Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 108607 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #360 on: November 04, 2012, 08:17:23 pm »

Oh, right! :D

In that case, it's very good. People doing spacewalks are generally going to have it very bad, I imagine, with all the automatic weapons and such, and the fact that most ships will be outpacing them. :P

The effectiveness of the boarders depends not only on skill but on equipment. I think the defences would mince up dudes with just Cobalt SMGs, but if they are armoured in Pontium and have those Green Minigun things then you're screwed. :P

If / when upgrades come out so you're able to upgrade the ROF / Damage etc of your guns, then that could be counteracted somewhat. I'm just now concerned about one dude in UBERGRAU armour tearing up my hull and getting inside. XD

EDIT : Shooer that looks AMAZING! When you say Miner, I assume it has a BigAss lazer? :D

DOUBLE EDIT : Simple new battle strategy - build crappy fighter. Buzz enemy ships as close as possible. Watch enemy ship(s) blow itself (each other) up. No weapons required! XD
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:20:06 pm by Korbac »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 04, 2012, 08:24:54 pm »

If you're outclassed then you're dead anyways.  But if the enemy is coming at you in Pomium armor, then you should have some Thulium-Iron or Pomium ship hull, which will take time to cut through.  They're pretty much gonna have to take out your defenses before they start cutting, or else bring a boarding ship to protect themselves from incoming fire.  Then there's always the cheating function of putting more armor on your ship to protect themselves, build a wall quickly to hide behind.  Hopefully the game will get shipyards that allow instant-building, and doing work in open space will require some amount if time to place blocks, to avoid having people spam walls instantly.  Or just play the "rule of honor" and don't place any blocks during combat.  Or maybe place only certain blocks, like only titanium, aluminum, and iron can be placed in-combat to patch holes, but pomium, thulium-iron, and redium-titanium are off limits during combat.

And then there's always the main ship cannons.  Depending on where you position them, they may be able to fire on hull cutters.  Also fighter craft would be useful to scraping off spacewalkers.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 04, 2012, 08:30:44 pm »

Good points. :) Actually, come to think of it, a boarder could actually just ADD a ton of stuff to the craft (e.g. heavy iron) to make it impossible to steer. Didn't think about that!

Also, do engines have to be visible externally to work? Can't you just store them inside a 'safe place'? I admit that might be a little cheesy.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:37:46 pm by Korbac »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 04, 2012, 08:57:37 pm »

You could, but you would have to build around where the thrust would be.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 04, 2012, 09:03:44 pm »

Engines have like 3-4 blocks of "occupied" space that you can pass through, but cannot place blocks.  I think they also have physics, so if you tried to fly a ship very close to the engines they'd collide with the exhaust.

But there's nothing stopping you from encasing them.  In fact it may be a good place for the crew to hide, as it'd be an open area to fit in, and yet armored to prevent getting your engines shot out.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 04, 2012, 09:09:47 pm »

Yeah, it sounds like a good idea. The only problem is it means hovering borg cubes with no engines now have a seeming advantage over star ship enterprise type layouts. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 04, 2012, 09:12:46 pm »

The Enterprise would never get straight thrust anyways, the engines are too high on the center off mass and that huge saucer section is just a massive barn's broadside begging to be shot from the top or bottom.  Plus the engines are unshielded, it's total noob work.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 04, 2012, 09:19:35 pm »

The Enterprise would never get straight thrust anyways, the engines are too high on the center off mass and that huge saucer section is just a massive barn's broadside begging to be shot from the top or bottom.  Plus the engines are unshielded, it's total noob work.

Oh my god.

XD

WELL WHEN YOU PUT IT LIKE THAT

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »

Actually, an enterprise style ship might not be bad.

Efficient, even - heavy shielding on the front of the disk would be trivial and resources efficient, a very slim and hard to hit target (relatively) when it's bearing down on you.

If you're coming at it from above or below, it's already lost anyway, but it /does/ have shields in an emergency. But as a 1 on 1 strike ship...

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 04, 2012, 09:28:13 pm »

Here's an interesting thought: What if our defensive fleet was comprised entirely of glass cannons that can 1-shot just about anything and can turn pretty quickly?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 04, 2012, 09:33:11 pm »

As a one-on-one you could design it better, still.  That sort of "narrow profile strafe ship" would pretty much be a Redium-Titanium pyramid which is used to hide the powerful strafing and reverse engines, used to evade fire and keep itself at maximum range.  A spinal-mounted main gun would probably be the main punching power, being able to whittle the enemy down over time, but it may do to make a few outstretched arms mounted with batteries of turreted guns.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 04, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »

Pretty colors
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also not heavy enough, must be bigger.

Also an idea for the next version will be a kind of manual switch where I can change the power from the engines to the cannon battery.  Make the ship just a little bit cheaper to make.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:57:48 pm by Shooer »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 04, 2012, 09:57:04 pm »

The /vg/ thread suggested 300 being a "very heavy ship".  At over 400 you're doing pretty heavy already.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 04, 2012, 09:58:41 pm »

I guess 511 (mass as of time of posting) is just a little heavy then?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 04, 2012, 10:05:18 pm »

hmm you don't have to only make ship it looks like you can make space stations and the like they would be good for multiplayer I would think
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62