Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELPP STUPPID DWARFS ARE STUPID  (Read 1773 times)

newpirate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
HELPP STUPPID DWARFS ARE STUPID
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:47:50 pm »

alright basically i had put my milatry dwarfs to train i have the scheduling down, and when i go to the dwarf it says theyre going to archery practice and sit around like dumbasses, its been happening for couple years now (dwarf time) and they dont listen, they do go practice when i set them all to inactive or basically back to civilian work, its pissing me of can anybody help.

newpirate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: HELPP STUPPID DWARFS ARE STUPID
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:00:26 am »

they are designated to train and from the right direction when they go inactive they start training, emptying their quiver

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:51:30 am »

Well they won't always try to archery train. Sometimes they might want to do dodging demonstrations or something, and if they don't have a barracks assigned too, they'll just wander off to the meeting hall saying "cannot follow order."

If they're NEVER training while active, then another issue is at work here.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:54:05 am »

Try disabling their civilian duties. That gives them more time to train and can prevent a few annoying bugs.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:02:57 am »

The military screen is a pain in the metaphorical butt, so....
Assign all your marksdwarves the hunting labour! You can increase the fort's food income and train your military!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 03:09:25 am »

I've had the same problems in my latest fort..
Do your crossbowdwarves have access to quivers? If they do, disable training on any barracks for them so they won't do dodging demonstrations anymore. Also assign them "no scheduled order" on the (m)ilitary (s)chedule screen. This way, they will train if they have nothing else to do. Further disable any other labor for them. This works, but it's still slow.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 03:10:26 am »

Dwarves gotta do what a dwarf gotta do what a dwarf gotta do.

Ontopic:

Have you assigned them weapons yet?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 05:12:27 am »

I've noticed as well, that marksdwarves actually train at the archery range, while they're off-duty (no scheduled order).
However, if you assign them a barracks from a weapon rack/armor stand, as well as an archery range, they will go train in the barracks during training schedule. My marksdwarves rotate between 3 months training and 3 months off-time, and that way, are effectively training 12 months a year.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:52:50 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:25:16 am »

If they have metal bolts designated for combat and wooden bolts for training, and they grab metal bolts then they will never drop these metal bolts and will never grab the training bolts and as a result will never train at archery range.
If this is the case you can dump the metal bolts to make them train again.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27:22 am »

alright basically i had put my milatry dwarfs to train i have the scheduling down, and when i go to the dwarf it says theyre going to archery practice and sit around like dumbasses, its been happening for couple years now (dwarf time) and they dont listen, they do go practice when i set them all to inactive or basically back to civilian work, its pissing me of can anybody help.
DAMM THHOS STUPPID DORFFS AND THEY'RE STUPPID BEHAVVEOR IT REALY PISES ME OF
My wooden badge was delicious.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:07:12 am »

Assign all your marksdwarves the hunting labour! You can increase the fort's food income and train your military!
This is probably the worst thing you can do - enabling the Mining, Wood Cutting, or Hunting labor on a military dwarf will cause them to take off all of their armor and drop their weapons at the least convenient times.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:11:36 am »

Manaully giving your marksdwarves kill orders for any wildlife on your map is a much better idea, making sure to leave the hunting labour turned off. This way they keep thier gear equipped, and will happily go a-shooting whatever they see, levelling up and generating meat.
This is a blank sig.