Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: silk strange mood  (Read 1545 times)

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
silk strange mood
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:44:12 pm »

what do i do if a strange mood asks for silk?

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: silk strange mood
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:48:13 pm »

Get... silk?
If you havent breached (and cleared) the caverns, pray for a caravan that bears some.
Better yet, get some from a caravan beforehand and forbid it.
May not help much now, though.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

pr0d4u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:51:45 pm »

Easy way: buy some if traders are available and bring silk.

May be more 'fun': try to find webs in the caverns. Collect webs (weaving labor dwarf) and make silk (cloth) at a loom.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:59 pm »

Wall up the workshop. Nothing good comes from silk moods.

Unless it's a metal mood, by a dwarf that likes weapons or armor. Then follow the above advice.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 06:35:51 pm »

Unless it's a metal mood, by a dwarf that likes weapons or armor. Then follow the above advice.

Unless something's changed in the last few versions, a silk cloak/hood can actually be good protection against blunt attacks.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »

Silk is pretty good for everything, and the easiest way is build a weavers near a cavern, open the cavern, the weaver should grab some webs.  The webs are usually here and there even if there is no giant cave spider actually present. Getting swarmed by crundles is the bigger problem but your weaver should work fast enough.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:30 pm »

Unless something's changed in the last few versions, a silk cloak/hood can actually be good protection against blunt attacks.

Soft armor is pretty terrible against blunt attacks, actually. The only thing a silk/cloth/wool clothing item is good for defense-wise is turning bites, scratches etc. (i.e. weak non-blunt attacks) from tearing damage which can open arteries to blunt damage that only causes bruising and the occasional fracture. But against a mace or war hammer, they're practically useless.

The webs are usually here and there even if there is no giant cave spider actually present.

Those come from common cave spiders, which are vermin. FYI
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 02:36:01 am »

I tend to let them build thier artifact if possible. It keeps the deaths down and sometimes you get those legendary rolls. Besides even if its a worthless artifact its unlikely that it will bring any harm. Only if you have completely neglected you defenses will one artifact make that much diffrence.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:14:46 am »

So... a single Artifact sock isn't considered good these days?

The only thing I wall up are workshops demanding candy. Except for Armorers and Weaponsmiths. Anything else can be easily obtained by caravans.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:20:59 pm »

Soft armor is pretty terrible against blunt attacks, actually. The only thing a silk/cloth/wool clothing item is good for defense-wise is turning bites, scratches etc. (i.e. weak non-blunt attacks) from tearing damage which can open arteries to blunt damage that only causes bruising and the occasional fracture. But against a mace or war hammer, they're practically useless.

The webs are usually here and there even if there is no giant cave spider actually present.

Those come from common cave spiders, which are vermin. FYI

Well, I remember seeing mace blows being deflected by silk. Hammers' lower contact area probably does make it much more effective.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »

So... a single Artifact sock isn't considered good these days?

The only thing I wall up are workshops demanding candy. Except for Armorers and Weaponsmiths. Anything else can be easily obtained by caravans.

A single artifact sock is _terrible_. Would you want to wear mismatched socks?
Now, if someone paid an arm and a leg for it, however, they'd have just one foot...
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:48 pm »

A single artifact sock is _terrible_. Would you want to wear mismatched socks?

Jokes aside I would like you to try make the dwarves wear matching socks. No really. Clothes and armor is such a headache I make a mountain of it and hope they fix it on thier own. The only thing I do is change the armor settings in on the military so that they will wear the best type of armor (ex: breastplate, not chainmail and helms, not caps). Trying to micromanage all 120 dwarves is just not worth it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 04:21:00 pm »

the traders actually left before i got the mood. oh well, he went insane. he was worthless anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:25:09 pm »

the traders actually left before i got the mood. oh well, he went insane. he was worthless anyway.
Now Thats the spirit!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 07:20:09 am »

best type of armor (ex: breastplate, not chainmail

can't dwarves in DF mode wear breastplate over chainmail?
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.
Pages: [1] 2