ever deployed, it will be a status symbol more than anything else. a command center at best.

edit: added a third picture
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:57:44 pm by andrea »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62