Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caravan unpacks for 16 days, then leaves...  (Read 2626 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan unpacks for 16 days, then leaves...
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:40:42 pm »

What is this...

My depot is fully accessible not far from the edge of the map, dwarves bring 8 wagons... My broker sits there for 16 days waiting for them to unload, then there are no merchants trading right now.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan unpacks for 16 days, then leaves...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »

First of all, Your Broker was waiting for them? HOW YOU DO THAT MAGIC MAN.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:46:03 pm »

Wait, you said there were merchants, then they were gone. Erm...

Did you notice your merchants vaporize?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:07 pm »

Drugs. Lots and lots and lots of mind-altering, enchanting, DRUGS!

Wait, you said there were merchants, then they were gone. Erm...

Did you notice your merchants vaporize?

No, they kept saying that "we're still unloading, please wait" and then they suddenly started packing. Worst merchants ever.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:24:43 pm »

Haha, I thought the same thing. The last caravan I had had to wait for a month because my broker went "Drink, On Break, Eat, Sleep, On Break, Drink, On Break" or something really similar. Almost killed him over it, but he sensed it and went to trade.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:25:56 pm »

Is the journey to your depot REALLY far?

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:06 pm »

Yeh, what Loud said. If i recall theres a set limit to the amount of time merchants will spend on map.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:34:52 pm »

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:46:22 pm »

Actual distance from the edge, red are the three spawn points that I've observed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:21 pm »

Your walls are so much prettier than my square setups.

But, on topic: Did any of the merchants die somehow? Attacked by wild animals, ambushed by kidnappers, crushed in bridges... ? Because that would cause the rest to leave, though I think they'd still finish unpacking first (due to being machine logic creatures and all).
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:45:02 pm »

Did any of the merchants die somehow? Attacked by wild animals, ambushed by kidnappers, crushed in bridges... ? Because that would cause the rest to leave, though I think they'd still finish unpacking first (due to being machine logic creatures and all).

No, the merchants were simply somehow stuck unpacking. One wagon was sticking out one tile out of the depot, possibly gridlocked.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 11:53:48 pm »

not far from the edge of the map
A stone can be 1 tile away from a Dwarf yet take thousands of tiles to walk to reach it.

In any case, the only other explanation I can currently think of is that your caravans brought ridiculous amounts of stuff to the point where they couldn't unload it all in time.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 12:40:20 am »

In any case, the only other explanation I can currently think of is that your caravans brought ridiculous amounts of stuff to the point where they couldn't unload it all in time.

This happens to me pretty frequently; well, not usually to the point of missing them completely, but when you've got a wagon sticking out like that you know you've got quite a haul. I don't think there's much you could have done to solve it, though it might have been caused by requesting too much stuff from the diplomat.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:41 am »

It happens mostly, at least for me, when the season changes from Autumn to Winter while they're still unpacking.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 03:47:55 am »

Yup, sounds right.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!
Pages: [1] 2