Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most powerful possible vanillia character.  (Read 4992 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most powerful possible vanillia character.
« on: October 24, 2012, 01:00:05 pm »

I would like to find out what the most powerful character would be like, and how you would train him/her up.

The rules are that you are not allowed to get things from a fort you make, and not cheat.

I will edit things to this list if this tread doesn't drown in its own vomit.

Race:
Dwarf if you are lucky enough to find steel armor.
Human if you aren't lucky enought.
I guess elves need small armor too, so about them vs dwarves, i dont think the extra speed is better than a martial trance in any way.

Attributes:
(Your power from having compagnions are the lowest priority.
I guess low in the useless skills, and memory and knapping-attribute.

Skills:
Legendary+inf in everything. (lol wut?)

And of course necro.
Maybe thrall?
Vampire or werebeast?

Auroros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most powerful possible vanillia character.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »

Definitely Vampire.
I become a Vampire always as soon as Possible, then I rock everything!
Except Bowmen D: The Strongest Weapons are truly Bows.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 03:49:11 pm »

Vampirism can be super-cool if your speed is crap most of the time, but remember that SPEED IS EVERYTHING, and if you're too overloaded with muscles (strength) from the 3x attribute bonus from vampirism, then you won't be able to move nearly as fast. Before becoming a vampire, save and make a backup of the save and test it out. If your speed drops below 1100 with your minimum gear load, then don't become a vampire. If your speed with minimal clothing/light armor and weapon/shield was already below 1100, then vampirism will probably be beneficial anyway. Consider becoming a werebeast, though, because that will permit you to recover from injuries once a month, not to mention the possible strengths of the wereform if you choose to fight on the full moon (in the nude, with only a shield and weapon...)

Now, I find that I have the best luck with humans. Try a human axeman, dumping a lot of points into shield/dodging skills, with novice reading and swimming. Attributes; capitalize on agility and strength, toughness, endurance, and willpower. Once in-game, don't take a lot of risks and fight weaker animals (not necessarily grinding, but do a lot of hunting) before taking on dangerous quest targets like bandit leaders or semi-megabeasts.

Naturally and without modding, you can only raise your attributes to 2x their starting values, roughly, so it's important to start with higher attributes.
For skills, swim a lot in WARM environments that don't freeze at night.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:53:32 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:24:16 am »

Vampirism can be super-cool if your speed is crap most of the time, but remember that SPEED IS EVERYTHING, and if you're too overloaded with muscles (strength) from the 3x attribute bonus from vampirism, then you won't be able to move nearly as fast. Before becoming a vampire, save and make a backup of the save and test it out. If your speed drops below 1100 with your minimum gear load, then don't become a vampire. If your speed with minimal clothing/light armor and weapon/shield was already below 1100, then vampirism will probably be beneficial anyway. Consider becoming a werebeast, though, because that will permit you to recover from injuries once a month, not to mention the possible strengths of the wereform if you choose to fight on the full moon (in the nude, with only a shield and weapon...)

Now, I find that I have the best luck with humans. Try a human axeman, dumping a lot of points into shield/dodging skills, with novice reading and swimming. Attributes; capitalize on agility and strength, toughness, endurance, and willpower. Once in-game, don't take a lot of risks and fight weaker animals (not necessarily grinding, but do a lot of hunting) before taking on dangerous quest targets like bandit leaders or semi-megabeasts.

Naturally and without modding, you can only raise your attributes to 2x their starting values, roughly, so it's important to start with higher attributes.
For skills, swim a lot in WARM environments that don't freeze at night.
Nice, i usually just have an experimental character slaughter a village, and if he survives, id take it more seriously.
But this is a great idea, i guess ill do this.

What about weapons? In the 5 classes of weapons, which weapon(s) are flat out better, and then which ones are arguably better?
Pierceing stab attacks, aka spears, pikes even sword stabs.
Chopping slash attacks, aka axes, halberdiers and sword slashes.
Blunt attacks, aka hammers, maces, and pummel/handle strikes (or are they michelanious?)
Nonweapon attacks, aka shields, severed limbs and various items.
Ranged attacks, aka trown weapons, bows, xbows, darts and the like.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Weapon

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:27:16 am »

Piercing attacks tend to punch through armor better, and have a high chance of damaging vital organs. Slash attacks can of course remove limbs, but not at the same rate that piercing attacks can damage vitals. I never really had much success with blunt weapons; they take forever to do the same amount of damage that even a no-quality silver spear or sword can do.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:57:56 am »

The best has to be a necro though. You cannot die and having to drink blood is annoying.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:59:24 am »

I think a vampire dwarf is deadly, one bonus being a vampire is you don't not feel pain or care if bleeding, in an unlucky event your limb is biten off or bone fractured you can still smash someones head without breaking a sweat. I am not sure but if you can still enter martial trance as vampire then you are just beast mode.

