Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: baby has died of dehydration  (Read 1856 times)

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
baby has died of dehydration
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:44:00 pm »

why does this happen? i have a fortress running perfectly fin, about a hundred adult dwarves, and practically constant childbirth, and the only thing more horrifying then the baby producing factory that is my fortress, is the fact that every so often a baby will die of dehydration for no good reason. the only thing worse is viewing the mothers thoughts and finding out shes ecstatic.

my personal theory is that a lot of the babies are from the same dwarf, and so she forgets to feed some of them, and doesnt care if a couple die. very dwarfy of her IMHO.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: baby has died of dehydration
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »

I'd think the baby isn't being held by the parent, and as such isn't being cared for
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:50:16 pm »

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:39:09 am »

That's what happens if the mom loses her hold on the baby and can't get to it again. Usually nobody else will bother to give it water, and it'll die before it gets to child age if it's too young to survive that long.

Make sure the mother can path to the baby, and if she's dead, make sure there are some idle dwarves with the feed patients/prisoners labor on, since they are the most likely to give the baby some water.

I'm assuming you want these babies around, since you're not setting the baby/child cap to prevent them from being born. But in case you don't want them--lower the baby/child cap to lower the birth rate.

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:41:34 pm »

how do i lower the cap? children are annoying, beer wasting, tantrum spiral causing, monstrosities.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 06:00:00 pm »

In data/init/d_init.txt

Code: [Select]
This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute
 cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your
fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap
 only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves
can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]