Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ease of design  (Read 2790 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Ease of design
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:35:44 am »

Since a very long time, I have designed my fortresses using basic 11x11 blocks as a modular size base. Why 11x11? Because being able to use shift for cursor movement as well as measuring distances makes designing a lot easier for me. Anyone else that has a nifty little trick they use when designing their fortress?

I made a dfma map of my current fortress. See the result of my 11x11 base, and tell me what you think of it!

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-29850

Also, what should I do next?
Magma minefield?
some silly mega construction?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:39:25 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ease of design
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:55:45 am »

I also use the 11x11 trick. My generic "starter fortress" design is an 11x11x11 cube, plenty of space for the first few years. Much easier now that we can designate in 3D!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:41:44 am »

I do something very similar but do a 21*21*10 with another 21*21*10 down near the magma sea.

After looking at yours I am inspired to shake up my compact/minimalist style.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:49 am »

^--- I love that you call 4,410 tiles (21*21*10) "minimalist"! :)

Jase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:12:50 pm »

I'm using as well a fortress design based on the shift mode. 3-Tile wide paths with blocks of 23*23 (= 4 11*11 blocks or 16 5*5 workshop squares), which ist pretty adaptable but sometimes I think i should develope an more aethetic design and not using such cold and practical one

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:19:31 pm »

Dang, you guys build huge fortresses! What are you doing with all that space LOL? :)

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »

Pshah, no! Ease is for elves!

I make all my important rooms circles. Or fractals.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »

That's pretty expansive and roomy, my fortresses tend to be cramped mess of localized efficiency :D

Jase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 12:24:42 pm »

Well, circles are more elfish than easy ones, those round things are remindig me of nature, where everything is round.

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »

Want both architecture and ease of design?  Use Quickfort and designate the whole thing before you start.  In your quickfort design make sure to not designate the beginning parts of rooms.  This allows you to decide what sections of the fort will be mined simply by connecting the missing piece.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 01:28:05 pm »

i create a set of central 3x3 stairways all 20 blocks away from each other they are then joined in seperate ways depending on the floors purpose, dining=double doors on edges  housing=3 tile wide corridors i also try to ensure that it is all symmetrical to look better.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:07:35 pm »

That's pretty expansive and roomy, my fortresses tend to be cramped mess of localized efficiency :D
This.

I try to utilize 11 whenever making measurements, but For actual sizes Things are reandom and confusing.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:00:06 pm »

11x11 rooms are nice because when you take into consideration the perimeter walls, you have a pattern that repeats 12x12.  You can fit 4 5x5 rooms in that area, or 9 3x3 rooms, or 16 2x2 rooms.  It's really quite flexible.

In the beginning, in my first 11x11 room I fit workshops in 3 to a side.  The 1 tile space between them is good for a small material input stockpile.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »

^--- That's a good layout for 11x11. Another good one is a workshop in the exact center, with 1-tile staircases surrounding this workshop in the tiles diagonal to each corner. Then you can build other workshops off the central workshop in a "cross" pattern. The stairs make it super-efficient to move between floors, in fact it is more efficient that building horizontally, I believe. Any extra space on the floor can be used for stockpiles or living spaces, I like to put at least 1 bed and table/chair on each floor so dorfs can take quick breaks from work for a nap or snack!

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:47:05 am »

My Design is a 11x11 central rooom but with a 3x3 room in the center with 4 doorways going out NESW. this is the basis for my fort with 5 wide main hallways and 3 wide secondary halls. The design is repeatable and using stratigicly placed pilliars and doors alows me to seal the fort at selected points when nessesary. rooms are ussually 3x3, however corners tend to have 3x4 rooms and 3x3+2 rooms to make it all fit.

Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!
Pages: [1] 2