And armor is kind of lame it hardly saves me ever at all and slows me down, the shield is my life saver.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 06:29:38 am »

I think a vampire dwarf is deadly, one bonus being a vampire is you don't not feel pain or care if bleeding, in an unlucky event your limb is biten off or bone fractured you can still smash someones head without breaking a sweat. I am not sure but if you can still enter martial trance as vampire then you are just beast mode.

And armor is kind of lame it hardly saves me ever at all and slows me down, the shield is my life saver.

You can enter trances as a vampire.

I personally think it is far better than Zombification, as you can still have normal conversations with people.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

RandolphCarter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:14:36 am »

What about weapons? In the 5 classes of weapons, which weapon(s) are flat out better, and then which ones are arguably better?

There is a longsword of a certain metal, isn't there?
So if we are talking about the most powerful possible Adventurer, I would go with a swordsman.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:19:42 am by RandolphCarter »

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »

I suggest that you wear chain leggings as opposed to plate greaves. Extensive testing has shown that plate armor does nothing at all against metal bolts/arrows in the current version of dwarf fortress, while chain mail provides modest protection.  Multiple layers of chain mail do not improve protection, so the best possible protection would be to wear chain mail shirt and leggings, breastplate, helm, gauntlets and high boots.

Given that all armor performs extremely poorly against projectiles, I definitely would recommend investing in/training shield and dodge skills.  Also, being immune to pain is a huge benefit, as arrows chip bones extremely often.

You might even consider not using plate armor at all, as it's very heavy, but probably your adventurer will be strong enough that he won't be slowed down too much by the weight.  Also, it definitely does help in melee combat. 

Technically, if you want the best possible protection for a vanilla adventurer, you should just wield 10 or so shields.  Use the lightest material possible, as all shields block equally well.  This is a filthy exploit of course, but doesn't actually involve modding...

If you want to mod bows to behave somewhat less like railguns, you could consider reducing [SHOOT_FORCE] for bows and crossbows (in /raw/objects/item_weapon.txt) to something between 25 and 50.  There is some discussion of this on page 9 of the testing thread mentioned above, as well as in this thread.  Bottom line, even reducing [SHOOT_FORCE] to 25 has almost no impact on bolt effectiveness against targets which are naked or have armor inferior to the bolt material, but does cause bolts to deflect off of targets with iron/steel armor relatively often.  While modding of course is not vanilla, I think there is a clear argument that bows are currently overpowered to the point of being broken.  Also, we do not yet fully understand how deflection works, so I can't say what modding is required to get a "realistic" behavior for bows, or if this is even possible through just modding the raws.

edit: I haven't found it possible to survive long in vanilla adventure mode without either exploiting shields or sneaking everywhere, but maybe I'm just not very good at it...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:41:08 pm by Pirate Bob »

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 02:57:04 pm »

Lasher, hands down.
Silver lasher, shield user, armor user.

I've made and been successful with many builds in vanilla and the above was flat out the best.

Though shield user, armor user, unarmed wrestler is my favorite.
"I disarm you, throw your weapon at your buddy, than start breaking your fingers while strangling your buddy!"
Ha! Good times.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:00:49 pm by Burnup »
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »

Peasant, no skills, all attributes other than musicality and empathy - which are at superior and very high - taken down to very low. Oh, and human.

You might be laughing, but that's the most powerful adventurer you can spawn, according to a rather extended play of adventure mode since 0.34 was released.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 09:48:21 am »

Skills. Point blank. Train enough and you are completely invencible. I have an adventurer with 180 levels of fighter and 150 of shield user,
and he can hunt demons naked (with only shield).
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 12:58:12 pm »

Either swordsman or bowman. I would basically kill everything I was able to without getting myself killed until I was skilled enough to kill just about everything else.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 02:53:28 am »

Do not forget the crippling flaw of vampires, they are stat locked, their physical attributes CAN'T go up, so you might wanna hold off on that till you are stronger, and THEN become an invincible death machine.
Pages: [1] 2