Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108604 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #525 on: November 06, 2012, 05:52:03 pm »

Are you using mods?
no.
Well the vanilla game is very limited, so you can't do anything with that sweet, sweet Uranium right now.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 06, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »

The connection issue will be altered in the future I imagine. It would allow for so many things (missiles, boarders, combat modules etc.)

"Sir! Our cruiser is badly damaged!"

"FIRE THE ARMOUR PLATING AT IT!"

*Jet powered plate of armour hits the cruiser and attaches*

"Good work men!"

Blazingfly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 06, 2012, 05:53:06 pm »

So is anyone else getting this offset bug?

I guess my dream of building a gigantic spaceship kinda died here.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 06, 2012, 05:54:23 pm »

Yeah, vanilla doesn't have recipes for middle and upper class items.  Suggest getting DarthNox itemset, and not the Chef Anon.  The CA thing has a LOT of crazy items that go above and beyond useful, like the quote "Turns out damage over 255 doesn't work, so to compensate I made the ROF higher."  Vanilla Anti-Frigate does 15 and his pack is going over 255?  That's just ridiculous.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 06, 2012, 06:01:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, that's quite common I think. I've only ever had it when messing with power systems though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Blazingfly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 06, 2012, 06:06:38 pm »

Yeah, that's quite common I think. I've only ever had it when messing with power systems though.

I figured it out - turns out that block was too far from my centre of mass and got decoupled. This may make building large ships ...hard.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 06, 2012, 06:15:46 pm »

I had it happen to me too. all I could do to fix it was moving centre of mass.

Blazingfly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 06, 2012, 06:21:13 pm »

Do blocks that were coupled to the centre of mass remain coupled when the centre of mass moves?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 06, 2012, 06:43:21 pm »

There seems to be a limit on how far you can build away from the center of mass before it becomes another stellar object.  You can shift the center to build more blocks, so it seems best to build your frame first, and then build inwards symmetrically.  I have no idea what would happen if you managed to shift the center far enough that the edge blocks were beyond the new center.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 06, 2012, 06:45:30 pm »

Always pushing things to the limit and breaking them, thats why we cant have nice stuff.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 06, 2012, 06:53:43 pm »

Again, this is alpha and I think most of these things will be changed significantly by the time MP rolls around.

MULTIPLAYER!!!!!!

I'm so goddamn excited for multiplayer... And also ship template saving

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 06, 2012, 08:15:13 pm »

I really don care about templates, but i agree MP will be fucking awsome, even without adding anything more it will be a huge step for the game.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:31 pm »

I really don care about templates, but i agree MP will be fucking awsome, even without adding anything more it will be a huge step for the game.

Yeah MP is gonna rock! :D I'd quite like template saving to avoid having to manually rebuild a ship after a huge battle, as long as I've got the resources I'd rather the AI do it for me. :)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 06, 2012, 11:03:12 pm »

With the half off set blocks it's a bug with the placement script stuff.  Delete the blocks that are doing it and go into your item set XML file in your corneroids\content\blocksets and find all the "modelPlacement" tags that have decimal values and change them to the nearest whole number.

Don't just change all decimals or you'll end up changing the size of things.

Edit: Also presenting my newest ship: The Recurve light assault ship

Featuring 14 Heavy assault cannons, a spartan command center in the rear of the ship, a double airlock door system, and a light titanium interior layered with a heavy titanium shell.
It is designed for strafing maneuvers handled by one person.  I'll be redoing it with two controls, one for flying around and the other for combat.  Basically the difference will be with the belly engines.  You'll be able to get to speed on approach, turn and use the belly thrusters to keep momentum up while circling around and away.

Also some size comparison shots with the Iron Monger.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:54:25 am by Shooer »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 07, 2012, 05:53:22 am »

I finally finished the hull of my spaceship, same as the old one ( but bigger and MUCH heavier)

then I decided to run some math.
I solved the problem for rolling around the main ship axis, with 2 engine blocks, of 2 powerful hydrogen thrusters each, floating free. ( so a 2 arm problem with massless arms)
the answer is that rc= sqrt(Is/K) where K is the combined mass of all the engines. 20*4=80.
with a bit ( quite a bit) of exageration in calculating Is ( I assumed it was a cylinder), the result is 36.
considering that I exagerated Is and that I didn't consider arms nor power sources and engine case, the true result is going to be lower.

still likely to be a relatively large number. not even close to what rotation around the other 2 axis would be however. in this kind of design, Is on any axis that is not that of ship's length is going to be utterly massive.  I predict that for every reasonable value of r ( reasonable being any distance at which you can still attach stuff to your ship), turning rate is going to increase the farther you go. rolling rate would however decrease.

this leads me to believe that it would be optimal to have rolling engines and turning engines in separate places along the axis.
first you would build the turning engines, with their arms. then calculate the new Is, considering turning engines and arms too, and add rotational thrusters at the optimal point.

of course, all the stuff above refers to my style of ship. Shooer's recurve assault ship would be handled differently for example.
and in general smaller ships have optimal points closer to the axis.

small note: earleir I considered Ia ( moment of inertia of arms) to be function of r^2. that, however, is not true. since mass increases with length as well, Ia grows with the cube of distance.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62