Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Federal case may undermine Americans' rights to resell their property  (Read 812 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

There's a case coming up before the supreme court challenging the right of the American people to resell their own legally purchased property if the items in question were manufactured outside of the country (which means more or less every mass produced product on the market). If the courts side with the plaintiff it would make things like eBay, libraries, and even yard sales illegal.

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-10-12/finance/34240922_1_copyright-iphone-consumer-groups

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/06/if-youve-ever-sold-a-used-ipod-you-may-have-violated-copyright-law/258276/

If you have the time please sign a petition asking the government to side with the people rather than with copyright trolls and boycott all products made by John Wiley and Sons INC.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Federal case may undermine Americans' rights to resell their property
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:26:46 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't have a ghost of a chance of coming into any force. I mean, I can, to some extent, see the point made for the specific case, but the idea of all foreign made stuff being effectively non-transferable is patently ridiculous.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 07:02:08 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't have a ghost of a chance of coming into any force. I mean, I can, to some extent, see the point made for the specific case, but the idea of all foreign made stuff being effectively non-transferable is patently ridiculous.

The idea of trying to KILL resale is a very common occurance and I once again Beseach people to actually read their ESRBs and actually see what crud they try to pass off in there.

It is very likely more companies then people think are backing this case.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:19:42 pm »

Quote from: The lower court decided
But it decided that, if its interpretation of the law should lead to these bizarre conclusions, Congress could sort it out later,

That's rather ... irresponsible. :P

Eh, I hope that it comes to the proper conclusion.
I also learned a new word, "friend-of-the-court" and its Latin counterpart.

I see that multiple companies would have viewpoints in this, such as Costco, Ebay, Walmart, and other resellers who would pretty much be shut down, while manufacturers could want this law to be passed.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward