Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108561 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #585 on: November 08, 2012, 05:45:45 pm »

Okay, so the idea so far:

An orb, with one driver and a gunner, made out of titanium. Powerful hydrogen thrusters in all directions except at the front, maybe two layers thick of armour. I'm thinking a battery of four heavy assault cannons on the front, which could be fired all at the same time. We will probably be able to use a basic nuke reactor to cover this.

Any thoughts? :)

I like it. But it need more guns. Maybe a anti corvette cannon, for more firepower

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 08, 2012, 05:47:21 pm »

Heavy assault is fine.  These are "stock ships" they're not full sized battleships.

"Hey Urist there's an issue over at Mining Asteroid C."
"Alright take one of the stocks and deal with it."

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 08, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »

Heavy assault is fine.  These are "stock ships" they're not full sized battleships.

"Hey Urist there's an issue over at Mining Asteroid C."
"Alright take one of the stocks and deal with it."

More heavy assault then. We need to be able to lay down a goo amount of firepower with these.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 08, 2012, 05:57:13 pm »

rather, I would add a few more light guns on the rear, just in case. either that, or make stronger plating there.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 08, 2012, 06:10:43 pm »

All this planning will help us defeat ALL COMERS

POINT OF CONTENTION NOTICED - ANALYSING DATA

SOLUTION PROPOSED

Orb with 4 heavy assault cannons arranged around the sides of the square so that only one can be destroyed at a time

Commander werty892 - cost prohibitive maneuver :/: design computer suggests a "B" model with two anti - corvette beams instead of the cannons for bigger anti - cap power

Commander andrea - micro between guns required if on rear :/: pilot difficulties. Stronger plating considered BUT assumed engines and dodge chance is better defence.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 08, 2012, 06:14:03 pm »

Couldn't we just have a single or maybe double light gun on the back controlled by a console. Similar to everyone's favourite aeroplane-with-guns-on-the-back.
Spoiler: The Lancaster Bomber (click to show/hide)
Funny thing is, I have seen that exact plane. Weird.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:47 pm »

The guns will be able to fire forwards and backwards. Unfortunately my design does have the flaw of not being able to fire to the sides (and no vision at the back.  :-[)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 08, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »

have you considered using a double console, so that pilot can, if needed, switch to a different view/commands? that could be useful if a camera is destroyed for example. 

I always have several consoles and cameras ( current design has 4), but I am building capital ships, so I am not sure how well it works for smaller designs.

edit
I started adding decoration to my ship. in this case, a medium iron-thulium ring ( or quarter of ring. other 3 sides yet to be done)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
please don't mind the half empty gun barrel. will be filled when I get more resources. and upgraded to light cannons at least.
a small note to make is that this ship eats a lot! of thulium. and I really mean a lot. probably I should have picked a different material for the arms.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:10:01 pm by andrea »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 08, 2012, 07:11:50 pm »

Holy shit that ship looks epic andrea. And it isn't even finished yet! :D

About the consoles (Check out the consoles! - Jason Griffith, 2008,) two might be useful for front and back. Any more and you are getting into cost - prohibitive territory.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 08, 2012, 07:17:55 pm »

it looks that good because I picked a good angle :P.
the rest is quite blocky. that is why I am redecorating.

how is progress of our orb of doom?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »

I'm still waiting for a bit of consensus on the latest design. :P

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 08, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »

I keep forgetting to try this game.  Out of curiosity, what's the delay between shots in some of the more powerful guns?  Depending on it, a good SotL would be rectangular, with guns on each side, designed to rotate rapidly to become a crazy machine gun thing.  By the time it rotates around again, the first side has reloaded.

Just a weird idea.  May be hard to control though.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 08, 2012, 07:58:23 pm »

Very quickly, there's no real cooldown period for guns, so one gun will serve as well.  There's no need to rotate barrels, as it were.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 08, 2012, 08:01:05 pm »

I'm hoping this changes for the bigger weapons in time. Hell, I'm hoping for customisable weapons but I love my hypotheticals. :P

Apart from bugfixes though, first new feature I'd like ---> physics interactions, allowing for non - explosive missiles and actual ramming damage.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 08, 2012, 08:25:12 pm »

All Large ships should have separate power supplys for each weapon bank, with armor around power supply.

do we have any hard data on weapons vs diffent metals?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 62